Lions 2022 Offseason Thread

TP_Fan

2 hours ago, buddha said:

i bet the eagles do better than the leafs...

I knew you’d make a comment. That, I appreciate, even though it hurts. The leafs/lions sports fan is a tortured soul, I’m not alone.

But, now I can turn my attention to the lions. It’s football time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

ESPN put out their latest power rankings and the Lions came in at number 30. Not that I put a ton of stock in those things but for the hell of it, if we go by their power rankings the Lions play a staggering 10 games against teams ranked number 23 or worse. 

i dont get why the lions would be ranked that low.  i know power rankings are stupid, but i just dont see the lions as in the bottom 5 in the league any more.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

i dont get why the lions would be ranked that low.  i know power rankings are stupid, but i just dont see the lions as in the bottom 5 in the league any more.

Yeah personnally think they're around 22nd to 25th. I was most surprised they had the Panthers 32, I know they're not going to be good but I didn't realize their team was THAT bad. I thought like the Lions they'd be in the low 20s but admittedly I haven't looked at their roster that deeply.

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah personnally think they're around 22nd to 25th. I was most surprised they had the Panthers 32, I know they're not going to be good but I didn't realize their team was THAT bad. I thought like the Lions they'd be in the low 20s but admittedly I haven't looked at their roster that deeply.

The Panthers seem like a team destined to crater. 

27 minutes ago, buddha said:

1) lol bears

2) this has the lions playing 8 games against teams ranked below them.

3) i think there is too much emphasis on what these young qbs did last year and doesnt factor in enough growth from them.

4) lol bears (again)

20220517_114139.jpg

I agree about the part about the young qbs. As easy as the Lions schedule looks the games against the Jets and Jaguars late in the season could be tough if Wilson and Lawrence take big steps forward. And yeah lol at the Bears but knowing them they'll pull some rabbit out of their hat and finish 9-8 and make the playoffs. Seems like every few years that happens. 

28 minutes ago, buddha said:

1) lol bears

2) this has the lions playing 8 games against teams ranked below them.

3) i think there is too much emphasis on what these young qbs did last year and doesnt factor in enough growth from them.

4) lol bears (again)

20220517_114139.jpg

How did the 49ers get rated below the Lions? Also a little puzzled by the Bengals. 

I think the Jets are going to be better than the second from the bottom team in the league. They have added a lot of talent over the past two seasons and as long as Wilson shows real growth and isn't a dud and Saleh can coach, I think they will make improvements and be better than second from the bottom.

I would still be surprised if SF deals Jimmy G. They were a dropped interception away from going to the Super Bowl with him, and there is too much smoke about Lance not being ready. I could see them bringing in Lance like Taysom Hill to give the offense a bit more juice and see if he can win trust and the job during the season. 

I do agree that the Jets will likely be better than advertised. 

If Zach Wilson takes a step forward, I could see the Jets being around 0.500. If he doesn’t, I think the Jets will be looking to replace him next offseason, and possibly a coaching carousel too. They have a fair bit of talent around him at this point.

I don’t see anyway the Bears snag more than 4 wins, even if Justin Fields turns into his comp of Deshaun Watson. Top to bottom they just have no talent. If they look to replace Fields, he could be an attractive trade prospect for a team that can’t get Stroud or Young to go, “just act like the last two years never happened”.

I think the Bears should have shopped Fields for draft capital this offseason. If they could have gotten 2-3 1st round picks for him, that would be a deal worth at least considering. That roster is the oldest in then NFL and they are 2-4 years away from being any good, even with a GM whose competent and makes the right moves. They have limited draft capital for the future and by the time they get to be respectable they will have wasted almost all of Fields rookie contract.

I don't understand why the Bears would get more for Fields after one bad year than they what they gave up to draft him? It probably goes to show the Lions are taking the right approach by building up the roster before going for broke on a QB. The Bears should have just rolled with Trubisky another year. 

nobody was going to trade multiple first round picks for justin fields.  its been one year, the bears are not giving up on fields and not drafting a qb next year.  

if they end up #1 they'll either be trading that pick for multiple #1 picks from a qb hungry team like the panthers, lions, vikings, giants, washington, etc etc etc.

7 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Jets may be one of the very few teams that had a better draft on paper than the Lions. Wilson in year two and I think they have the potential to be good. 

If SF isn't ready to go to Lance after investing so heavily in him, that's not a good sign. 

No it is not a good sign if Lance isn’t ready to go. But if Lynch and Shanahan kick Jimmy G to the curb knowing Lance is not ready, they would be putting themselves on the hot seat. 

6 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

No it is not a good sign if Lance isn’t ready to go. But if Lynch and Shanahan kick Jimmy G to the curb knowing Lance is not ready, they would be putting themselves on the hot seat. 

They should be on the hot seat if Lance is not the guy. They could have had Stafford for less. Not only did they not get Stafford, he went to a division rival and beat them in the NFC Championship game and won a Super Bowl.