Lions 2022 Offseason Thread

TP_Fan

26 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Also saw reports that Taylor decker sat out OTAs with lingering injuries that were residual from the last game of the season. That is one OL who is expendable for this team.  

youre the one who wanted justin fields over sewell.

On 5/26/2022 at 10:03 AM, MichiganCardinal said:

If you always look at it glass half empty, or just drain the cup altogether and say what’s the point… well, what’s the point?

Football is a GM's sport. Anytime you bring in a new FO it's fair to be hopeful because even bad ownership can stumble on a good GM.

29 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Football is a GM's sport. Anytime you bring in a new FO it's fair to be hopeful because even bad ownership can stumble on a good GM.

This is true. It makes the last 60 years of Lionsdom even more hard to explain. Especially the last 40 since they weren't really trying during the Russ Thomas era.

43 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

This is true. It makes the last 60 years of Lionsdom even more hard to explain. Especially the last 40 since they weren't really trying during the Russ Thomas era.

In little more than a season Brad Holmes has already distinguished himself as the best GM the Lions have had in the Super Bowl era.

I guess he still has time to revert to the SOL mean. 😂 But I like his chances of ushering the team into a new era of sustained competitiveness. 

17 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

In little more than a season Brad Holmes has already distinguished himself as the best GM the Lions have had in the Super Bowl era.

I guess he still has time to revert to the SOL mean. 😂 But I like his chances of ushering the team into a new era of sustained competitiveness. 

wait until we trade 3 #1 picks for cj stroud...

1 hour ago, Stanley70 said:

dont you dare mention that name in here.  that needs a trigger warning.

44 minutes ago, buddha said:

wait until we trade 3 #1 picks for cj stroud...

It's interesting how the narrative has shifted over the years. Dan Marino, John Elway, Drew Brees -   great QBs who could not consistently get their teams deep in the playoffs - you could list a lot more. So the narrative was that a good QB was a piece of the puzzle but you wouldn't get far without the pieces around him.  But it seems that with Rodgers, Mahomes, and Brady - their teams are there every year, and there is a shift in the narrative toward the side that 'if you find *that* guy - you are golden almost regardless of what else you do". Of course not completely, but more than in the past. Is it because we are getting QBs so good that they dominate like they never could in the past, or maybe the game keeps shifting to where the QB position is more and more dominant than ever.

35 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's interesting how the narrative has shifted over the years. Dan Marino, John Elway, Drew Brees -   great QBs who could not consistently get their teams deep in the playoffs - you could list a lot more. So the narrative was that a good QB was a piece of the puzzle but you wouldn't get far without the pieces around him.  But it seems that with Rodgers, Mahomes, and Brady - their teams are there every year, and there is a shift in the narrative toward the side that 'if you find *that* guy - you are golden almost regardless of what else you do". Of course not completely, but more than in the past. Is it because we are getting QBs so good that they dominate like they never could in the past, or maybe the game keeps shifting to where the QB position is more and more dominant than ever.

they changed the rules to make passing easier.  now the game revolves around passing effectively.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's interesting how the narrative has shifted over the years. Dan Marino, John Elway, Drew Brees -   great QBs who could not consistently get their teams deep in the playoffs.... So the narrative was that a good QB was a piece of the puzzle but you wouldn't get far without the pieces around him.  But it seems that with Rodgers, Mahomes, and Brady - their teams are there every year, and there is a shift in the narrative toward the side that 'if you find *that* guy - you are golden almost regardless of what else you do". Of course not completely, but...

Like with Matt Stafford?

17 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's only "on paper" at this point but I don't think the Lions have had a top 3 O-Line in my lifetime. 

probably a reason they haven't won much! In the 70's Freitas and Flanagan were all-pros, those lines blocked for Mel Farr and were decent. They were on their way to having a good OL in the 90's with Lomas Brown, Kevin Glover (all pros) with Andolsek and Utley young and improving and then we lost them both. Since then it's been pretty barren - and they hung with Riaola and Backus waaaay too long.

I hope the line can find their identity this year. Between injuries, Sewell being a rookie, and Decker playing the victim card in the media, last year had a lot of moving pieces.

If they can all find their identity, mesh, and stay healthy, I think it’s a real possibility that they are the best line in the league in a year or two.

On 5/26/2022 at 10:20 PM, TP_Fan said:

Also saw reports that Taylor decker sat out OTAs with lingering injuries that were residual from the last game of the season. That is one OL who is expendable for this team.  

He's not expendable right now.

• Like 1

Every year there is a worst-to-first team.  Last year the Bengals went all the way to the Super Bowl  (I told you they'd be better than we thought, but had no idea it would go that far).  

My Power Rankings for this year's worst-to-first sweepstakes

#8 - Seattle - Drew Lock?  Geno Smith?   Um, no

#7 - NY Jets -  They had a great draft, but sorry, not with Buffalo in that division

#6 - Jacksonville - They'll be better but not worst-to-first with the Colts and Titans in that division

#5 - Carolina - Still don't have a solid QB, but there is always a shot if they stay healthy. Maybe Brady suddenly gets old or Todd Bowles doesn't click as  head coach, maybe the Saintws are the Aints again, maybe Atlanta will run out of luck.  

#4 - Detroit -  I still think Green Bay has a stranglehold on the division, for at least one more year

#3 - NY Giants - I think the Lions are better than the Giants are good, but I don't think the NFC East is very good either and the division has a history of surprising us

#2 - Denver - It's a monster division but Russell Wilson is a game-changer and has plenty of weapons

#1 - Baltimore - By a mile.  The difference between first and last in the AFC North was 2 games.