Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

12 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Critically speaking..or maybe objectively thinking ..only four legit position players in the minors ? Malloy-Keith- Meadows - Kreidler. That's about it me thinks. Two hit only, one field only, and one two way question mark ?  

Maybe in the upper minors, I would agree but let's not write off Jung quite yet. 

14 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Critically speaking..or maybe objectively thinking ..only four legit position players in the minors ? Malloy-Keith- Meadows - Kreidler. That's about it me thinks. Two hit only, one field only, and one two way question mark ?  

Is Kreidler really that good of a prospect?  They've got a bunch of lower level prospects with more upside - Jung, Graham, Santanta, Pacheco, etc.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Is Kreidler really that good of a prospect?

Well, he's 25 already.  Hey was quite the talk of the town a few seasons ago, wasn't he?  I can understand keeping him in Toledo to play him everyday, but at the same time, what are they doing with Nevin and Schoop?  Seriously, what are they waiting for on sending Schoop packing?  And at some point they've got to figure out if he's an MLB player.

I suppose even if they do promote Kreidler, that doesn't mean he's going to be playing much.  Baez is the SS.  McKinstry is one of the better bats right now (a sentence typed never before now) and Maton is at least getting on base and has some power when he does hit.  So there aren't many PAs available right now for Kreidler aside from a platoon arrangement.  I guess even at that, he does offer better defensive versatility then either Nevin or Schoop, so there's that.

18 hours ago, casimir said:

Seriously, what are they waiting for on sending Schoop packing?  And at some point they've got to figure out if he's an MLB player.

They probably won't do it mid-series, but Monday is May 1, which has been the day that Cody S has circled regarding evaluating Schoop. At least in the idea that the team isn't going to be as reactionary as the fan base and give him time to see if he can do anything.

I do suspect the experiment is coming to an end... I'm guessing whenever they do it, Malloy gets selected and Nevin gets optioned down for Kreidler.

22 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Wenceel?

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

They probably won't do it mid-series, but Monday is May 1, which has been the day that Cody S has circled regarding evaluating Schoop. At least in the idea that the team isn't going to be as reactionary as the fan base and give him time to see if he can do anything.

I do suspect the experiment is coming to an end... I'm guessing whenever they do it, Malloy gets selected and Nevin gets optioned down for Kreidler.

Here's something I've been waiting to see, and it is happening now.  Malloy has 2 singles in his last 16 AB, with 6 K's, and has not drawn a walk in the past 7 days.  Let's see him figure things out once the pixie dust has worn off, and stay in Toledo for another month.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Here's something I've been waiting to see, and it is happening now.  Malloy has 2 singles in his last 16 AB, with 6 K's, and has not drawn a walk in the past 7 days.  Let's see him figure things out once the pixie dust has worn off, and stay in Toledo for another month.

It wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world for him to struggle a bit in Toledo.  I don’t know if it’s the competition or if he’s doing something different or it’s a combination.   But whichever, it provides a growth opportunity for him.  Nothing wrong with that lesson now.

17 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

If Kriedler is an elite fielder and utility guy at the major league level isn’t that considered a success and therefore a prospect? 

Absolutely.  I think where things become a bit discouraging is when most of your good prospects look like future bench players.  I think Flores, Madden, Faedo, Hurter, Jung, Malloy and Keith will have major league futures.  Maybe Wenceel, Dingler, Olsen and baby Meadows, too.

Prospects are all on different timelines.  Meadows took a while to click.  Trei Cruz seems to be living up to his promise at Erie this season.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - just last night Dan was saying we might have to pump the brakes because he was slowing down - he had other ideas.

Not saying that people shouldn't pump the breaks anyway, but it's a case of overreacting to one game in a sport with hundreds of them. 

Even the best players at any level can have an 0-4 with 3 Ks time and again

Edited by mtutiger

12 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Absolutely.  I think where things become a bit discouraging is when most of your good prospects look like future bench players.  I think Flores, Madden, Faedo, Hurter, Jung, Malloy and Keith will have major league futures.  Maybe Wenceel, Dingler, Olsen and baby Meadows, too.

It's baby steps really, this is an org that hasn't produced much of any talent for a long time, save a few outliers like Fryman, Verlander, Castellanos, etc. 

People get hung up on the First Round picks and Top 100 rankings, but we will really know they have made it when they can produce major league ballplayers out of players who are neither. Like the Guardians or Rays or Cards.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

They are holding starter's innings mostly low at Toledo, but Faedo went 4 today with no hits, one BB, 5k. Has his WHIP down to 0.89

Saw that.  I’m not sure he’s a starter in the majors, but could be a very good 1-2 innings reliever