Who do you want to replace Harbaugh if he goes to the NFL?

AlaskanTigersFan

Who do you want to replace Harbaugh if he goes to the NFL?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. If Harbaugh goes to the NFL, who do you want to replace him.......?

• Matt Cambell
    • Matt Rhule
    • Josh Gattis
    • Mike Macdonald
    • Mike Hart
    • Other (Please specify in comments)

10 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It seems like a natural progression for Gattis to move up to Head Coach.  If not here, then somewhere

Broyles Awards Winners

Year Coach School Notes
1996 Mickey Andrews Florida State Current special assistant at Florida State, former head coach at Livingston University
1997 Jim Herrmann Michigan Most recently defensive coordinator of the XFL's New York Guardians
1998 David Cutcliffe Tennessee Former head coach at Duke, former head coach at Ole Miss
1999 Ralph Friedgen Georgia Tech Former head coach at Maryland
2000 Mark Mangino Oklahoma Former head coach at Kansas
2001 Randy Shannon Miami (FL) Current defensive coordinator at UCF, former head coach at Miami (FL), former interim head coach at Florida
2002 Norm Chow Southern California Most recently offensive coordinator of the XFL's Los Angeles Wildcats, former head coach at Hawaii
2003 Brian VanGorder Georgia Former head coach at Georgia Southern
2004 Gene Chizik Auburn Former head coach at Iowa State and Auburn
2005 Greg Davis Texas Former head coach at Tulane
2006 Bud Foster Virginia Tech Former associate head coach, linebackers coach, and defensive coordinator at Virginia Tech
2007 Jim Heacock Ohio State Former head coach at Illinois State
2008 Kevin Wilson Oklahoma Current offensive coordinator and tight ends coach at Ohio State, former head coach at Indiana
2009 Kirby Smart Alabama Current head coach at Georgia
2010 Gus Malzahn Auburn Current head coach at UCF and former head coach at Auburn
2011 John Chavis LSU Former defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at Arkansas; former defensive coordinator at Tennessee and Texas A&M
2012 Bob Diaco Notre Dame Former head coach at Connecticut
2013 Pat Narduzzi Michigan State Current head coach at Pittsburgh
2014 Tom Herman Ohio State Former head coach at Houston and Texas
2015 Lincoln Riley Oklahoma Current head coach at USC
2016 Brent Venables Clemson Current head coach at Oklahoma
2017 Tony Elliott Clemson Current head coach at Virginia
2018 Mike Locksley Alabama Current head coach at Maryland, former head coach at New Mexico, former interim head coach at Maryland
2019 Joe Brady LSU Former offensive coordinator of the NFL's Carolina Panthers
2020 Steve Sarkisian Alabama Current head coach at Texas, former head coach at Washington and USC, former offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Alabama
2021 Josh Gattis Michigan Current offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach at Michigan

I'm seeing a lot of succsessul coaches

14 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

Luke Fickell might say no, but you have to make him a substantial offer.  

Yep, before you offer the job to Gattis, Hart, or anyone else Fickell should be the first call. If he says no, it isn't like Gattis is going anywhere for the time being. I get that people bring up the Ohio State ties as the obvious reason he says no. Both Bo and Gary Moeller were Ohio State guys before coaching at Michigan though. A call and a generous offer to make Fickell a top 5 paid coach in the NCAA should be made before moving onto other coaches.

John U Bacon and Sam are saying that Flores situation + Jed York + Vikings Minority owner Stapleton are weighing against a hire for Vikings.  Apparently, Harbaugh has to nail the landing and then the Vikings will be under pressure to hire the African American candidate to ease the NFL's terrible publicity.  So in a way Stephen Ross might have kept Harbaugh at Michigan. 

the Jed York thing:  apparently he's leaning on his fellow NFL owners (Raiders Davis, Vikings Wilfs) not to hire Harbaugh because he is full of hate. 

Edited by romad1

15 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Finebaum has floated Stanford’s David Shaw as a wildcard.    He’s struggled the past few years and it’s only going to get worse if they can’t figure out how to take advantage of the transfer portal.  He should jump at the opportunity if presented.   

hell.  no.

never ever ever.  

not looking forward to punting on 4th and inches at the other team's 39 yard line.

4 minutes ago, romad1 said:

John U Bacon and Sam are saying that Flores situation + Jed York + Vikings Minority owner Stapleton are weighing against a hire for Vikings.  Apparently, Harbaugh has to nail the landing and then the Vikings will be under pressure to hire the African American candidate to ease the NFL's terrible publicity.  So in a way Stephen Ross might have kept Harbaugh at Michigan. 

the Jed York thing:  apparently he's leaning on his fellow NFL owners (Raiders Davis, Vikings Wilfs) not to hire Harbaugh because he is full of hate. 

at this point its obvious he wants to leave, let him leave.

miami will take him if the vikings pass.

41 minutes ago, romad1 said:

What happens if Harbaugh doesn’t get an NFL job.   Does UM keep him as coach and ignore that he interviewed for another job on national signing day or do they fire him and move on?     

7 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

What happens if Harbaugh doesn’t get an NFL job.   Does UM keep him as coach and ignore that he interviewed for another job on national signing day or do they fire him and move on?     

Yeah, that would be something.  You take that interview and then don't get it do you just come back and say "everything's cool, we're good"?   I don't know about that.  

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

Yeah, that would be something.  You take that interview and then don't get it do you just come back and say "everything's cool, we're good"?   I don't know about that.  

Its an "Officer and a Gentleman" where Louis Gosset is in Richard Gere's face and Gere retorts "I've got nowhere else to go!" 

15 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't know if UM has enough recruiting money to toss around to make up for a coach no-one will ever again believe  wants to be there.

if he signs that big ass extension theyre offering him they will.

i think he's gone regardless.  

5 hours ago, buddha said:

hell.  no.

never ever ever.  

not looking forward to punting on 4th and inches at the other team's 39 yard line.

He’s a hire the academic community and Trustees would love at Michigan. He knows how to recruit kids who want to go to Stanford for it being Stanford, and can also play a high level of football. Environmentally, he’d be a great fit.

But good lord he would make my eyes bleed with some of the most conservative play-calling you would EVER see. You’re not exaggerating. I would only ever want him if he agreed kept Gattis as play-calling OC. I don’t think he would.

If Harbaugh doesn’t get the Minny gig, I could see him resigning, maybe working in the Ravens front office, and trying to get an NFL job next offseason.

It’s clear that he wanted the Michigan job available as a backup plan, but didn’t want it known as a backup plan. At this point, he likely doesn’t believe he can immediately replicate the success he had this year (and I would tend to agree).

With it out in the open that he wants an NFL job, it’s not going to just go away. It’s going to hurt recruiting, and it’s going to be a yearly question (is he staying or is he going), even more than it already has been. I don’t think Warde will force him out, but I think a discussion about an amicable exit, either now or after one more year, needs to be had.