Lions 2022 Offseason Thread

TP_Fan

41 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

The offense played ok in what were essentially meaningless games after being eliminated from the playoffs.     I’m interested to see how they fare under the pressure to perform in games that matter.   

Really? They never had a shot at playoffs by any measure.  The games all meant the same, never once was there a chance at the playoffs with that roster.  

16 hours ago, Jason_R said:

I’m not sure Goff even needs to take a step forward. 

He started six games after Campbell took over playcalling. The team averaged 22.7 points during that stretch. Over a whole season that would have been good enough for 18th, just ahead of the Raiders, just behind the Ravens. 

In the eight games he started with Lynn calling plays they averaged 16.75 points. That would have been good for 29th, just ahead of HOU, NYG, JAX. 

Presumably the return of Ragnow, the additions of Chark and eventually Jaymo, and a full offseason with a new OC will help the offense improve even if Goff does not. It is not out of the question that, even with no improvement from Goff, the Lions could move from the 25th ranked scoring offense to the 15th. Still not great but respectable, even if Goff doesn’t improve appreciably from how he finished last season. 

When you consider those other factors, Ragnow, new OC, plus Jameson when he's healthy, Goff will almost certainly look better.

5 minutes ago, djhutch said:

When you consider those other factors, Ragnow, new OC, plus Jameson when he's healthy, Goff will almost certainly look better.

maybe.

pff ranked him the fourth worst starting qb in the league.  below justin fields, daniel jones, etc.

goff is a nice stop gap guy whose contract will be easy to get out of in a year.  hopefully they can upgrade by then.

If everyone stays healthy, I think Goff has a good season. That would sort of muddy the waters since he will be going into the last year of his contract. You either need to extend him or find his replacement. If he has a good season and the Lions flirt with the playoffs, I would try to do a Cousins type extension and add a year onto his contract. It gives you one more season to make the playoffs and advance. It allows the Lions to use their two 1st round picks on the roster. Gives you one more look at Goff and another chance at drafting his successor. 

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

maybe.

pff ranked him the fourth worst starting qb in the league.  below justin fields, daniel jones, etc.

goff is a nice stop gap guy whose contract will be easy to get out of in a year.  hopefully they can upgrade by then.

Goff is here a minimum of two years baring something unforeseen. He has 2022 to prove himself and 2023 as the bridge if the Lions draft a QB. That takes him to the end of his contract. 

1 hour ago, buddha said:

maybe.

Based on his performance last year.  In a new system, with an OC that he did not gel with.  He was a different QB at the end of the year.  I'm not predicting great things, I just would not be surprised to see him look better.

1 hour ago, djhutch said:

Based on his performance last year.  In a new system, with an OC that he did not gel with.  He was a different QB at the end of the year.  I'm not predicting great things, I just would not be surprised to see him look better.

based on more than last year.  he wasnt very good at the end in LA either.

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Goff is here a minimum of two years baring something unforeseen. He has 2022 to prove himself and 2023 as the bridge if the Lions draft a QB. That takes him to the end of his contract. 

they could cut him after next year and it wont cost them a ton.  if they keep him, they gotta pay him like $30 million, i think.  that's a lot for a backup qb, but they might want him around to break the new fella in.  or they could sign an andy dalton-type for about 1/3 of that.

Goff is not the fourth worst QB in the NFL. He looked ugly at the start of the season under a bad offense with no weapons. At the end of the season he was 17th in passer rating and 25th in QBR. Not great, but not fourth worst. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/passing.htm

Using the eyeball test, it looks like there were six tiers of QBs by QBR in 2021. Goff fits in tier 5, with people like Jones, Heinecke, Roethlisberger, Mills, Mayfield, Dalton, Lawrence, and Darnold. Tier 6 includes Wilson and Fields. I predict Goff's 2022 season will rank somewhere in the fourth tier, above the Teddy Bridgewater line. 

If so, I also think he will play for the Lions in 2023, as Holmes may decide to get his shutdown CB in the first round, rather than a QB. If this is the case, it wouldn't even surprise me if they sign Goff to an extension! In 2023 their defense should begin to solidify and barring injury they should compete for a playoff spot. 2024 is the earliest year the Lions could seriously compete and that is the last year of Goff's contract. 

Holmes has been in two front offices that traded to get this guy. They like him better than we do. 

25 minutes ago, Aar000n said:

I know this sounds crazy but I think the Lions could win the division 

That’s not even slightly crazy. It’s the normal cycle of being a Lions fan.    

Start off with high expectations thinking this will be the year and come December shake by your head saying Same Old Lions!   

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Start off with high expectations thinking this will be the year and come December shake by your head saying Same Old Lions!   

I have the three stages of a Lions season. Stage 1 high expectations lose close games but we can make a run stage 2 OK we're still in this we need to win some games stage 3 OK we lost close games all we need to do is draft the right guy. Maybe stage 4 off-season and reset. 

16 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I'm one to throw SOL around as much as any fan. However, if the smart off-season plan Brad Holmes has put together with good drafting and smart use of cap space is any indicator of future success, I don't think long term the cycle of SOL will continue with Holmes . . . IF (BIG IF) he gets the QB situation right and Campbell is the right guy for the job, I think Holmes has built a good enough roster to break the SOL cycle.

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The absolute worst thing that could happen is this team going 8-9 or 9-8.   Not good enough for the playoffs and likely out of the Top 10 in the draft.    So I am banking on that happening.............Oh, and a Tiger starting pitcher will get attacked by an eagle and will have to go on the injured list.  

Meh. The “absolute worst” thing draft position wise last year was the Rams winning the Super Bowl and that happening didn’t stop Holmes from leaving with an elite player for that pick… there are too many variables in any given draft to have a hard set “disaster” button, wherever you end up picking.

If someone at #4-8 is good enough and they want them, I’m sure Holmes could package #16, the Rams 1st, and something else to go get them.

7 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Meh. The “absolute worst” thing draft position wise last year was the Rams winning the Super Bowl and that happening didn’t stop Holmes from leaving with an elite player for that pick… there are too many variables in any given draft to have a hard set “disaster” button, wherever you end up picking.

If someone at #4-8 is good enough and they want them, I’m sure Holmes could package #16, the Rams 1st, and something else to go get them.

No, that won't happen.    Yeah, the Jameson Williams move was a great one.   Watch, he'll have an injury-prone career and will catch less than 200 passes in his Lions career.    

And they won't get the QB  the covet.  In fact, the Vikings or Bears will get them first and then that QB will torch the Lions for years. 

This is the Lions, man.   Good moves and Good intentions don't mean a thing.    They are cursed. 

I'll truly be happy if Matt Patricia never has any success again.   That's enough for me.  

Bob Quinn is probably managing a Wendy's and it's probably the least successful Wendy's in the area. 

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

No, that won't happen.    Yeah, the Jameson Williams move was a great one.   Watch, he'll have an injury-prone career and will catch less than 200 passes in his Lions career.    

And they won't get the QB  the covet.  In fact, the Vikings or Bears will get them first and then that QB will torch the Lions for years. 

This is the Lions, man.   Good moves and Good intentions don't mean a thing.    They are cursed. 

I'll truly be happy if Matt Patricia never has any success again.   That's enough for me.  

Bob Quinn is probably managing a Wendy's and it's probably the least successful Wendy's in the area. 

If you always look at it glass half empty, or just drain the cup altogether and say what’s the point… well, what’s the point?