Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

16 minutes ago, kdog said:

I'm not sure you want to put tons of pressure on Colt Keith to save this terrible mlb team. They probably need to win a few games and get a bit healthier to make the team a little more presentable.

Let Keith get to Toledo for 2-3 weeks; By then the mlb team might have stabilized and they can bring him up after the break.

Yes, definitely. I was probably unclear, promoted to Toledo, until the the end of Toledo's season.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Even though it was a shortened draft due to COVID at the time that whole class was lauded with Tork, Dingler, Cabrera, Workman, Cruz and Keith. I think at the time just about everybody including national guys thought we nailed it and so far it has been a disappointment with the exception of Keith and as good as he has looked this year he still is in AA so he's far from a sure thing. 

getting two major league contributors (tork and keith assuming keith makes it) out of a 5 round draft is probably pretty decent!  lol.

but i get your point.  everyone was excited about that draft because Al finally drafted players who were consensus picks.  no more rey riveras.  and so far its been a total bust other than keith.  i know tork is in the majors but he's been so bad so far that his career to date has been disappointing.

Cruz is hitting well in Erie this year. Dingler hasn't fallen off the map, even if his injury and a Toledo catching logjam stalled him a bit. On the undrafted front, Flores should count. The draft still could be a success, but yeah... Tork will have to turn it around.

Colt Keith may be the real deal, but I do worry that the way certain folks in Tigers media and fandom discuss him is, perhaps similar to Torkelson and Greene, setting expectations way too high upon initial callup.

Like, do we not trust the people in the org (some of whom are new) when they make evaluations of where players like Keith, Malloy, Meadows, etc. are when needs arise on the 26th man roster? 

In Keith's case, it's great that he has a .1000 OPS + in the Eastern League, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's big league ready yet either. And the last thing this org needs is another player called up before they are ready only to subsequently struggle and have the fanbase turn on them

Edited by mtutiger

Keep Keith down so he can maintain his rookie eligibility next year and be eligible to net a PPI pick if he really takes off in the bigs. He'll be a consensus Top 100 prospect.

Also, I haven't looked ahead yet and don't really anticipate any 40 man crunch, but if you foresee one over the offseason, adding Malloy and Keith now could have some implications. This is likely only an issue if you add a bunch of prospects close to the Majors at the deadline. Malloy and Keith don't need to be added until after the 2024 season.

Anyways, all we see are the box scores. For all we know he's working on something specific in Erie and will be moved up once that box is checked. There's no rush.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

adding Malloy and Keith now could have some implications.

In the last month I think Malloy has played his way out of there being much point to a call up. Bumping Keith to AAA seems reasonable enought though.

Edited by gehringer_2

Warning: Morbid fascination post:

Old friend Franklin Perez came in for his 2nd inning of work in the 10th of a tie game when he was charged with a balk - moving the placed runner to third before he faced the 1st batter. 2Ks, BB, fly out and he escaped without giving up the run. FCL Tigers then lost in the 11th (Perez had been lifted) 

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Warning: Morbid fascination post:

Old friend Franklin Perez came in for his 2nd inning of work in the 10th of a tie game when he was charged with a balk - moving the placed runner to third before he faced the 1st batter. 2Ks, BB, fly out and he escaped without giving up the run. FCL Tigers then lost in the 11th (Perez had been lifted) 

Brink him up 😊

Keith is hitting better than Torkelson did in AA at the same age.  In retrospect, there was plenty of warning signs about Tork before he entered MLB (namely the rumors about him not doing well in 2020 during fall instructional league play, bad defense at 1B and his low BABIP in 2021).  Just box score watching and pure statistical modeling, you'd think Keith was a better prospect.

Edited by Scottwood

19 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Some good stuff here.

I tried something different this time.

19 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I’m not confident in writing McKinstrey into any long term, significant role, though he’s a good guy to plug in.

I think we’ll have plenty of payroll and the willingness to spend, but a weak free agent class will drive up contracts and competition. Probably not a fix.

I like the idea of taking on salary in trade.  The Padres have a plethora of big contracts with guys who are still young and could be productive for us.

It seems like the Padres have really extended themselves long term.  I don't know that any of the higher contracts (Tatis) are the way to go.  Maybe something more nominal (Cronenworth, although his production his dipped this season), which would still help the other club reduce its payroll.

Toledo L 12-1
Meadows 2/4
Malloy 0/4 K OF Assist
Lipcius 1/4 RBI
Nevin 3/4 K
Sands 1/4
Manning 1.2IP 2BB K
Bergner 3.2IP 4H 3ER 2BB 3K

Erie W 5-2
Cruz 0/5 RBI 2K
Perez 3/5 2K
Dingler 0/2 BB
Workman 1/2 2BB K
Hurter 4IP 4H 7K 0ER (2.45 ERA)
Petit 2.0 BB 3K

WM Rained out

Lakeland W 9-5
Stephenson 0/4 
Graham 1/4 K (Back from the IL) 
Johnson 2/4 2RBI 3B
Bastidas 1/4 2B
Santana 1/2 2BB K HR

With Myers and Bigbie on the way up to Erie that must mean some other moves happening to push others up or down so that will be interesting.  Would love to see Perez pushed up to AAA but this regime is a bit of a wildcard when it comes to when people are getting pushed up. 

Henning's article this morning certainly implied they are keeping Keith down to give him a chance to face teams a second time and prove that he can adjust to their adjustments.

Gee, I *hate* to disagree with Lynn, but while familiarity with a hitter is an advantage to the opposing team in general in formulating pitching approaches, on the individual level, the advantage goes the hitter with increasing familiiarity with any particular pitcher. 

There are of course many factors in total, but I think one contributor to the increase in 'true outcome' hitting approaches is that a hitter in today's game with 30 teams each with a 13 man staff, never gets the opportunity to get as familiar with each pitcher's stuff the way they did when they played all their games against only 7 or 8 other teams with 10 man staffs.

Edited by gehringer_2

Henning's article this morning certainly implied they are keeping Keith down to give him a chance to face teams a second time and prove that he can adjust to their adjustments.

That's fine & dandy on the surface.  But teams face each other for a week at a time now.  They wouldn't make any adjustments in games 4-6 of a series from what they've learned in games 1-3 of the same series, plus whatever advanced scouting is available (which to be honest, I don't know how much is available at different levels).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Parker has been hitting at a very steady 720 OPS. The consistency is good but he will need to take another step up if he's going to make it.

I agree, fortunately he is still only 23 but he will need to unlock some more of the power he had last year against RH. What is interesting is last year he had a .196/.225/.336 line against LH and a .290/.376/.512 line against RH but this year he has a .270/.309/.508 line against LH and a .234/.328/.380 vs RH. If he could only unlock the success against RH he had last year with his success against LH this year he would be in Detroit. 

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Parker has been hitting at a very steady 720 OPS. The oonsistency is good but he will need to take another step up if he's going to make it.

Parker reminds me now of the next Jake Marisnick. Like you said hopefully he can take another step. 

There are so many variables on this roster to commit to big time free agents. Mize, Manning Skubal, Tork, Baez, not to mention a fairly barren farm system. 

With a bunch of money coming off the books I can see them trying to sign a couple of shorter term deals while they sort out all of the injured pitchers they have.