POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

TBF, the 'well put' credit goes to Adam Serwer and Cedric Robinson. Bouie was just the curator.

serwer is the same way.

theyre both good writers and thoughtful thinkers, its their twitter personalities that are grating.  the need to be rude to others publicly is oft putting to me.  but im old...

and trump kind of broke both of them.

21 minutes ago, buddha said:

serwer is the same way.

theyre both good writers and thoughtful thinkers, its their twitter personalities that are grating.  the need to be rude to others publicly is oft putting to me.  but im old...

and trump kind of broke both of them.

I suppose at some point the mores pendulum will swing back away from the level of rudeness and crudity that is currently acceptable, but I doubt I will live long enough to see it. In the meantime I don't twit and I don't facebook. I at least I got to grow up in a politer society so I have my memories.....🙄

Edited by gehringer_2

am I unique in that I don't even notice what the gas price is?  I just go and fill up.  It'll be what it'll be.  I know I'm fortunate to not have such a tight budget but without the news stories about rising prices I wouldn't know if it's up or down.  I just go get gas when I need it.  Money comes out.  I have what I have.

15 minutes ago, oblong said:

am I unique in that I don't even notice what the gas price is?  I just go and fill up.  It'll be what it'll be.  I know I'm fortunate to not have such a tight budget but without the news stories about rising prices I wouldn't know if it's up or down.  I just go get gas when I need it.  Money comes out.  I have what I have.

Same, I mean what can you do other than shake your head or roll your eyes? 

50 minutes ago, oblong said:

You might be. The price of gas shouldn't matter to me, either, but I definitely pay attention. I would travel the two extra miles I need to to pay 4.49 for gas instead of the 5.19 gas around the corner. The ten-dollar difference on the tank makes it worth it to me.

Plus, I think not a few drivers gamify the whole gas price thing, too. Save a dime a gallon by going kitty-corner across the intersection to the other station and I feel like I've won that round.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I am cognizant of it, but not much I can do.

I pay attention to the recent mileage that I am getting.  I've been up to 31.7 in the summer and now I'm down to 31.1.  Every time it ticks one way or the other on the dashboard, it makes me happy/sad for a minute.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I notice it because I drive gas guzzlers so the price fluctuation is more noticeable. 

I have a gas guzzler but I work from home 100% so I go out once or twice a week for groceries or Subway or sushi or whatever... and gas prices are barely registering on my radar. Plus I have the cheapest gas place in town right across from me basically so whatever I'm paying it's at least 15 cents or more lower than everybody else...

3 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Was not sure where to put this but strange setting for the Olympics. It reminds me of a sci-fi Chernobyl worst case scenario high population nuclear meltdown scene.

96831D99-E973-4C0F-BA04-AA9154ED9E1C.jpeg

So those are 'parabolic' cooling towers. That is what you use when you need really big cooling, like at a power plant - the key to them is that they are passive, they don't have fans. The size creates enough chimney effect. That makes them more cost effective at big installations. They are not used exclusively at nuke plants, any big facility might use them, and in fact the ones at the skiing site are from a massive steel works that was shut down before the 2008 Olympics as part of the pollution abatement push then.

You can tell they are out of service because if they were working there would be cloud of condensate mist above them. 

3 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes those towers were from a coal burning steel factory.  Jimmy Kimmel had a good line, it seemed odd to put a winter sports facility beside the reason why we don't have winter anymore.

HaHa. Of course in the interest of full disclosure, the old blast furnace steel plants were huge sources of SO2 emissions, which caused acid rate but also have negative global warming influence because they increase the reflectivity of the atmosphere. It would not be PC to study it in detail, but the huge global reductions in SO2 emissions world wide when acid rain awareness hit in the 70's probably had at least some percentage part in why global temps took such a  'hockey' turn in recent years. SO2 aerosols would have had a masking effect on the growing greenhouse potential of the CO2.

On 2/7/2022 at 11:49 AM, oblong said:

I have never paid much attention to it, especially now that I work at home most of the time.  I don't know how much particular items of food cost either.  I notice that the total price has gone up, but it would have anyway because I have switched to Instacart which means there is a service fee and a tip.   I notice how much things that I don't need cost more than things that I need to survive.