Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

On 3/3/2023 at 12:18 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

Should Spencer Torkelson automatically make the team for Opening Day?

No. He needs extended time in AAA. When he proves he can hit a MLB fastball down the middle of the plate is when he deserves further consideration.

I know he had a stronger collegiate career than Barry Bonds at ASU. He has yet to prove he can hit Major League pitching.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Another guy from the Rays, but also (like McKinstry) another one with Dodger system ties

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=paulso000dil

Interesting numerals.  Seems to have played at or slightly older than his peers’ age. I was looking over the Toledo roster and thought another lefty bat would be nice for lineup balance.  I don’t know if that’s where he is headed, but it seems like it’d be a bit for both he and the team.

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=paulso000dil

Interesting numerals.  Seems to have played at or slightly older than his peers’ age. I was looking over the Toledo roster and thought another lefty bat would be nice for lineup balance.  I don’t know if that’s where he is headed, but it seems like it’d be a bit for both he and the team.

The ACL tear is a factor in being behind, one imagines.

Guessing he's more of an org guy than anything to expect in the D anytime soon lol

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The ACL tear is a factor in being behind, one imagines.

Guessing he's more of an org guy than anything to expect in the D anytime soon lol

Well, that and COVID has taken away some game time for him.  I looked again, he’s pretty much been +/- less than a year, so it shouldn’t be a big deal.  He probably is more of an organizational guy.  Hey, those ball players are necessary, too.  I have to think a stronger supporting cast helps to improve the skill sets of the higher regarded prospects.  And with some luck, they might find another surprise here and there, too.

13 minutes ago, casimir said:

Well, that and COVID has taken away some game time for him.  I looked again, he’s pretty much been +/- less than a year, so it shouldn’t be a big deal.  He probably is more of an organizational guy.  Hey, those ball players are necessary, too.  I have to think a stronger supporting cast helps to improve the skill sets of the higher regarded prospects.  And with some luck, they might find another surprise here and there, too.

Totally agree. Enough of the 'higher' end on base guys, with bat to ball skills and some power and/or speed to go with, cannot hurt the organization and depth.

28 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

I was trying to figure out how to install MiLB First Pitch on my Amazon Fire stick but couldn't find any instructions. In the MLB.tv app there is a section "Detroit Tigers Affiliates Games" and Toledo's game is there. It says come back at 4:05 so hopefully it works.

18 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Broadcasting on MiLB First Pitch now but not on MLB.tv yet.

Nevermind it's working now.

Do you pay for the mlb.tv major league account or just the minors? I sould never figure last year how to watch milb on anything but my phone.