Tiger Cubs (notes on the minors)

gehringer_2

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I was gonna post this in the MLB Thread but since we're on the topic of the FCL the Jays just announced that they optioned Alex Manoah all the way down to the FCL. That's like unheard of to me, he was their Opening Day starter and I believe a Cy Finalist last year and now he is going to rookie ball. I guess they just want him to try to find himself in the lowest pressure environment as possible. Whatever the reason I don't know if there is any precedent for a move like this. 

Wonder if they want him in their facilities, like going to Lakeland.  It is odd, though.

I suspect a neck injury might be imminent.

Not a member so I don't know the whole list but Id imagine/fear that he is our only guy in the top 100.

Flores was there preseason but with the way he has looked I can't imagine he still is and aside from him the only possibilities that come to mind are Madden or Dingler.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not a member so I don't know the whole list but Id imagine/fear that he is our only guy in the top 100.

Flores was there preseason but with the way he has looked I can't imagine he still is and aside from him the only possibilities that come to mind are Madden or Dingler.

Yep, Keith is the only Tiger on the list. 

7 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

all the guys who have been on that list and then fallen off the list tella me that those lists mean very little.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, buddha said:

all the guys who have been on that list and then fallen off the list tella me that those lists mean very little.

I don't think they are the be all end all cause 100 is an arbitrary cut off, like a player at 120 maybe just as good as the one at 80 but I do think there is some merit to them.

It feels like just about all the great young players in baseball we're at one point top 50ish guys, theres some outliers(usually on teams like the Rays) but in general I think that is the case. 

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't think they are the be all end all cause 100 is an arbitrary cut off, like a player at 120 maybe just as good as the one at 80 but I do think there is some merit to them.

It feels like just about all the great young players in baseball we're at one point top 50ish guys, theres some outliers(usually on teams like the Rays) but in general I think that is the case. 

I think a lot of lists get taken as more linear than they should be.  I think tiers rather than an ordinal list would make for a better report.  The talent pool is more of a pyramid than it is a line.

OK, so take the upcoming draft.  It sounds like there are 5 guys that are interchangeable at the top.  The difference between 1 and 5 is not considered the same as the difference between 5 and 6.

Just now, casimir said:

I think a lot of lists get taken as more linear than they should be.  I think tiers rather than an ordinal list would make for a better report.  The talent pool is more of a pyramid than it is a line.

OK, so take the upcoming draft.  It sounds like there are 5 guys that are interchangeable at the top.  The difference between 1 and 5 is not considered the same as the difference between 5 and 6.

Yes definitely. Sometimes there could be a bigger difference between say 10 and 12 than 12 and 25. Not just for baseball but all types of rankings or big boards.

That's why I do prefer lists that break it down into tiers or put the grade next to the player to give you a better idea of the actual disparity or lack there of between players. 

• Like 1

Work has been a bit busy so you guys will get Tuesday and Wednesday Wrap Ups

Tuesday
Toledo L 10-7

Meadows 3/4 2B HR RBI BB K
Malloy 0/5 RBI OF Assist
Carpenter 1/4 RBI BB HR
Sands 0/3 K 2BB
Lipcius 3/4 BB 2B
Bergner 3.2IP 4ER 4K BB 7H

Erie L 9-4
Cruz 0/4 K
Keith 2/4 2B 2K
Perez 1/4 OF Assist K
Dingler 0/4 2K
Workman 0/3 BB 2K
Hurter 4.1IP 6H 3ER 5K
Holub 1IP 3K

WM L 4-2
Pacheco 0/3 BB 2K
Jung 1/5 RBI 2K
Allen 1/3 BB K
Campos 2/4 OF Assist
Serretti 1/4 K 
Burhenn .2IP 2ER 2BB 2H

Lakeland L 7-6
De La Cruz 1/6 3K 2B
Santana 1/3 2BB K
Gold 2/4 3RBI 2B HR SB BB 2K
Bastidas 2/5 RBI
Alvarado 1IP 0H 0K

FCL L 8-6
Perez 0/3 3K
Gil 1/3
Perez 2IP 3ER 3BB K

Wednesday
Toledo W 7-5

Meadows 0/4 RBI BB K
Malloy 2/4 HR 2B
Carpenter 1/4 RBI K
Lipcius 3/4 3B 2RBI K
O'Loughlin 5IP 6H 0ER BB 2K

Erie L 8-7
Cruz 1/4 HR 2RBI
Keith 1/4 2B BB K SB
Perez 2/5 SB
Dingler 1/5 2K 2B
Workman 0/3 BB 2K OF Assist
Montero  .2IP 6ER 6H BB 2K

WM L 9-4
Pacheco 1/4 RBI 2B 2K
Jung 0/4 2K
Allen 1/4
Campos 1/4
Serretti 2/3 RBI
Brieske 1IP 2K
Melton 4IP 1H 4K

Lakeland L 3-1
Gold 1/3 BB K
Bastidas 0/3 2K
Santana 0/2 2BB SB CS

Not a great night on the farm

Toledo L 5-4
Meadows 0/5 2K
Malloy 1/4 RBI BB 2K
Sand 1/5 K
Lipcius 0/4 BB 3K

Erie  10 Inn. L 10-8
Cruz 1/4 2RBI BB K
Keith 2/5 K 2B
Perez 1/5 RBI
Workman 1/5 2B 2K
Madden .2IP 2K 2ER 3H
Holub 2IP 1H BB 3K

WM L 4-1
Pacheco 0/4 K
Jung 1/4 K
Campos 1/4
Allen 0/2 HBP
Crouch 0/2 BB

Lakeland L 11-3
De La Cruz 2/5 2B OF Assist
Santana 1/3 K
Gold 1/5 3K
Johnson 2/4 2B SB K BB RBI 
Rosenthal 1IP BB

FCL Tigers W 6-1
Perez 0/4 BB
Gil 1/4 BB K 2B
DJ Peters 2IP BB K

• Thanks 1

Yeah it is, what makes it even worse is that were not exactly loaded with young talent on the big league roster either.

If we had a half dozen or so young studs on the roster it would make it easier to put up with the crappy system but that of course isn't the case. 

how's that jackson jobe pick working out?  wait...he's hurt?  a high school pitching prospect got hurt?  no way!  but  but, but, spin rate!!!!!

i was all in favor of team tank, but i forgot to factor in who was making the draft picks.  stupid me.

7 hours ago, buddha said:

how's that jackson jobe pick working out?  wait...he's hurt? 

Surprised I haven't seen him moved to the 60, he's already been on short term IL for 60+ days. Team is a disaster and they don't even have a player they'd like to add to the roster to help?

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Surprised I haven't seen him moved to the 60, he's already been on short term IL for 60+ days. Team is a disaster and they don't even have a player they'd like to add to the roster to help?

I don't understand this criticism?