Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't know if you'd call him quite an Ace, but of course they'd be in better shape right now if they had taken Singer over Mize. Not only healthy, but so far better than Mize when he was healthy. Of course the Tigers weren't the only team to pass on Singer, but in his case funny that it was the 2017 conventional wisdom for that draft that had called him correctly. 

Avila predicated our rebuild on pitching, and here we are without anything even close to an ace pitcher to put out there every five days. I find that sadly ironic.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Avila predicated our rebuild on pitching, and here we are without anything even close to an ace pitcher to put out there every five days. I find that sadly ironic.

The Tigers went all in on breaking ball guys in Mize and Jobe. Not sure that is always the best strategy - esp wrt health projection,  and a little funny since DD was the opposite - a fastball fan almost to excess in the other direction. Or maybe not so strange - it seems Avila was driven to everything the opposite from DD. He did go in for analytics, even if he didn't do it well, less emphasis on 100mph guys with no control but brought in guys that got hurt instead (!), went all in for switch hitters, even if they were terrible, and got away from bringing in washed up relievers to close. Of all his paradigms that last is the one place where we have to admit he did do better. DDs bullpens were legendary bad.

Saw this in klaw's chat and it got my attention. Don't know how true this is but if it is indeed true and we are an outlying org that doesn't do this then that isn't a good look. 

Pat: How many teams provide nutritionists for their minor leaguers? &/or provide healthy food in the clubhouse? Asking because Jace Jung mentioned yesterday that Detroit did neither of those last year..which seems like criminal negligence to me
Keith Law: I actually thought every team did at least some of that by now.

The only concern I have with Malloy is that he looked a bit stocky in ST.  Sort of the same concern I had with Paredes—will he have the athleticism and range at 3B or LF (in Comerica)?

Guess it worked out for this guy, though 

0B547A9A-7DE8-40D9-8C47-14FBECEFA61D.jpeg

Edited by Tenacious D

17 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think those 3 listed guys will push themselves to AAA before too long... Flores, Hurter and Madden.

Pitchers I am excited to see this year are Flores and Madden & the return (hopefully) of Skubal. Hitters, besides Greene & Tork...are the development of P.Meadows, Keith & Pacheco. I know small sample size, but I am encouraged by Rogers so far!

7 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

The only concern I have with Malloy is that he looked a bit stocky in ST.  Sort of the same concern I had with Paredes—will he have the athleticism and range at 3B or LF (in Comerica)?

too soon

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Edman will set us straight I'm sure, but I was under the impression that Nevin was out of options

I was too, but it was reported in March both he and Short were eligible for fourth options. Nevin's made sense because an injury wiped out a good chunk of one of his seasons (18?). I couldn't figure out why Short got one.

6 hours ago, bsc3165 said:

Pitchers I am excited to see this year are Flores and Madden & the return (hopefully) of Skubal. Hitters, besides Greene & Tork...are the development of P.Meadows, Keith & Pacheco. I know small sample size, but I am encouraged by Rogers so far!

This is about where I'm at too except I'd add Vierling for the big league roster and Malloy in the minors. I can't think of any pitchers in the system outside of Flores or Madden I'm particularly excited about. Maybe we'll get a surprise like we got with Skubal a few years back. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I know it's only April 6 but I love all the new guys that Harris brought into the organization and I don't miss anyone that he did not bring back.

I don't miss anyone he dumped.  The jury is still out on those he brought in, but I like their chances better than those who are now elsewhere.  

7 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

spacer.png

On 4/7/2023 at 1:15 PM, RandyMarsh said:

This is about where I'm at too except I'd add Vierling for the big league roster and Malloy in the minors. I can't think of any pitchers in the system outside of Flores or Madden I'm particularly excited about. Maybe we'll get a surprise like we got with Skubal a few years back. 

How many starts before Ty Madden is in Toledo...😀