4/14 8:10 Tigers @ Royals

Tigeraholic1

4 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Does anyone know if Jim is doing road games this year?

Did he do any last season?  I cannot remember how many games he did.  I remember Dan Petry and Austin Jackson helped fill in some, and I think there might have been a handful of games that Dan Dickerson was solo.

Don’t recall if he traveled any or not. I do remember AJax and Petry filling in. I like both of those guys working with Dan. 
I just wondered with Jim’s issues in the past if he would just do home games going forward. He’s been strong out of the gate to date which is good.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

The Blue Jays are not even sending their radio crew on road trips this season. Not sure whether due to Covid (Ontario may be last jurisdiction in North America still obsessed) or just being cheapos. 

MASN TV teams (ie. Orioles / Nats) aren't either... I'd imagine it makes sense for Jim Palmer, who is 74, but seems like the others could handle it.

Duane Kuiper announced he is retiring from traveling but will still join Krukow in the studio for games and remain active otherwise. 
Kuiper lost his wife unexpectadly a month or so back and the cause of her death hasn’t been reported. Kuiper is 71 as I recall. 

The Blue Jays are not even sending their radio crew on road trips this season. Not sure whether due to Covid (Ontario may be last jurisdiction in North America still obsessed) or just being cheapos. 

My unsolicited opinion of this is it’s ridiculous. As Jim Price would say…”It makes no sense.”

It's because they are cheap, and Rogers has this stupid idea that listening to the TV guys on the radio is the same as listening to the radio guys.  The outcome will be that Buck Martinez the super-annoying TV guy will talk even more, if that's possible.

4 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

It's because they are cheap, and Rogers has this stupid idea that listening to the TV guys on the radio is the same as listening to the radio guys.  The outcome will be that Buck Martinez the super-annoying TV guy will talk even more, if that's possible.

The tigers did some simulcasting back in the early 60's? If fact I think Kell and Harwell may even have worked together on some of those, but if nothing else, I think replay has made simulcasting pretty unworkable. You can't show replays on the radio and you can't not use replay on the telecast so that alone make trying to do both simultaneously pretty impossible. Even if I know Dickerson is looking at a monitor to give me details of the last play, that's still very different from him doing the correct narration of a clip for a viewer who can see it.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

The tigers did some simulcasting back in the early 60's? If fact I think Kell and Harwell may even have worked together on some of those, but if nothing else, I think replay has made simulcasting pretty unworkable. You can't show replays on the radio and you can't not use replay on the telecast so that alone make trying to do both simultaneously pretty impossible. Even if I know Dickerson is looking at a monitor to give me details of the last play, that's still very different from him doing the correct narration of a clip for a viewer who can see it.

I don't think a simulcast would be that impossible.  I may need to pay more attention to that the next time I watch a Walleye or Mud Hens game.  Both have home games simulcast on TV & radio.  I'll rather than listen, so that might not be the same experience, but I've never really considered whether the radio side is getting a poor broadcast at the expense of the TV broadcast.