Lions 2022 Offseason Thread

TP_Fan

Thinking about flying in with a friend from out here for the opening week game against the Eagles (he's a huge Eagles fan). May be looking for recommendations on lodging and what to fit into a quick weekend centered around the game. I haven't been back to Detroit in at least 7-8 years.

3 minutes ago, microline133 said:

Thinking about flying in with a friend from out here for the opening week game against the Eagles (he's a huge Eagles fan). May be looking for recommendations on lodging and what to fit into a quick weekend centered around the game. I haven't been back to Detroit in at least 7-8 years.

when we went back for a wings game a month ago, we stayed at the hilton garden inn downtown.  it was fine.  just a short walk to the stadium area.

44 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Nice to start at home for the first 2 and 3 of first 4. With the exception of Thanksgiving which starts at 12:30 all the games are at 1. I kinda figured no prime time games but surprised there isn't any 4pm games either, I suppose it's cause we don't play any road games in the west. 

Vs. Philly.........LOSS   23-38  0-1

Vs. Wash..........WIN 27 - 17   1-1

At Minn.........LOSS  13 - 19   1-2

Vs. SEA.............WIN 27-23   2-2

at NE...............LOSS  16 -24   2-3

at DAL.............LOSS 20-31   2-4

vs. MIA............WIN 34-17    3-4

vs GB......... LOSS 23-38     3-5

at CHI..........WIN  19-17     4-5

at NYG...........LOSS  16-24   4-6       

Vs. BUF..........LOSS 13-38    4-7

VS. JCK...........WIN 41-27   5-7

vs  MIN ............ LOSS   20-23  5-8

At NYJ..............LOSS 26-35   5-9

At CAR ..............WIN 30-27   6-9

Vs. CHI.............WIN  34 - 23    6-10

AT GB.............LOSS   13 - 45    7-10

At Home  5-4

On Road  2-6

Points Per Game   23.2  (up from 19.11)

Points PG Allowed 27.4  (same as last year)

NFC North
NFC North       
Green Bay 11-6
Minnesota 9-8
Detroit 7-10
Chicago 5-12

Edited by Motor City Sonics

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

At Home  5-4

On Road  2-6

NFC North       
Green Bay 11-6
Minnesota 9-8
Detroit 7-10
Chicago 5-12

12 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

At Home  5-4

On Road  2-6

NFC North
NFC North       
Green Bay 11-6
Minnesota 9-8
Detroit 7-10
Chicago 5-12

I think they could win as many as 8 games this year if Goff plays like he did the second half of the seasons, the defense takes a step forward and no major injuries occur. Having Hutch on the defense is itself a gigantic upgrade for the entirety of the defense because they'll finally be able to generate pressure on the QB and stop the run. That should by default make the back 7 better, even if there wasn't a major talent upgrade there.

Wins

Vs. Washington

Vs. Seattle

at CHI

at New York Giants

VS. Jacksonville

vs  Minnesota

At Carolina

Vs. Chicago

Losses

Vs. Philadelphia

at Minnesota

at New England

at Dallas

vs. Miami

vs Green Bay

Vs. Buffalo

At New York Jets

AT Green Bay

The only teams they are definitely worse than is Buffalo, Dallas and Green Bay. If they are healthy and aren't overly unlucky in close games they could win 9-10 games. They have a lot of talented young guys who may or may not be legit that could step up this year.

I expect Goff to be functional and when they have all the pieces in place on offense it could be around a top 10 unit, even with Goff. The defense will be better just by virtue getting a bunch of guys back healthy. Add in the guys they got in the draft and they will be much better. They still have huge holes at linebacker, a young DL, and need a #1 corner so they will still be below average.

Maybe it's too much kool-aid but they could make the playoffs if they hit on some of these top draft picks from the last couple of drafts.

The Lions lost 3 games last year on walk off FGs. The tied a game in which they missed the game winning FG in OT. They lost another game where they were down 4 with seconds left and threw an INT in the end zone. If everything would have went their way, they were a 7-8 win team. Even assuming half goes their way, they played like a 5-6 win team last year. Their three wins were against good teams. I believe they had more games lost due to injury than any other team. They were better than a 3 win team. They are also returning a young roster. Only Brockers is 30 or older. I could see this team winning anywhere from 5-9 games. 

Subject to change…. But right now I’ll say 8-9

Wins: v.Washington, v.Miami, v.GB, @Chicago, v.Jax, v.Minny, @Carolina, v.Chicago

Losses: v.Philly, @Minny, v.Seattle, @NE, @Dallas, @NYG, v.Buffalo, @NYJ, @GB 

NFC North

Green Bay (11-6)

Detroit (8-9)

Minnesota (7-10)

Chicago (3-14)

I think a very young team plays in streaks but provides a LOT of hope moving forward…. starting 1-5, climbing to 4-5 including an upset win against Green Bay, falling to 4-7 including a disappointing loss to the Giants, finally reaching 0.500 on the New Year against the Bears, and then falling _just_ short against the Packers with a chance at the playoffs. But leaving a TON of hope for next year.

i'm as happy with the direction of the lions as anyone, but there's a lot of kool aid here.

the lions offense should be better but goff caps their ceiling and they dont have any real game breakers other than jameson williams and he's coming off an acl and is a rookie receiver.  dont expect a world beater yet.  swift still has potential but cant stay healthy.  hock is a chain mover, not a game breaker.  

the defense is relying a TON on rookies, second year guys, and guys coming off very serious injuries (okwara and okudah).  their linebackers and secondary are not good.  the line has no real playmakers unless you think hutch comes in and dominates immediately (i dont).

i expect a 10-15 offense and a 20-25 defense, if they stay healthy.

two #1 picks next year hopefully get you a qb and a cb and a lb.  now you have something.

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

i'm as happy with the direction of the lions as anyone, but there's a lot of kool aid here.

the lions offense should be better but goff caps their ceiling and they dont have any real game breakers other than jameson williams and he's coming off an acl and is a rookie receiver.  dont expect a world beater yet.  swift still has potential but cant stay healthy.  hock is a chain mover, not a game breaker.  

the defense is relying a TON on rookies, second year guys, and guys coming off very serious injuries (okwara and okudah).  their linebackers and secondary are not good.  the line has no real playmakers unless you think hutch comes in and dominates immediately (i dont).

i expect a 10-15 offense and a 20-25 defense, if they stay healthy.

two #1 picks next year hopefully get you a qb and a cb and a lb.  now you have something.

Several of us here have said 7-8 wins. For me, I think if we have a schedule that lends itself to winning at least 5-6 games and then if Goff plays like he did in the second half of the season, we can pick up another 2-4 wins there. The weak schedule we have though will be our biggest benefactor though.

If that's optimistic, what is realistic in your mind? 4-6 wins?

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Honestly, I'm happy they don't have a primetime game.  Purely from a selfish fan-experience perspective but I enjoy the regularity of 1:00pm games.  I remember a few years back when they have a number of "non-standard" game times and I didn't like it as all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Several of us here have said 7-8 wins. For me, I think if we have a schedule that lends itself to winning at least 5-6 games and then if Goff plays like he did in the second half of the season, we can pick up another 2-4 wins there. The weak schedule we have though will be our biggest benefactor though.

If that's optimistic, what is realistic in your mind? 4-6 wins?

i guess i was responding to stanley.  but its not out of the realm of possibility.  the nfc is terrible.  the lions arent good but could luck their way into 10 wins.

in fact, i put a little money on the lions to finish second to the pack in the division this year...

I wasn't making the prediction that the Lions were going to win 10 games and go to the playoff's. It is reasonably possible if a few players step up, which is a lot different than the feeling going into the last couple of years.

By my count they play 6 games against teams with winning records from last year. So if the  young guys on the d-line step up, and the corners are ok i could see them surprising.