Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Wonder if the Tigers give some consideration to moving Jung and/or Keith to 1B?  They are both roughly the same size as Torkelson, and Spencer is no sure thing.

The knock against both guys has been their defense.  Could they make the transition to 1B? 

image.gif.e852ea91553b15e28900fce0cb11c082.gif

Neither are they

Your desire to creating more problems as a fix to something that may not be a problem, knows no bounds.

3 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Neither are they

Your desire to creating more problems as a fix to something that may not be a problem, knows no bounds.

Lighten up Francis.

I posed a hypothetical, and it’s not that outlandish.  We have a dearth of 1B in the org, including the majors, three guys who project to be bat-first with no set position (Jung, Malloy, Keith) in an organization that likes to play guys completely outside of their natural position.

If it’s so painful for you, please block me.  We’ll both be happier.

24 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Lighten up Francis.

I posed a hypothetical, and it’s not that outlandish.  We have a dearth of 1B in the org, including the majors, three guys who project to be bat-first with no set position (Jung, Malloy, Keith) in an organization that likes to play guys completely outside of their natural position.

If it’s so painful for you, please block me.  We’ll both be happier.

It is cause you always do this. What if we do this outlandish thing. What if we try this guy at catcher what if we do X y z. Lets trade everybody, lets draft a guy with no legs. Whatever. Its always flavor of the month or the now need.

Those are guys are all young let's just keep them on the same developmental plan and let them progress before throwing another wrench into their development. 

We might need a first baseman, we might not. In two years we might be desperate for a second baseman, we might not.

One of the worst thing you can do in development os change the plan for a guy who won't be read for a few years because of a perceived need now. We don't know what the needs will be what if you move them and they get so focused on learning the position, the hitting development fall off? What if tork goes on a hot streak? What if no one wants to trade for them because they are now perceived first baseman? Etc etc your plan just creates more problems than it solves and the solution might not be needed or even work.

its just tinkering to tinker like its a video game and forgetting these are real people invovled.

I don't need to block anyone and I'm plenty of happy. Sorry cirticism of silly ideas hurts you so.

Edited by KL2

27 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

They are both roughly the same size as Torkelson, and Spencer is no sure thing.

Torkelson has been hitting the hell out of the ball this year. You can't judge his future production based on traditional stats over a relatively short period.

8 hours ago, Longgone said:

Torkelson has been hitting the hell out of the ball this year. You can't judge his future production based on traditional stats over a relatively short period.

Yeah, frustrating as he's been, he shouldn't be written off at this point either.

• Like 2

Torkelson was better in May (783 OPS) than in April(575)  but then went 0 for Philly. If he gets back to his May pace we'll be having less of this discussion.

And I like this. Torkelson only swings at the 1st pitch in 30% of his PA - compared to the fact the almost any decent MLB pitcher is throwing more than 50% strikes on the 1st pitch. But the better part is that when he does swing at the 1st pitch, his K rate is 13%, When he takes it, it's 27%.

That's not a skill problem, it's a tendency, and I if were him, I'd think about mving away from it.

Now granted, taking the 1st pitch worked for Joe Mauer and he won a couple of batting championships,  but not everybody is Joe Mauer.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

Is Jung going to be a quick mover?

Is it possible that Keith & Malloy graduate from Toledo this season and are in Detroit at 3B & LF next season?  Jung lurking for 2B in the meantime?  Some sort of everyday corner IF/OF/DH combination of Malloy/Keith/Baddoo/Torkelson/Carpenter?  Add the right FA vet to that mix (doesn't have to be a big name, just someone to raise the floor).  Up the middle with Greene in the grass, Baez & McKinstry on the dirt.  Vierling, Maton, Kreidler, Short can figure in off of the bench or move on from them totally, that's fine.  They won't all be back, but is there enough of a framework of in house options that have reasonable career timeline trajectories to compete in the division next season?

With the low payroll, maybe free agency isn't the play, maybe take a salary off of another team via trade?

37 minutes ago, casimir said:

Is Jung going to be a quick mover?

Is it possible that Keith & Malloy graduate from Toledo this season and are in Detroit at 3B & LF next season?  Jung lurking for 2B in the meantime?  Some sort of everyday corner IF/OF/DH combination of Malloy/Keith/Baddoo/Torkelson/Carpenter?  Add the right FA vet to that mix (doesn't have to be a big name, just someone to raise the floor).  Up the middle with Greene in the grass, Baez & McKinstry on the dirt.  Vierling, Maton, Kreidler, Short can figure in off of the bench or move on from them totally, that's fine.  They won't all be back, but is there enough of a framework of in house options that have reasonable career timeline trajectories to compete in the division next season?

With the low payroll, maybe free agency isn't the play, maybe take a salary off of another team via trade?

Some good stuff here. I’m not confident in writing McKinstrey into any long term, significant role, though he’s a good guy to plug in.

I think we’ll have plenty of payroll and the willingness to spend, but a weak free agent class will drive up contracts and competition. Probably not a fix.

I like the idea of taking on salary in trade.  The Padres have a plethora of big contracts with guys who are still young and could be productive for us.

13 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I like the idea of taking on salary in trade.  The Padres have a plethora of big contracts with guys who are still young and could be productive for us.

you can't trade draft picks in baseball, but you can  'buy' additional prospects in trades by picking up salary burden for teams that need that. Of course if you don't have the capability to evaluate players in another team's system as well or better than they do themselves, it still won't get you far.

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Torkelson was better in May (783 OPS) than in April(575)  but then went 0 for Philly. If he gets back to his May pace we'll be having less of this discussion.

And I like this. Torkelson only swings at the 1st pitch in 30% of his PA - compared to the fact the almost any decent MLB pitcher is throwing more than 50% strikes on the 1st pitch. But the better part is that when he does swing at the 1st pitch, his K rate is 13%, When he takes it, it's 27%.

That's not a skill problem, it's a tendency, and I if were him, I'd think about mving away from it.

Now granted, taking the 1st pitch worked for Joe Mauer and he won a couple of batting championships,  but not everybody is Joe Mauer.

that could easily be statistical noise.

Dingler is going to be 25 in September and hasn't played Triple A yet.  His performance at Erie this year is very similar to last year, sort of meh.  He isn't blocked by anyone special at Toledo so I'd say move him up there and find out if he is ever going to be of use.

16 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Dingler is going to be 25 in September and hasn't played Triple A yet.  His performance at Erie this year is very similar to last year, sort of meh.  He isn't blocked by anyone special at Toledo so I'd say move him up there and find out if he is ever going to be of use.

Dingler and Workman - both with lots of early hype, both with pretty questionable futures.

Even though it was a shortened draft due to COVID at the time that whole class was lauded with Tork, Dingler, Cabrera, Workman, Cruz and Keith. I think at the time just about everybody including national guys thought we nailed it and so far it has been a disappointment with the exception of Keith and as good as he has looked this year he still is in AA so he's far from a sure thing. 

9 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

All of the small sample size numbers could be noise.  

Right now there are maybe half a dozen guys in AA/A+: Keith, Serretti, Bigbie, Navigato, Perez, Jung, who all have nice small samples that we are waiting to see are real or not. OTOH, Lakekand and Toledo are just depressing.

I'm not sure you want to put tons of pressure on Colt Keith to save this terrible mlb team. They probably need to win a few games and get a bit healthier to make the team a little more presentable.

Let Keith get to Toledo for 2-3 weeks; By then the mlb team might have stabilized and they can bring him up after the break.