Lions 2022 Offseason Thread

TP_Fan

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

when you're one of the highest paid state employees in ohio, there's no rush to leave.

lol touche. On a serious note I think it was because he was a 4 year starter, I had that same feeling with John Navarre with Michigan. I used to joke with people that he was on "The Van Wilder plan" cause it seemed like he was our QB forever. 

On 7/23/2022 at 12:13 PM, MichiganCardinal said:

That’s nice and all, but he was still short.

Stoney had a zinger this morning on the radio, the cohost filling in for Jansen said something like "Aside from Goff I think Swiff is the most important player on the team, if he goes down they may struggle to hit that over"

Stoney: "Well we could always bring up our new coach JT Barrett, he's great in short yardage situation." 

• Haha 1

The Athletic polled 50 NFL coaches,scouts and evaluators their qb rankings and Goff came in at 22 in Tier 3.

This is how they define tier 3 

"TIER 3

A Tier 3 quarterback is a legitimate starter but needs a heavier running game and/or defensive component to win. A lower-volume dropback passing offense suits him best."

This Tier features guys like Cousins,  Hurts,  Mayfield, Winston,  Jimmy G along with Goff. Their opinion of Goff is basically what the optimist fans views are and that is he is good enough to win with if you have a strong running game and defense around him but not the guy who can carry a sub part supporting cast.

On 7/27/2022 at 2:34 PM, MichiganCardinal said:

Really encouraging.

If Okudah can come back and even be a solid starting CB then the Lions have the makings of a really good set of corners with him, Oru and Jacobs who says he plans to be ready by the start of the season.

Also despite having a rough rookie season I have high hopes for Melinfowu whether it's at db or safety. I think his physical tools are too good to not have some success in the league, particularly with this coaching staff. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

If Okudah can come back and even be a solid starting CB then the Lions have the makings of a really good set of corners with him, Oru and Jacobs who says he plans to be ready by the start of the season.

Also despite having a rough rookie season I have high hopes for Melinfowu whether it's at db or safety. I think his physical tools are too good to not have some success in the league, particularly with this coaching staff. 

i thought melifonwu looked overmatched at corner.  he got left in the dust a few times.

he was a zone corner in college and probably doesnt have the game speed to be a top nfl corner.

i think the lions secondary and dline have potential to grow.  if the potential pays off for a few guys, they might have something.

linebacker?  well....barnes might be ok!  roquan smith might be a free agent next year...

They already announced that Melonfonwu will be moved to safety. And Harris will be moved to corner. I'm not counting on either of them this year. 

They have a ton of raw talent on defense, not sure how many of them are football players at this point though.

Edited by Stanley70

The other day Sirius XM’s “Moving the Chains” show with Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller was at Lions training camp. They interviewed Campbell and Holmes, and in both interviews you could hear the consistency in their visions. They talk about grit and how they have gotten players who reflect this. They also interviewed D’Andre Swift who talked about it. 

The most interesting thing was the interview with Jared Goff. He sounded confident and in command. He said his goal for the preseason was to execute on his third and fourth reads. Sure, I’ll believe it when I see it, but I didn’t expect to hear Goff so dialed in.  

Jim Millet is a homer, but Pat Kirwan has always been skeptical of the Lions (and rightly so). I was surprised to hear Kirwan start to gush a little bit about Holmes and Campbell. They are building it the right way, and though he doesn’t expect more than 8 wins for the Lions this season, he expects them to be in playoff contention by next season. 

Edited by Jason_R

too many good vibes for the lions.

espn had their statistical projection for offensive lines up the other day.  lions were ranked 26th.  bears, headed by the amazing riley rieff, were 15th.

im not a big lions homer, but i think that's cause for a re-evaluation of your algorithm.

Yeah, I'd like to know how they are judging that.  I'm sure this isn't new information to anyone here but I think football is one of the hardest sports to judge individual or unit performances on.  Soooo much of your (or your units) performance relies on how the rest of the team does. 

An elusive RB makes your OL look better at run blocking... 
A QB with a quick trigger means sacks and pressures are reduced... 
A great receiving corps makes the QB able to have a quicker trigger... 
A great defense that limits opposing scoring means you're not reduced to just a big pass playbook...

Makes it hard to just look at simple numbers of draw a conclusion.  Presumably ESPN also knows this and is trying to evaluate on more than just raw numbers.  But I'd agree that something isn't right with their equation if this is what the results are.

On 8/7/2022 at 12:46 PM, buddha said:

too many good vibes for the lions.

espn had their statistical projection for offensive lines up the other day.  lions were ranked 26th.  bears, headed by the amazing riley rieff, were 15th.

im not a big lions homer, but i think that's cause for a re-evaluation of your algorithm.

I've been as knee jerk negative as they get with this team over the years and I can see the complete transformation of this roster occurring and them getting better. Ridiculous formula, whatever it is, being used by ESPN. This is especially true with the growth and development of their Oline. I think we have a real shot at having a top 10-top 5 Oline this season given that they all have another year together now.

It’s based on performance over the past two seasons. 

This, of course, is asinine in the NFL. And while it is admittedly slightly less asinine when applied to offensive lines, how does it apply in any meaningful way to a team like the Lions where arguably the best lineman has only played one season? 

I wonder how the QB rankings will look when they consider Bobby Layne. 

16 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Roquan Smith wants to be traded from the Bears. He's only 25 and still has tread on the tires. Would you trade for him and what would you be willing to give up?

if you do, you'll have to sign him to a huge deal.  darius leonard money.  not sure you want to put that kind of money in the basket of an off ball linebacker.  which is probably why the bears are shopping him.  resource allocation.

the bears will have the most cap space in the league next year and they arent going to use it on him.  the lions seem like they will have cap space; however, a lot of it is going to be used up with raises coming to players already on the roster.  not sure you want to spend $20m per year and $55m guaranteed on a linebacker in today's nfl.

otoh, smith is one of the best lbs in the league and fills a definite position of need.

bears will want a #2 pick, of course.  would you give up a 2 and a 5?  or a 3?

If we were one year ahead in our rebuild timeline and ready to be a playoff contender I would trade for him. I'd start by offering a 2nd round pick and if the Bears want more I'd offer a 2nd + 4th. We're not where we need to be yet to trade for a player like Smith and so presently, I would pass on trading for him.