Lions 2022 Offseason Thread

TP_Fan

Denver would be my pick even with them playing it that tough decision. They went 9-8 last year with a plus point differential despite bottom 5 qb play. That is impressive.

You swap out bottom 5 with potentially top 10 or maybe even top 5 qb play and you can easily win an extra 4 or 5 games.

Edited by RandyMarsh

On 6/3/2022 at 5:45 PM, RandyMarsh said:

Denver would be my pick even with them playing it that tough decision. They went 9-8 last year with a plus point differential despite bottom 5 qb play. That is impressive.

You swap out bottom 5 with potentially top 10 or maybe even top 5 qb play and you can easily win an extra 4 or 5 games.

But that division.............that's a tough one.   3 of the four teams are legit Super Bowl contenders and the Raiders could be really good too.  

ESPN put out their projected draft order based off their FPI metric and they have the Lions with the 8th pick. The teams ahead of them in order are Jets, Bears, Texans, Jags, Falcons, Steelers and Panthers.  4 of those 7 teams used 1st round picks on QBs in the last 2 years so they may not necessarily be in the market for one this draft.

I suppose though that if the Jets finish that bad it was probably due to Wilson not looking good and considering how quickly NY dumped Darnold they may do the same if Wilson looks bad again this year.  

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm gonna keep watching since I'm only 5 mins but just want to comment this before I forget. Holmes and Campbell say something like "there's only 1 person on the board" when they put in the Hutch pick, if I'm reading it right I'm thinking they must've had him and Walker as the only 2 guys they thought about with that pick and after Walker was taken that left Hutch as the only person on the board. 

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Not sure the Lions need another salary cap guy. Holmes comes from the Rams who apparently can spend as much as they want so just do what they do. 

He’s only 30 or 31 and that Browns job was an early career foot in the door opportunity.   I see him more as a future Rod Wood replacement than a cap guy.     This kid was a superstar in the making as a college AD.    He was going to be running a high major program in just a few years.   Maybe he got burned out and didn’t want to follow that path of kissing rich guys asses for money.  Surprised he bailed on becoming an AD.  I assume the Lions career path had to be something lucrative and enticing. 

Edited by Hongbit

"I don't see him being ready for training camp. I don't see that," Campbell said. "I'm very hopeful, but I don't see it. We're going to do this thing the right way and when he's ready, he'll be ready. But, no, I don't feel like you're going to see him out there Day 1"

Campbell's response when asked about Williams. Definitely agree with taking slow but even if he isn't ready by day 1 of camp that doesn't mean he won't be ready by the start of the season. 

Holmes even mentions in the draft video about New Orleans wanting someone who can contribute right away so that seems to indicate that Holmes didn't think Williams would be ready right away. 

I'm curious anyways to see what Chark can do if he can stay healthy. He's still young and can be a part of the future. 

13 hours ago, Jason_R said:

If teams thought he would have been ready for week 1, he wouldn’t have been the fourth guy off the board. But Holmes has low expectations on him for this season and a long runway. So if he can’t play until mid season, that’s fine. 

True but teams were probably just basing that off a normal timeline of an acl tear but  every player is different and heals differently. 

To me the fact that it is even in discussion that he may be ready for the first day of camp leads me to think that he is pretty far along.

With that said Im certainly in the camp of not rushing him and really don't care either way if he starts the first week, I just want whats best for him long term.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

True but teams were probably just basing that off a normal timeline of an acl tear but  every player is different and heals differently. 

To me the fact that it is even in discussion that he may be ready for the first day of camp leads me to think that he is pretty far along.

With that said Im certainly in the camp of not rushing him and really don't care either way if he starts the first week, I just want whats best for him long term.

Maybe but I think these teams get a lot of medical detail that would help them gauge the player's progress against normal recovery timelines. And none of the teams who drafted ahead of Detroit could wait.

Atlanta is in year two of a new coaching staff, rolling with Marcus Mariota. They aren't going to make him do what Jared Goff did last year, which is play half a season with just a TE. 

NYJ have a young QB who might be broken for good if he starts this season slow.

The Saints are trying to ride on the fumes of a HOF coach and QB, and they knew then what we now know, that Michael Thomas is messed up bad. 

ACL recovery is typically 9-12 months and he got injured in January. Hopefully Williams is ready to play before Halloween.

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I’ll miss having his comedic relief of a name on the roster, but he likely would have struggled to make the team anyway. May have seen the writing on the wall and wanted to end things on his terms.

So you’re saying he pulled out just in time?

• Haha 1