POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

26 minutes ago, Archie said:

You are right it is my loss and every American citizens loss they let these illegal invaders remain in the US to spread disease and commit crimes.  All should be sent back until they come in legally.  So many Americans are required to have covid vax but illegals coming across southern border get a pass. How come?

Yeah, it's Americans' job to spread disease and commit crime!

Edited by chasfh
  • Haha 1

The US has a demographically stagnant population.... all with boomers on the precipice of retirement.

Maybe, just maybe, we should make it easier to legally immigrate. Or we should do things to help the economic situation in the places from which these migrants come. 

Doing what the Tennessee lawmaker doesn't do much except, to paraphrase Moynihan, throw some boob bait to the Bubbas.

3 hours ago, Archie said:

You are right it is my loss and every American citizens loss they let these illegal invaders remain in the US to spread disease and commit crimes.  All should be sent back until they come in legally.  So many Americans are required to have covid vax but illegals coming across southern border get a pass. How come?

Covid 19 cases are higher in counties that went for Trump. Rates of morbid obesity, high blood pressure, and heart disease are higher in states that vote Republican. So speaking of diseased people, take a look at your party and the people who vote Republican. It's almost as if there is a correlation between poverty and poor health. And what are most southern states, impoverished and full of people in poor health.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

The US has a demographically stagnant population.... all with boomers on the precipice of retirement.

Maybe, just maybe, we should make it easier to legally immigrate. Or we should do things to help the economic situation in the places from which these migrants come. 

Doing what the Tennessee lawmaker doesn't do much except, to paraphrase Moynihan, throw some boob bait to the Bubbas.

exactly!  we NEED more immigrants.  they should make it easier to immigrate legally.  much easier.

We do need more legal immigrants here and we need to give those who are undocumented a fair pathway to citizenship. The trouble is, we have a significant number of people in one political party, the Republicans, running around trying to wall off the borders like a Soviet blockade and telling everyone "THIS IS AMERICA. WE SPEAK ENGLISH HERE. LEARN OR LEAVE." It's hard to pass real immigration reform as it is given the corporate influence for cheap labor over our immigration system. When you add in a bunch of doddering clowns using it as a culture war, that complicates things further politically.

Twenty-first-Century Immigrants and their families will learn English in the same manner our own immigrant families from non-English-speaking countries did: the adults who come over may or may not learn Englsh and have heavy accents if they do; the children who come over will definitely learn English but probably have accents of varying weights; and the children of immigrants born here will grow up speaking English like a native, because to be a cool American kid, you have to speak English and like American things.

It's always been like that, and it always will be like that.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

We do need more legal immigrants here and we need to give those who are undocumented a fair pathway to citizenship. The trouble is, we have a significant number of people in one political party, the Republicans, running around trying to wall off the borders like a Soviet blockade and telling everyone "THIS IS AMERICA. WE SPEAK ENGLISH HERE. LEARN OR LEAVE." It's hard to pass real immigration reform as it is given the corporate influence for cheap labor over our immigration system. When you add in a bunch of doddering clowns using it as a culture war, that complicates things further politically.

The illegals in this country should never be rewarded with anything. It only intices more to come in.  All people here illegally should be deported. There are laws on how to enter the US and they should be enforced. Unfortunatly we have people in office that don't care about the security and safety of the American citizens and the US.

On the same topic  Biden said today at a Governor's conference that neither him or Harris can figure out why these people are leaving their home countries. They are talking with other countries to try to figure it out. This prove the man and his lackey VP are completely clueless and totally incompetent. What's even more rediculous is people like you guys not only support him but think he's doing a good job.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

we dont have immigration reform because a majority if americans do not want immigration reform.

americans love the immigration story of this country, they do not like the current situation at the border and illegal immigration.  that includes all americans, including hispanic americans.

being "anti illegal immigration" is a winning issue for republicans and a loser for democrats, who were dragged to the left in their primary season last election.

1 hour ago, Archie said:

The illegals in this country should never be rewarded with anything. It only intices more to come in.  All people here illegally should be deported. There are laws on how to enter the US and they should be enforced. Unfortunatly we have people in office that don't care about the security and safety of the American citizens and the US.

On the same topic  Biden said today at a Governor's conference that neither him or Harris can figure out why these people are leaving their home countries. They are talking with other countries to try to figure it out. This prove the man and his lackey VP are completely clueless and totally incompetent. What's even more rediculous is people like you guys not only support him but think he's doing a good job.

lol rediculous

2 hours ago, buddha said:

we dont have immigration reform because a majority if americans do not want immigration reform.

americans love the immigration story of this country, they do not like the current situation at the border and illegal immigration.  that includes all americans, including hispanic americans.

being "anti illegal immigration" is a winning issue for republicans and a loser for democrats, who were dragged to the left in their primary season last election.

MAGA and many Republicans does not love the immigration story. They love the story of how their white ancestors came to America. Brown and blacked skinned immigrants and those non-Christian folks coming here legally are met with disdain on the right and in the MAGA movement. The this "THIS IS AMERICA, WE SPEAK ENGLISH AND ONE NATION UNDER GOD" MAGA crowd wants a walled-off, Soviet style border to anyone that isn't white. They want only white, Christian, God fearing people to be allowed in and people seeking to vote Republican from Cuba and Venezuela. Even then, they tell them to speak English because that's what we do in America. They want Muslims and people from Muslim-majority nations kept out of the country. What do you think all of those baseless Fox News, OAN, Newsmax, and Brietbart Caravan stories were all about?

I remember in 2019 when Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib was first elected I went to her swearing in ceremony at River Rouge high school and the MAGA folks were out there (I remember there being about 20-25 people) decrying her election. I went out and chatted with some of the protestors and got the following general statements from the 5-6 people I talked with. First, Rashida is not an American citizen. Never mind the fact that Rashida and her siblings is a natural born citizen and born to parents who had themselves legal citizenship in America. Second, a Muslim shouldn't be elected to Congress and has no right serving in government. Three, how come she didn't have an American flag on stage and had a Palestinian one instead. Actually, she did have one on stage, I was in the auditorium, I know she did, I have the photographic proof that she did. Four, she swore in on the Quran and not the Bible. I remember her doing that, and so what that she did. One lady told me her and her husband wipe their ass with copies of the Quran when they use the bathroom. This same lady told me that she is of Ukrainian heritage but you don't see her wearing a pro-Ukrainian shirt or publicizing that she's Ukrainian-American.

I remember in 2018 when Donald Trump said he prefers to be called a Nationalist. Trump was met with cheers and support on the right for referring to himself as a Nationalist.

I remember in 2017 when President Trump was met with adoration by the right for his Muslim travel ban.

I remember in 2009 when the MAGA and Tea Party crowd were out in force declaring that President Obama was Kenyan-born person and was not a citizen of the United States and thus an illegitimate President.

This is who MAGA is and this is what they want. Denying that is denying reality. Take one look at the policies on immigration they have supported over the past decade or more. Take a look at the news stories and opinion pieces they run.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

51 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

MAGA and many Republicans does not love the immigration story. They love the story of how their white ancestors came to America. Brown and blacked skinned immigrants and those non-Christian folks coming here legally are met with disdain on the right and in the MAGA movement. The this "THIS IS AMERICA, WE SPEAK ENGLISH AND ONE NATION UNDER GOD" MAGA crowd wants a walled-off, Soviet style border to anyone that isn't white. They want only white, Christian, God fearing people to be allowed in and people seeking to vote Republican from Cuba and Venezuela. Even then, they tell them to speak English because that's what we do in America. They want Muslims and people from Muslim-majority nations kept out of the country. What do you think all of those baseless Fox News, OAN, Newsmax, and Brietbart Caravan stories were all about?

I remember in 2019 when Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib was first elected I went to her swearing in ceremony at River Rouge high school and the MAGA folks were out there (I remember there being about 20-25 people) decrying her election. I went out and chatted with some of the protestors and got the following general statements from the 5-6 people I talked with. First, Rashida is not an American citizen. Never mind the fact that Rashida and her siblings is a natural born citizen and born to parents who had themselves legal citizenship in America. Second, a Muslim shouldn't be elected to Congress and has no right serving in government. Three, how come she didn't have an American flag on stage and had a Palestinian one instead. Actually, she did have one on stage, I was in the auditorium, I know she did, I have the photographic proof that she did. Four, she swore in on the Quran and not the Bible. I remember her doing that, and so what that she did. One lady told me her and her husband wipe their ass with copies of the Quran when they use the bathroom. This same lady told me that she is of Ukrainian heritage but you don't see her wearing a pro-Ukrainian shirt or publicizing that she's Ukrainian-American.

I remember in 2018 when Donald Trump said he prefers to be called a Nationalist. Trump was met with cheers and support on the right for referring to himself as a Nationalist.

I remember in 2017 when President Trump was met with adoration by the right for his Muslim travel ban.

I remember in 2009 when the MAGA and Tea Party crowd were out in force declaring that President Obama was Kenyan-born person and was not a citizen of the United States and thus an illegitimate President.

This is who MAGA is and this is what they want. Denying that is denying reality. Take one look at the policies on immigration they have supported over the past decade or more. Take a look at the news stories and opinion pieces they run.

well i'm sorry your chance encounter with maga people went poorly.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1660/immigration.aspx

66% of americans think immigration should be kept at the same levels or decreased.

60% worry about immigration.

81% see illegal immigration as either a critical threat or an important threat to america.

meanwhile 75% say that immigration is a good thing for this country.

again, americans love immigration, but they do not like illegal immigration and that's likely what they see at the border.  when the democrats talk about making the us a borderless society (in the debates) or passing laws attempting to make it ok for non-citizens to vote, or non-citizens to receive state benefits, those are issues that do not appeal to most americans.  

well i'm sorry your chance encounter with maga people went poorly.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1660/immigration.aspx

66% of americans think immigration should be kept at the same levels or decreased.

60% worry about immigration.

81% see illegal immigration as either a critical threat or an important threat to america.

again, americans love immigration, but they do not like illegal immigration and that's likely what they see at the border.  when the democrats talk about making the us a borderless society (in the debates) or passing laws attempting to make it ok for non-citizens to vote, or non-citizens to receive state benefits, those are issues that do not appeal to most americans.  

You can show me all the polling data you like. Policy action matters more than some poll question from Gallup. Also, from your poll 66% believe it should be decreased. Decreasing immigration doesn't sound very supportive of immigration. And what type of voter, what partisan affiliation of voter do you think should be decreased? You know the answer to that question. MAGA and the Republicans.

When MAGA had powered the facts are . . .

1. They and the President implemented a ban on people coming and traveling to America from several Muslim-majority countries.

2. They and the President worked on walling America off with a giant border wall and militarizing the border by sending troops down to the Southern Border.

3. They and the President supported capping the number of refugees we would take from Syria and other parts of the world.

4  They and the President supported making English the national language and routinely criticize people who don't speak English.

5. They spent a decade telling us Barak Obama was a Kenyan-born Muslim who was an illegal citizen and illegitimate President. Guess who funded and spearheaded the Birther Movement, Donald Trump, the President of the United States.

These are tangible, real life policy goals of the MAGA movement and President Donald Trump. They want to regale you with stories of how their white ancestors came here to this country but want to cut off the same opportunity to others. Running around and supporting a President who was cosplaying as George Wallace isn't supporting immigration, no matter how many Gallup polls you can produce. It's stone cold xenophobia and racism and the policies they supported and rhetoric they used bared this out, not any conjecture or opining on my part.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

You can show me all the polling data you like. Policy action matters more than some poll question from Gallup. Also, from your poll 66% believe it should be decreased. Decreasing immigration doesn't sound very supportive of immigration. And what type of voter, what partisan affiliation of voter do you think should be decreased? You know the answer to that question. MAGA and the Republicans.

When MAGA had powered the facts are . . .

1. They and the President implemented a ban on people coming and traveling to America from several Muslim-majority countries.

2. They and the President worked on walling America off with a giant border wall and militarizing the border by sending troops down to the Southern Border.

3. They and the President supported capping the number of refugees we would take from Syria and other parts of the world.

4  They and the President support making English the national language and routinely criticize people who don't speak English.

5. They spent a decade telling us Barak Obama was a Kenyan-born Muslim who was an illegal citizen and illegitimate President. Guess who funded and spearheaded the Birther Movement, Donald Trump, the President of the United States.

These are tangible, real life policy goals of the MAGA movement and President Donald Trump. They want to regale you with stories of how their white ancestors came here to this country but want to cut off the same opportunity to others. Running around and supporting a President who was cosplaying as George Wallace isn't supporting immigration, no matter how many Gallup polls you can produce. It's stone cold xenophobia and racism and the policies they supported and rhetoric they use bares this out, not any conjecture or opining on my part.

what are you arguing with me about?

like i said, americans like to think of america as a place immigrants come to.  ergo, why most americans have a favorable view of "immigration."  its the origin story of the country and people like it.  even all the maga people you think are nothing but racists.

that said, americans do not like illegal immigration and theyre worried about it.  see the poll numbers.  politically, that's good for republicans.  its probably a big reason why trump got elected in the first place.

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

like i said, americans like to think of america as a place immigrants come to.  ergo, why most americans have a favorable view of "immigration."  its the origin story of the country and people like it.  even all the maga people you think are nothing but racists.

that said, americans do not like illegal immigration and theyre worried about it.  see the poll numbers.  politically, that's good for republicans.  its probably a big reason why trump got elected in the first place.

Do you really believe in your heart that Trump and a large majority of people in the MAGA movement that support him are are not racist or xenophobic? Do you really believe that some Gallup poll proves this? They supported a travel ban from Muslim-majority nations. They supported hard caps on legal immigration. They supported keeping Syrian and other refugees out. They supported ending birthright citizenship. They supported making English the official language. Why do you think that is? Anyone can tell Gallup or any polling firm whatever they want. If you vote for Trump and mirror his rhetoric, then you don't support immigration, legal or undocumented/illegal.

Trump during the 2016 campaign on immigration . . .

When do we beat Mexico at the border? They're laughing at us, at our stupidity. And now they are beating us economically. They are not our friend, believe me. But they're killing us economically.

The U.S. has become a dumping ground for everybody else's problems.

(APPLAUSE)

Thank you. It's true, and these are the best and the finest. When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

But I speak to border guards and they tell us what we're getting. And it only makes common sense. It only makes common sense. They're sending us not the right people.

It's coming from more than Mexico. It's coming from all over South and Latin America, and it's coming probably — probably — from the Middle East. But we don't know. Because we have no protection and we have no competence, we don't know what's happening. And it's got to stop and it's got to stop fast.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

I find the distinction between legal and illegal immigration a marketing tour de force by the GOP since most of the immigrants that got this country off the ground came before there were any immigration laws at all - they just showed up - so they are no different than all the people that Americans today are so happy to label as different because they are 'illegal' when the only real difference is that they are little browner than the people who come from Western Europe that we decided had more right to that 'legal' marketing label. Guaranteed if we were being inundated by British Boris Johnson refugees without green cards no-one would care a whit.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

Quotes about immigration from Presidents of the United States . . .

“Nearly all Americans have ancestors who braved the oceans – liberty-loving risk takers in search of an ideal – the largest voluntary migrations in recorded history… Immigration is not just a link to America’s past; it’s also a bridge to America’s future.” - George H.W. Bush

“The land flourished because it was fed from so many sources–because it was nourished by so many cultures and traditions and peoples.” - Lyndon Johnson

"They all have aids." - Donald Trump (Trump said in the oval office about Haitian immigrants)

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I find the distinction between legal and illegal immigration a marketing tour de force by the GOP since most of the immigrants that got this country off the ground came before there were any immigration laws at all - they just showed up - so they are no different than all the people that Americans today are so happy to label as different because they are 'illegal' when the only real difference is that they are little browner than the people who come from Western Europe that we decided had more right to that 'legal' marketing label. Guaranteed if we were being inundated by British Boris Johnson refugees without green cards no-one would care a whit.

the world is a much different place than when most of those immigrants came here.

regardless, youre not really arguing with what i wrote, your just making a comment about history.