Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It might become more common with higher salaries.  I can see older players hanging on for another year or two with better salaries.    

The older players weren't really making the minimum down there. A lot of minor league free agents are making significantly more on split deals or whatever.

17 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Thankfully the weather held off.  It was all sorts of rainy around the game but not a drop during it.  Kind of amusing seeing the field crew hosing down the infield dirt with as much rain as there was before the game.  And then seeing Andy Ibanez take the field with a ski mask in mid 50s temps was a tad bit amusing.  The smell of hot dogs, the pop of mitt, the taste of the beer,... its baseball season, baby.

Will Vest still having issues.  The crowd was getting restless, at least those of us that were headed over to the Walleye hockey game afterwards.  I guess I didn't realize or had forgotten how tall Parker Meadows was.  Quite a sight to see him standing next to St. Paul's 1Bdude Tyler White who seemed to be a 5'10" offensive lineman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, alex said:

Totally agree. Enough of the 'higher' end on base guys, with bat to ball skills and some power and/or speed to go with, cannot hurt the organization and depth.

His minor league slash line is .257/.374/.458.  That seems to be a pretty good on base clip.  The power is probably lacking a bit, at least pure HR power for a 1Bdude.  It only cost them cash to acquire, so hey, why not?

9 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Malloy, in 16 PA's, has 5 hits and 5 walks.

I don't know if it was mentioned before, but his minor league OBP is above .400.  How often do you see that?  Heck, college, summer ball, minors, all above .400.  There was the 147 PAs in A ball Augusta where is OBP bottomed out at .388, but I think we can let that go by the wayside.

Hopefully his glove plays solidly somewhere on the field.  Small sample size, but Toledo has had him at 3B/DH.  He was split pretty evenly last season between 3B/LF in Atlanta's organization, but 3B pretty much exclusively aside from that.  I don't know if that's a sign of his glove or if Atlanta had to shuffle a couple of 3Bdudes around to other positions for playing time.

9 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Maybe we turned Soto and Jimenez into three starters by seasons end ? That plus both Tork and Greene reaching potential would move forward very nicely.

Yeah that would be a great scenario and something that wouldn't be that far fetched. 

If that were to happen then it would actually be the starting pitching that was holding back the rebuild, 2-3 years ago it seemed like that was going to be the strength of it, yet another example of how you can't depend on building through young pitching. 

9 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Maybe we turned Soto and Jimenez into three starters by seasons end ? That plus both Tork and Greene reaching potential would move forward very nicely.

So that's, what, 160 IPs in exchange for 1,500 PAs plus defense & baserunning?  That probably minimizes the impact of pitching a bit.  But it also doesn't take into consideration time remaining before free agency, so there's that variable, too.

11 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

It's still early, would like to see more from Vierling and Wolfie, but I am kinda glad Al didn't pull off a Soto trade last year at the deadline. Highly doubt he would have brought back ML ready useful players.

32 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It's still early, would like to see more from Vierling and Wolfie, but I am kinda glad Al didn't pull off a Soto trade last year at the deadline. Highly doubt he would have brought back ML ready useful players.

I'm missing the Wolfie reference for Maton.  Its probably obvious, but I'm an idiot.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah that would be a great scenario and something that wouldn't be that far fetched. 

If that were to happen then it would actually be the starting pitching that was holding back the rebuild, 2-3 years ago it seemed like that was going to be the strength of it, yet another example of how you can't depend on building through young pitching. 

It is a sad irony that the organization that put all their eggs in the pitching basket for seven years does not have a single ace pitcher they can send out to the mound every five days and say, yup, we got this one.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

You misspelled “totally”. Twice.

Edited by chasfh

Initial minor league assignments look done: Lakeland: Graham and Santana both stay for now, in a rotation with Gold and Sequera.

WMI: Jung and Pacheco and Campos and not much else. Luis Garcia demoted here.

Erie: Keith and Crouch. Interested to see what happens when Dingler comes off DL.

But he drafted Tork, Greene and Jung with high first round picks.  Granted...he also drafted Jobe, Manning Faedo and Mize...but pretty much all of his higher profile International signees were position players.  Early on he had a bias towards pitching at the top...but three of his last four top  draft picks were position players.

The issue is the raw materials they've had were wasted

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It is a sad irony that the organization that put all their eggs in the pitching basket for seven years does not have a single ace pitcher they can send out to the mound every five days and say, yup, we got this one.

I don't know if you'd call him quite an Ace, but of course they'd be in better shape right now if they had taken Singer over Mize. Not only healthy, but so far better than Mize when he was healthy. Of course the Tigers weren't the only team to pass on Singer, but in his case funny that it was the 2017 conventional wisdom for that draft that had called him correctly.