Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

FTR I'm not giving up on Jung nor do I think he is a bust, cause it is a small sample size but I was just making a factual statement and that's that our guy has for the most part struggled in A ball as a professional and Neto is already up to the majors while playing the most premium position. 

The Angels are also being hyper-aggressive in calling up Neto as well.

Maybe it works out, but the headlines say as much about their org as they do about Neto imo

On 4/15/2023 at 11:05 AM, Tenacious D said:

Apparently he sought out hitting help in the offseason, like Carpenter, and made some adjustments.  He was 5 for 12 in ST, when called up to play in games with the ML squad.

He’s got speed and power and plays D.  Kind of like an infielder version of Parker Meadows.

2 doubles in today's game so far to give him a nice 1.370 OPS to start off the season. 

12 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

2 doubles in today's game so far to give him a nice 1.370 OPS to start off the season. 

There was a lot of buzz about Workman when they drafted him but the 40% K rate dampened the enthusiasm pretty quickly. If he has found a way to fix that the power part of the hitting tool was supposedly there.

Gipson-Long goes 5 innings for Erie, 1 run on 3 hits, no walks, 9 K's.  Whitecaps lost but Ben Malgeri, who does not seem to realize that he isn't a prospect, hit a triple and his OPS is 1.464.  Lakeland lost too but teeny little Seth Stephenson stole 3 bases and has 6 in 9 games.

14 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

There was a lot of buzz about Workman when they drafted him but the 40% K rate dampened the enthusiasm pretty quickly. If he has found a way to fix that the power part of the hitting tool was supposedly there.

Iirc many pundits said that he may have been a 1st round pick if that college season didn't get canceled due to COVID. He was trending upward and mashing to start the year before it got cut short.

1 minute ago, kdog said:

Sorry if I missed it. Was there a reason they lifted Ty Madden after an inning Saturday night in Erie?

I haven't heard anything for sure but I'm thinking it was just them being cautious  cause he threw like 35 pitches in the first, most of which were high stressed. 

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I haven't heard anything for sure but I'm thinking it was just them being cautious  cause he threw like 35 pitches in the first, most of which were high stressed. 

Yeah - I saw it somewhere - maybe in Henning's MiLB round-up - He's fine, but the Tiger MiLB rule is go near 40 pitches in a inning and you are done and Madden went 36 in the first - and was only throwing 50% strikes.

• Like 1

So in the world of "it has only been 2 weeks and obviously, the sample size is minuscule but there are no MILB games today and I am trying to procrastinate work I need to do" let's talk about the players who should probably be pushed up a league using one per team.

Lakeland
Seth Stephenson - I wish this would be someone like Santana or Graham but Stephenson has a .410 OBP with 6SB so far.

WM
Serretti - I could have chosen Malgeri(1.464) or Jung (.459 OBP) but I feel like Serretti had a Erie cup of tea last year and should just have gone up that way anyways and with a .946 OPS he is showing he probably is probably ready for a bit more of a challenge.

Erie
Wenceel Perez - Yeah this one is a bit of a cop-out. Had he not been injured I am guessing he would be in Toledo already. 

Toledo
Miguel Diaz - Honestly just choosing a RP so we ship out Cisnero. Honorable mention to Andy Ibanez though who I am guessing will see some time in Detroit at some point this summer.

Good list.  Serretti is interesting—moved up two levels last year and off to a nice start.  6th rounder. Both he and Graham were college guys taken in the same draft, though Graham was a 2nd rounder.

Graham was a preseason top-10/15 prospect, while Serretti was much lower.  Is Serretti the better prospect now? Graham wasn’t very impressive last season and is off to a bad start at low A.