Campos 0/3 BB
Pacheco 0/4 K
Crouch 1/4 K

Lakeland L 6-4
Graham 1/3 BB 2B
Sequera 0/2 BB K CS
Johnson 1/3 3RBI
Melton 4.2IP 3H 2ER BB 7K

Malloy, batting leadoff, was 3 for 4 with a home run.  He's on an 8 for 20 run now with a double and 2 home runs, so maybe he has emerged from that recent funk.  Wouldn't it be great if he could prove, over a full season at Toledo, that he could learn to make those adjustments.  And at the same get better at playing third base.

I want him to stay there all year, under no circumstances do I want to see him as a chess piece in Detroit.  I want him to play 150 games at third base in Detroit in 2024, and for the next 7 years after that, and it won't happen if he gets promoted this year.

7 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Malloy, batting leadoff, was 3 for 4 with a home run.  He's on an 8 for 20 run now with a double and 2 home runs, so maybe he has emerged from that recent funk.  Wouldn't it be great if he could prove, over a full season at Toledo, that he could learn to make those adjustments.  And at the same get better at playing third base.

I want him to stay there all year, under no circumstances do I want to see him as a chess piece in Detroit.  I want him to play 150 games at third base in Detroit in 2024, and for the next 7 years after that, and it won't happen if he gets promoted this year.

This is an open question for anyone.  What do we mean by "chess piece"?  Is that the 2023 phrase for "super utility"?  Baez, Greene, and Torkelson can't be chess pieces, they're everyday players.  Cabrera, nah, he's a platoon DH. 

If/when Malloy is called up, he'll be an everyday 3B.  But is he a chess piece?

1 hour ago, casimir said:

This is an open question for anyone.  What do we mean by "chess piece"?  Is that the 2023 phrase for "super utility"?  Baez, Greene, and Torkelson can't be chess pieces, they're everyday players.  Cabrera, nah, he's a platoon DH. 

29e32631-a2e8-4f30-9457-5b5657839ba2_tex

9 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

If he’s deemed ready, shouldn’t he be called up? He played a brief spell in AAA last year, plus in the AFL.  Regardless of how much time he has in Toledo, he’s going to struggle at times in the majors.  I think that’s inevitable.  If you believe your best coaching talent is in Detroit, he might benefit most from a call-up.

We have to trust the new front office to know what’s in his best interest (and the teams).

29 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

If he’s deemed ready, shouldn’t he be called up? He played a brief spell in AAA last year, plus in the AFL.  Regardless of how much time he has in Toledo, he’s going to struggle at times in the majors.  I think that’s inevitable.  If you believe your best coaching talent is in Detroit, he might benefit most from a call-up.

We have to trust the new front office to know what’s in his best interest (and the teams).

I wonder if this new regime will be more cognizant of manipulating service time. The last one didn't seem to give a damn. 

2 hours ago, casimir said:

"Chess piece" was the expression used in that ridiculous article about Hinch's obsession with using people in "clever" ways, the way he always did with Willi and Harold.  The dumbass who wrote the article actually listed Greene as a chess piece because he was on the bench for the infamous Ibanez-in-right-field game, even though Greene is almost never absent from the starting lineup.

This year's versions of Willi and Harold are Maton, McKinstry and Vierling who fortunately can play some defense, unlike Willi and Harold.

58 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I think it comes down to two questions: First - how much time is enough time for them to decide if he is ever going to be an MLB 3b (or OF). If he shows no defensive progress and the decision is he only gets to the majors as a DH, then from that moment forward your decision to move him turns only on his bat. Conversely, assuming they do think he can become a serviceable 3B, then the question is how much any continued improvement in his 3b play hinges on being at AAA vs Det. Can he get in just as much extra work with just as good instruction here as there? If so, then maybe you are back to the first part  - where you are really only waiting to be sure the bat is ready - or you do keep him in Toledo because you do believe he can progress defensively faster  there? Personally I am at a loss to see any reason that should be true, unless they think that once he achieves a 25 man roster spot his motivation to keep improving will lag.

Anyway - that's how I would lay out my options if I'm playing armchair GM.

1 hour ago, Stanley70 said:

I wonder if this new regime will be more cognizant of manipulating service time. The last one didn't seem to give a damn. 

Dombrowski didn't seem to care about service time much either.  Personally, I'd rather they bring up players when they are ready.  Holding somebody back who is ready in order to manipulate service time is smart in theory but could do more harm in terms of good will and might even lose games in some cases.   

Yeah I don't really care too much about the service time thing, 6 years is a long time so I'm more focused on what can help the team win at the moment vs. that far down the road especially since majority of the time you're either going to sign an extension before it gets to that point or they are going to flame out and you're not going to want to keep them anyway. 

41 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah I don't really care too much about the service time thing, 6 years is a long time so I'm more focused on what can help the team win at the moment vs. that far down the road especially since majority of the time you're either going to sign an extension before it gets to that point or they are going to flame out and you're not going to want to keep them anyway. 

it's not just about the end of the contract, its about keeping costs down as long as possible. Getting three years at $500K instead of 2, for example. That way you can spend that money elsewhere. 

But it honestly doesn't matter outside of May and late in the year. If its in the middle, do wahtever cause trying to manipulate service time in June is too unknown about what might happen in future. 

15 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

... I want him to stay there all year, under no circumstances do I want to see him as a chess piece in Detroit.  I want him to play 150 games at third base in Detroit in 2024, and for the next 7 years after that, and it won't happen if he gets promoted this year.

It will if he gets promoted in September. (I believe that is still a league rule...)