Who do you want to replace Harbaugh if he goes to the NFL?

AlaskanTigersFan

Who do you want to replace Harbaugh if he goes to the NFL?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. If Harbaugh goes to the NFL, who do you want to replace him.......?

• Matt Cambell
    • Matt Rhule
    • Josh Gattis
    • Mike Macdonald
    • Mike Hart
    • Other (Please specify in comments)

12 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Lot of noise from the NFL talking heads today (who based on history - both distant and recent - know absolutely nothing). Some say he’s taking the Vikings job tomorrow. Some say he’s taking the Dolphins job tomorrow.

My money is on absolutely nothing happening tomorrow.

I'm of the opinion that the Vikings rumor is just to provide enough "cover" for the Dolphins to justify the hiring. Ross had previously said that he wouldn't lure him away from UM. If he was looking to leave anyway though, it may as well be to Miami...

I was entertained by coming across this today on Twitter. From the "Chiro Chiro Chirp" national reporter who told everyone nearly a month ago that an announcement was coming soon regarding Harbaugh signing with the Raiders... Just enjoy this progression.

Mind you the Vikings had not yet fired Zimmer when she posted her original tweet on 1/7.

The National Media has no beat on Harbaugh whatsoever.

17 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I was entertained by coming across this today on Twitter. From the "Chiro Chiro Chirp" national reporter who told everyone nearly a month ago that an announcement was coming soon regarding Harbaugh signing with the Raiders... Just enjoy this progression.

Mind you the Vikings had not yet fired Zimmer when she posted her original tweet on 1/7.

The National Media has no beat on Harbaugh whatsoever.

to be an NFL reporter all you need is a computer. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

I'm of the opinion that the Vikings rumor is just to provide enough "cover" for the Dolphins to justify the hiring. Ross had previously said that he wouldn't lure him away from UM. If he was looking to leave anyway though, it may as well be to Miami...

UM Athletic dept. just announced a $48M loss. 

Chengelis confirms interview with Vikings. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Warde has told him that if the Vikings are willing to give him north of $8M he should take it.  :classic_dry:

Edited by gehringer_2

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Warde has told him that if the Vikings are willing to give him north of $8M he should take it.  :classic_dry:

The Michigan athletic department after all are just hanging on by a thread.  MSU is much healthier and have wealthier donors who are unhindered by their limited grasp of legal mumbo jumbo. 

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

lol.  no.

yeah, michigan needs to save money so it will go cheap on a head coach while msu and psu pay $9 million per year.

sometimes i wonder how you view michigan's athletic department.  remember when they made harbaugh the 2nd or 3rd highest paid coach?  a covid blip in revenues isnt going to slow michigan down.  if harbaugh leaves its because he wants to go back to the nfl, not because michigan had some magical line they wont cross to pay a football coach.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, buddha said:

lol.  no.

yeah, michigan needs to save money so it will go cheap on a head coach while msu and psu pay $9 million per year.

sometimes i wonder how you view michigan's athletic department.  remember when they made harbaugh the 2nd or 3rd highest paid coach?  a covid blip in revenues isnt going to slow michigan down.  if harbaugh leaves its because he wants to go back to the nfl, not because michigan had some magical line they wont cross to pay a football coach.

Do you remember who our coaches were last time Mary Sue was minding the store?? 😜

but I meant more along the lines not that the sum was too much in general but that given money was not to be wasted, that I wouldn’t pay that much for an only occasionally successful but continual headache like Harbaugh.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Do you remember who our coaches were last time Mary Sue was minding the store?? 😜

but I meant more along the lines not that the sum was too much in general but that given money was not to be wasted, that I wouldn’t pay that much for an only occasionally successful but continual headache like Harbaugh.

Well, Dave "Destroyed Toys R US" Brandon isn't all her fault. 

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

there's too much smoke to this vikings stuff not for there to be some fire.

Yeah - I'd say an in person interview qualifies as some variety of combustion process.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/vikings-interviewing-jim-harbaugh-for-coaching-vacancy-this-week-feel-hes-ready-for-nfl-return-per-report/

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

And Ryans of the Niners pulling out is very big, imo. Harbaugh has to be the front runner now. 

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

The item that really raises the concern meter for me is that he's volunteering to interview on NSD.   I guess its not as big a deal as it used to be but it indicates he may have checked out.

This stuck me as well.  This would’ve never happened just a few years ago and would’ve had devastating consequences to the recruiting class.    This new world of crazy coaching changes, transfer portal, and early signing day and it’s just not really a big deal now.   

Okay, he needs to make a decision soon because Michigan needs to move forward with him or without him.  Dragging this out puts the next coach in a tough spot (if there is a next coach).  Plus the fact that the school has an Interim President doesn't make this any easier.      With no permanent President in place, does that mean bringing in an outsider is impossible?   I know the #1 name is Matt Campbell, but Bill O'Brien could be on their list too, maybe Matt Rhule.   

Harbaugh is gone it looks like and I don't know how to feel at this point. I am pissed that he has basically done to the University what Mark Dantonio did to State a few years back by bolting on National Signing Day. He's doing a disservice to all the kids that are coming in and committed to Michigan. He should have made his NFL intentions more clear and just told the University straight up he is not coming back.

I'm also pissed that he finally delivers six years later on what we hired him to do from day one, but still feel grateful as a fan to have watched this past season unfold and happen. I doubted he could ever have accomplished and wanted him fired. Now, I might be getting my wish and he might be gone.

If we get Luke Fickell after all of this, including the great season we had, I would feel happy in the end. Michigan should offer Fickell top 5 coaching money and see if he takes it. If not, you move onto other candidates and keep trying. Fickell should get a phone call and serious consideration though. He's the perfect fit!

There was an article today with Will Johnson's Dad talking about how Will feels about Harbaugh possibly leaving.

Will's Dad says that Harbaugh was upfront with them when recruiting saying that there was a strong chance that he would be leaving to the NFL if offered an opportunity because he wants to win a Super Bowl before he retires. He told them that he was confident that the program would be in good hands if/ when he left and Will's father evidently believes that cause he said he told his son that he needs to atleast stay and try a year even if Jim leaves.