Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

If he's a bust, he's a bust. You usually don't know for  sure untill  at least 1000 PA.  Wrong time to worry though - he's hit the ball on the screws at least once in each game so far I think. Already has a 106mph LD today.

has he fixed the hole in his swing  down the middle everyone talked about last year? he hasnt been on TV so far this spring I dont know if anyones heard 

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

I'm concerned about that now lol.

But I'm not calling for him to go to Toledo when we are only 12 ABs into Spring Training

I guess what i was trying to say is that if he struggles like last season in this spring training I would like to see him go down to Toledo to work on his hitting then struggle in Detroit .... thats all

27 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

He did not have good AB's today. On the brighter side, Greene is looking fantastic.

Don't agree.  He scalded a ball in his 1st AB. 2nd AB he got nothing to hit. 4 very good pitches painting the outside and bottom of the zone. Was rung up on a perfect change-up half  out of the zone low. Third AB - yeah, not so good - popped up a curve ball away he probably should have taken. But he didn't swing at any bad pitches and didn't miss the one good pitch he got.

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Don't agree.  He scalded a ball in his 1st AB. 2nd AB he got nothing to hit. 4 very good pitches painting the outside and bottom of the zone. Was rung up on a perfect change-up half  out of the zone low. Third AB - yeah, not so good - popped up a curve ball away he probably should have taken. But he didn't swing at any bad pitches and didn't miss the one good pitch he got.

He either makes good contact or gets behind in the count. He has got to expand his strike zone with two strikes.

Edited by Tigeraholic1

Just now, Tigeraholic1 said:

He either makes good contact or gets behind on the count. He has got to expand his strike zone with two strikes.

Maybe true in general but today he only had one 2 strike count and in that one he took a pitcher's pitch that could easily have been called a ball -more likely to be called a ball than he was to hit it beyond the IF. The curve he swung at and popped up in his last AB was on the black - call could have gone either way if he had taken it. 

If your premise is that his issue is being too selective that may be a secondary problem to his larger one of not doing damage on hittable FBs. On the FB issue he only got one center cut FB in the three AB today and he did rip it.

I don't disagree he needs to be more 'aggressive' but to me he needs to express that as less hesitation - I think last year he was consistently late on the draw when he saw a good pitch - so he was never to get out in front of it. Sure it's possible he's been trying too hard to walk because he knows he hasn't been pulling his weight. Maybe fixing the 2nd would fix the first?

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Maybe true in general but today he only had one 2 strike count and in that one he took a pitcher's pitch that could easily have been called a ball -more likely to be called a ball than he was to hit it beyond the IF. The curve he swung at and popped up in his last AB was on the black - call could have gone either way if he had taken it. 

If your premise is that his issue is being too selective that may be a secondary problem to his larger one of not doing damage on hittable FBs. On the FB issue he only got one center cut FB in the three AB today and he did rip it.

I don't disagree he needs to be more 'aggressive' but to me he needs to express that as less hesitation - I think last year he was consistently late on the draw when he saw a good pitch - so he was never to get out in front of it. Sure it's possible he's been trying too hard to walk because he knows he hasn't been pulling his weight. Maybe fixing the 2nd would fix the first?

I think this is it. Instead of taking those pitches on the black that could be 50/50 try to poke it down the line or foul it off and hope pitcher misses location on the next one.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Toddwert said:

I guess what i was trying to say is that if he struggles like last season in this spring training I would like to see him go down to Toledo to work on his hitting then struggle in Detroit .... thats all

As a 1st overall pick, he's going to have a really long leash. And this team needs him, desperately. I could see him going down if he has a bad 1st 6 weeks or so but then be brought right back up.

On 3/3/2023 at 7:08 AM, chasfh said:

There are sooo many stories coming out just like this. It was far worse than we even feared.

i think a lot of those stories are akin to robbie grossman leaving and saying he learned so much by watching film....and then performing exactly the same.

people always trash the old regime when the new regime comes in.  i take it with a grain of salt.

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think a lot of those stories are akin to robbie grossman leaving and saying he learned so much by watching film....and then performing exactly the same.

people always trash the old regime when the new regime comes in.  i take it with a grain of salt.

Yeah - Fetter might turn out to be Harris' best hire. 

Edited by gehringer_2

30 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I dont think Avila led the hiring of Fetter.  

didn't suggest that, only that Fetter doing analysis of an incoming pitcher is not something new to this season. 

But since you mentioned it, FWIW, McCoskey reported at the time that not only did Hinch already know Fetter, but Avila had him on a short list from before they hired Bosio. (LOL-so 'Avila' to take years longer to get to where he could have been earlier!)

Fetter had been on general manager Al Avila's radar even both he hired Hinch to be his manager last week. In fact, he had talked to Fetter before hiring Chris Bosio three years ago.

"But when we interviewed AJ and asked him about staff, he mentioned Chris," Avila said. "And when he told us he'd already had a relationship with him, well, that was a great benefit for us."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2020/11/06/michigans-chris-fetter-tigers-new-pitching-coach/6185959002/

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, buddha said:

Nothing means nothing until opening day when Nevin and Vierling go 0 for 8 with 5 K.  

2 hours ago, buddha said:

This is fair, guys like Manning have their own motives for talking. But it doesn't mean there isn't a grain (or even many grains) of truth to their comments.

In Manning's case, we've seen enough starts of his at the minors and big leagues where he was relying significantly on his fastball to suggest that his statement has merit. And I dont think that he's lying when suggesting that the new PD staff has different ideas than the old guard did.

17 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

didn't suggest that, only that Fetter doing analysis of an incoming pitcher is not something new to this season. 

But since you mentioned it, FWIW, McCoskey reported at the time that not only did Hinch already know Fetter, but Avila had him on a short list from before they hired Bosio. (LOL-so 'Avila' to take years longer to get to where he could have been earlier!)

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2020/11/06/michigans-chris-fetter-tigers-new-pitching-coach/6185959002/

I guess Avila deserves some credit for talking to Fetter in 2017 before passing on him.

Chris Bosio is still out of baseball.

18 hours ago, buddha said:

I don’t think people always trash the old regime when a new regime comes in. I think they sometimes do. In this case, it appears to be deserved.