Santana 0/2 2BB
Stephenson 2/4 3B K SB
Sequera 0/4
Jenkins 2/4 2RBI
Melton 3.2 2ER 4H 3BB 4K

Edited by LongLiveMaroth
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Not a great night for the pitchers.  Adding in Flores’ dud the night before, and they are off to a slow start.  Madden is the outlier so far, though it’s very early for all of them.

It seems scoring is up all over (just an observation no real data), usually early in the season pitchers have the edge but so far that does not seem to be the case.

5 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

It seems scoring is up all over (just an observation no real data), usually early in the season pitchers have the edge but so far that does not seem to be the case.

Scoing is up almost a half a run in MLB. OPS up 30 points. So you are correct. 

Edited by SeattleMike

I think it's to early to make comparisons.  Some of it could be adjusting to new rules.  However, I do expect offense to be up this year.  Another thing that is happening is more base stealing.  That might actually pick up even more because the success rate is also up.  

7 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Malloy too, but he is young enough to stay and play third base every day, maybe all year.

I like the idea of playing him everyday.  That's probably going to have to be in Toledo this season.  Let the Tigers mix & match the hot corner with the older players already on the 40 unless they all completely flop.  Maybe Malloy gets a September call up to check out the taller buildings & better per diem and grab a few PAs as a preview for 2024.

2 hours ago, casimir said:

I like the idea of playing him everyday.  That's probably going to have to be in Toledo this season.  Let the Tigers mix & match the hot corner with the older players already on the 40 unless they all completely flop.  Maybe Malloy gets a September call up to check out the taller buildings & better per diem and grab a few PAs as a preview for 2024.

As a general philosophy, I'm not a fan of ever leaving a bat that has mastered AAA there. I don't want a guy getting comfortable with his hitting success - I want him to face MLB pitching as soon as he's mastered AAA so he doesn't have a chance to develop any habits or complacency he's going to have to work to break. In Malloy's case there is some extenuating circumstance because you are hoping his D can improve.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

SSS alert butttttt Workman has 6BB to 7Ks so far this year. Putting it in perspective he had 38BB all last year. Would be great if he could become even a UTIL type in the long run

Apparently he sought out hitting help in the offseason, like Carpenter, and made some adjustments.  He was 5 for 12 in ST, when called up to play in games with the ML squad.

He’s got speed and power and plays D.  Kind of like an infielder version of Parker Meadows.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Neto, the guy the nerds wanted but Avila went with Jung, called up to the majors.

Was coming here to post this, the guy picked one pick after us is already starting in the majors at SS meanwhile our guy is struggling to hit in A ball, both are the same age as well. Thanks Al! 

55 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Was coming here to post this, the guy picked one pick after us is already starting in the majors at SS meanwhile our guy is struggling to hit in A ball, both are the same age as well. Thanks Al! 

That’s not true of Jung—he’s hitting and getting on base so far.  Still a bummer to see Neto advance so quickly, especially as the more competent fielder.

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

As a general philosophy, I'm not a fan of ever leaving a bat that has mastered AAA there. I don't want a guy getting comfortable with his hitting success - I want him to face MLB pitching as soon as he's mastered AAA so he doesn't have a chance to develop any habits or complacency he's going to have to work to break. In Malloy's case there is some extenuating circumstance because you are hoping his D can improve.

It’s exactly the defense that I am hoping can improve angle.

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

That’s not true of Jung—he’s hitting and getting on base so far.  Still a bummer to see Neto advance so quickly, especially as the more competent fielder.

Yeah Jung got on base 5 times yesterday which I didn't realize, before that his OPS was .700 for the season after posting in the 600s last year which is where the struggling to hit in A ball comment came from. I still find that to be true, one great game isn't going to change my stance that he has struggled to hit thus far given the competition. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah Jung got on base 5 times yesterday which I didn't realize, before that his OPS was .700 for the season after posting in the 600s last year which is where the struggling to hit in A ball comment came from. I still find that to be true, one great game isn't going to change my stance that he has struggled to hit thus far given the competition. 

You’re a tough customer—hes only played in 7 games so far.

Again, not anywhere near Neto, but not a complete disaster either.

36 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

You’re a tough customer—hes only played in 7 games so far.

Again, not anywhere near Neto, but not a complete disaster either.

FTR I'm not giving up on Jung nor do I think he is a bust, cause it is a small sample size but I was just making a factual statement and that's that our guy has for the most part struggled in A ball as a professional and Neto is already up to the majors while playing the most premium position.