Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

17 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don't know if the Tigers see Malloy in the OF.  He has not been used there once yet at Toledo.  13 games at 3B and 4 at DH.  Lipcius and Nevin had a pair of games at 3B and have also played corner OF (as well as other spots) in Toledo.  I would think that if the Tigers considered Malloy for the OF in the short term, he'd have had at least one or two games there so far this season.  Why would they not use him there after playing there last season?  It would seem like they would want to build on those skill sets from last season and not let them rust from inaction.

We really can’t count on either guy, ultimately, but it will be a nice problem if they both can play there.  Keith might be able to go to RF (his arm would play well there) or 2B.

Just to add to it, I like versatility defensively (and offensively).  If Malloy can handle OF and 3B, I'm all for it.

If Keith can handle positions other than 3B, I'm all for that, too.

But if both are destined for 3B, that's fine.  Keep one and trade the other to solve other needs.  That could work out for the Tigers as well.

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

We really can’t count on either guy, ultimately, but it will be a nice problem if they both can play there.  Keith might be able to go to RF (his arm would play well there) or 2B.

Ultimately right now the Tigers just need to acquire & develop talent regardless of position.  From there, if/when they have enough quality & depth overall, they can figure out a way to piece together a team from the necessary parts & pieces.

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

Just to add to it, I like versatility defensively (and offensively).  If Malloy can handle OF and 3B, I'm all for it.

If Keith can handle positions other than 3B, I'm all for that, too.

But if both are destined for 3B, that's fine.  Keep one and trade the other to solve other needs.  That could work out for the Tigers as well.

We have so many holes on this team, it would be a failure not to find spots for both.

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

We have so many holes on this team, it would be a failure not to find spots for both.

Well, I think it remains to be seen if they can field elsewhere. 

I still stick to my theory on Malloy in the OF.  His bat, at least per the numbers, is ready for MLB debut.  I don't know about the glove at 3B.  If they have not yet used him in the OF, I don't think I see it in MLB.  It would seem like malpractice to keep him at 3B and then promote him to MLB and have Hinch pencil him in to OF duty.

It looks like Keith has also been used exclusively at 3B so this short season.  11 games at 3B and 1 at DH.  2/3 of his 2022 time was at 3B and 1/3 of it was at 2B.

Toledo Game 1 7 inning W 4-1
Meadow 2/4 RBI
Malloy 1/4 K
Kriedler 1/3 2RBI 
Lipcius 1/2 BB 2B
Ibanez 1/1 2BB
Olson 4IP 2K 2BB 0ER

Toledo Game 2 9 inning L 2-1
Meadows 0/4
Malloy 0/4 3K
Kreidler 1/4 2K SB
Lipcius 1/4 K
Faedo 3IP 2H ER 1K 1BB

Erie L 6-1
Keith 0/4 K
Perez 0/4 K
Hurter 4IP 6K 

WM W 10-0
Campos 1/5 2K BB
Jung 2/6 RBI 2K
Serretti 3/4 K
Pacheco 1/5 3K
Montero 4IP 8K 

Lakeland L 4-1
Dingler 1/4
Santana 1/4 K
Johnson 1/3 BB K

Not a great night on the farm outside of Lakeland

Toledo L 7-3
Meadows 0/2 2BB K
Malloy 1/4
Lipcius 1/4 K

Erie L 4-1
Keith 0/4 2K
Perez 0/3 BB K
Crouch 1/3 2B RBI
Workman 1/3 BB K
Madden 4IP 2ER BB 3K

WM L 5-1
Campos 0/4
Jung 0/3 BB K
Serretti 2/4 2K 3B (A cool 1.000 even OPS)
Pacheco 1/4 RBI K

Lakeland W 10-8
Johnson 2/5 HR 2B 3K RBI
Graham 2/5 HR 2B 2K RBI SB
Dingler 3/4 K HR 2B 2RBI SB
Santana 1/2 2B 3BB RBI
Melton 4IP 2ER 4K

27 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Not a great night on the farm outside of Lakeland

Toledo L 7-3
Meadows 0/2 2BB K
Malloy 1/4
Lipcius 1/4 K

Erie L 4-1
Keith 0/4 2K
Perez 0/3 BB K
Crouch 1/3 2B RBI
Workman 1/3 BB K
Madden 4IP 2ER BB 3K

WM L 5-1
Campos 0/4
Jung 0/3 BB K
Serretti 2/4 2K 3B (A cool 1.000 even OPS)
Pacheco 1/4 RBI K

Lakeland W 10-8
Johnson 2/5 HR 2B 3K RBI
Graham 2/5 HR 2B 2K RBI SB
Dingler 3/4 K HR 2B 2RBI SB
Santana 1/2 2B 3BB RBI
Melton 4IP 2ER 4K

Luke Gold (2022 5th Round Pick) had a go-ahead Inside the Park HR as well.... Hasn't done anything to date really so nice to see.