Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

Klaw had a chat yesterday and somebody asked him about Keith and they ended the question with "Do you think he can be a top 20 prospect at the end of the year?" to which Law responded with something like "he's legit and the bat's legit but not gonna be a top 20 prospect, that's too high of bar."

There was also a question about Faedo to which he responded with something like "he's been a lot better controlling the zone but I don't think he can induce enough soft contact to be anything more than a back end starter." 

11 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Klaw had a chat yesterday and somebody asked him about Keith and they ended the question with "Do you think he can be a top 20 prospect at the end of the year?" to which Law responded with something like "he's legit and the bat's legit but not gonna be a top 20 prospect, that's too high of bar."

Skeptical as I've been at the idea of him getting a call up, at the rate the offense is going, he might make it to the bigs too fast to have that chance anyway.

41 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Skeptical as I've been at the idea of him getting a call up, at the rate the offense is going, he might make it to the bigs too fast to have that chance anyway.

I don’t know, I don’t think Harris would want to start the clock ticking on a 21-year-old just to keep us from losing 100 games this year.

12 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't think he can induce enough soft contact

I think he has this about right. He's basically a fly ball pitcher whose fly balls go too far too often. Maybe not quite enough life on the FB to get more pop-ups? His H/9 and BB/9 are good but the HR/9 stands out as not so good.

The one thing Faedo has some room to work with is that if there is such a thing as throwing too many strikes, Faedo is probably the example. He walks so few maybe should be trying to work away from the middle of the plate more.

Toledo L 7-0
Malloy 0/4 2K
Carpenter 0/4 K
Sands 1/4
Meadows 0/4 K
Lipcius 2/3 K

Erie W 6-1
Cruz 0/5
Keith 1/5 2B
Perez 1/5
Dingler 2/5 2B
Workman 2/3 2HR BB 2RBI
Flores 4IP 1H 1ER 6K
Lockhart 2.1IP BB 2K

WM L 12-5
Serretti 1/4 BB
Jung 3/5 2RBI K (Up to a .274 average from .221 since last Wednesday with a .274/.391/.464 line for the season)
Allen 0/3 BB RBI K
Skubal 2IP H K

Lakeland L 4-2
Bastidas 0/4 K
Gold 0/2
Johnson 0/3 RBI BB

14 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Skubal was through his 2ip in only 12 pitches. He threw more than that in his batting practice sessions. Maybe  he tossed a few more in the pen after he left the game.

Cody Stavenhagen mentioned on the Turning the Corner podcast that Skubal tossed a bullpen to make up for the difference.

He also mentioned that (his opinion) Colt Keith looks more comfortable defensively at 2B than 3B.  Thinks its possible that he stays at Erie through the first half, and is then promoted to Toledo.

I wish he'd have mentioned Justyn Henry-Malloy's move from 3B to LF, just for some context.

Edited by casimir
  • Thanks 1

Was an actual planned move mentioned? As in, we’ll have him in LF for a month or more… or are they thinking of him as a 3B, and want him to keep whatever LF skills he has from slipping?

I can see value in letting a young player focus for extended periods at one position as a development goal, rather than the chess pieces idea. At least in the minors.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dan Gilmore said:

Was an actual planned move mentioned? As in, we’ll have him in LF for a month or more… or are they thinking of him as a 3B, and want him to keep whatever LF skills he has from slipping?

I can see value in letting a young player focus for extended periods at one position as a development goal, rather than the chess pieces idea. At least in the minors.

it was a quick mention, with Cody saying that he understood that this was always the plan relating to positional versatility

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

amazing. I figured that if he wasn't at least ready for fulll season A ball this years they'd have cut him loose. Somebody must think there is still something there...

He's been around fr so long...but he's still only 25

I was gonna post this in the MLB Thread but since we're on the topic of the FCL the Jays just announced that they optioned Alex Manoah all the way down to the FCL. That's like unheard of to me, he was their Opening Day starter and I believe a Cy Finalist last year and now he is going to rookie ball. I guess they just want him to try to find himself in the lowest pressure environment as possible. Whatever the reason I don't know if there is any precedent for a move like this.