Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

12 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I might be wrong but it seems we do not have even one solid pitching prospect in the minors. The strikeout  totals are poor. So maybe Skenes will be the pick ?

Maybe Madden? I wouldn't give up all on Flores yet - but it's sure nothing like it was a couple of years ago when Manning, Mize, Skubal and Faedo were all on their way up.

• Like 1

Even though the numbers haven't been good this year I still have some hope for Flores particularly since it has come out that they are having him work on things which could equate to the lesser numbers this year but yeah overall there isn't much to get excited about. 

Still though I'm of the belief its easier to patch together a passable pitching staff than it is a lineup so all things being equal Id rather go offense.

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Maybe Madden? I wouldn't give up all on Flores yet - but it's sure nothing like it was a couple of years ago when Manning, Mize, Skubal and Faedo were all on their way up.

I would say Madden as well, that being said Flores and Olson are probably headed toward the high leverage late inning relief pitcher path. 

17 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

The Nats love those college rms...allegedly ...so we may not have a shot at Skenes.

The Nats top 3 prospects are OFs; and 6 of their top 10; i know you are not supposed to draft for need, and you can always trade talent, but they are taking Skenes for sure.

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Even though the numbers haven't been good this year I still have some hope for Flores particularly since it has come out that they are having him work on things which could equate to the lesser numbers this year

Beck has a byline about Flores on the Tigers site today reporting that Flores had lost about 4 mph off his fastball earlier this year and they were tyring to figure out why. He's gotten some of it back but is still a couple of mph short of his 'normal.'  I don't think that is that unusual for a young pitcher. Hopefully his finds his mechanics and gets back on the track he was on previously.

Toledo L 16-8 
Malloy 0/5 3K
Meadows 2/5 2K HR RBI
Nevin 3/5 K 2B
Lipcius 2/4 BB

Erie W 4-2
Cruz 1/5 
Keith 0/3 3K BB (Probably need to send him back to WM)
Dingler 0/4 2K
Witherspoon 2/4 HR RBI 
Gipson-Long 4.1IP 1ER 4BB 3K

WM L 4-2
Campos 0/4 BB 2K
Jung 0/3 BB
Pacheco 1/3 BB K
Serretti 1/3 K 

Lakeland W 7-1
Stephenson 2/4 3B 2K 2SB
Graham 1/4 2 RBI BB K 2B
De La Cruz 1/4 2K HR RBI
Miller 4IP 2BB 6K 2H

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Hopefully...Jose De La Cruz can continue his early success at Lakeland...he hasn't lived up to his billing as a big $$$ international signing, but he's still only 21

It would be nice but even though he is still young he has been in the pros for 4 years now and still in low A, to me that just isnt promising despite the relatively young age. 

46 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I am heading over to the WM game tonight since it is close to where I live and I wanted to see who was starting for WM and honestly for only being 24 Carlos Pena looks like he has not slept once in those 24 years.
image.png.d5f08341c973a50bd92d667aeafd3580.png 

Looks alot different than he did at 18 thats for sure.

Tigers History on Twitter: "#HappyBirthday to Carlos Peña! Born #OTD in  1978 in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. #Tigers first baseman 2002-05  https://t.co/fClhF3kHw3" / Twitter

• Haha 1

On 5/17/2023 at 12:06 PM, SoCalTiger said:

I might be wrong but it seems we do not have even one solid pitching prospect in the minors. The strikeout  totals are poor. So maybe Skenes will be the pick ?

Madden is going to end up a top 100 prospect at some point.