Coronavirus: Already In a Neighborhood Near You

chasfh

13 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Not sure who all follows golf, but there is a tournament in Bermuda this week, which effectively requires a vaccine. They were unable to fill the field and players are dropping like flies. There have been rumblings that many players are antivax...

Love it

Got my booster today. Hoping I don’t have much a reaction to the shot, as I am covering at work both my hours tomorrow and someone else’s morning hours. That’ll be tough if I get some of the chills/aches that I got with my second shot, but I don’t think I will.  I’m not hearing people hurting after the booster.🤞🏼

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Got my booster today. Hoping I don’t have much a reaction to the shot, as I am covering at work both my hours tomorrow and someone else’s morning hours. That’ll be tough if I get some of the chills/aches that I got with my second shot, but I don’t think I will.  I’m not hearing people hurting after the booster.🤞🏼

I had close to no reaction. Pretty minor soreness in the arm the 1st night, but that was actually more than I had for either of the 1st two so go figure.

43 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Good luck! I’m getting mine on Sunday and have two co-workers that left that we haven’t officially backfilled yet so I can’t miss Monday. 🤞 

With the cold and dampness coming Sunday and Monday I started to feel run down and congested. Working in the basement when the heat isn’t coming on so much and it dips below 65 got to me.  Got my booster tuesday. Felt like shit yesterday, probably 75%.  Not sure if it was from any of that or getting up at 5 to get my son off to school.  

today I feel fine. Ran 3 miles this morning just to test myself out.  Arm soreness at injection point but that’s normal.  

43 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

94FF81DF-8A7A-4708-BCE2-43749F8EED33.jpeg

I've always loved the 'demotivator' posters. I used to have the 'Teamwork'  one with the snowball  rolling down the hill- "a few flakes can start an avalanche of destruction." 

(Interestingly, when I clicked that link on a Mac it left the Apple News app (which I had removed) on my desktop......😡)

Edited by gehringer_2

so what do you do now?  cases are up everywhere, including countries with high vaccine rates.

its not a matter of complacency, or something we can control, its a viral infection that is just going to play itself out until it burns out.  get as many people vaccinated so they dont get too sick when they get it, keep developing mitigation drugs for people who do get it, and get on with our lives.

i dont see what else we should do.

51 minutes ago, buddha said:

so what do you do now?  cases are up everywhere, including countries with high vaccine rates.

its not a matter of complacency, or something we can control, its a viral infection that is just going to play itself out until it burns out.  get as many people vaccinated so they dont get too sick when they get it, keep developing mitigation drugs for people who do get it, and get on with our lives.

i dont see what else we should do.

It's not the what - it's the how. We've known for a year now that we can kill this thing by masking and vaccinating people and here we are in the worlds supposedly premier 1st world country with 40% of the population unvaccinated. It's not true that the it's the virus that is so clever that we can't stop it, it's that people refuse to be as 'clever' as  they should already know how to be. I'm on a campus full of "irresponsible" 18-22 yr olds and we have a 5/100k infection rate while surrounded by a state with a 40/100k rate, because we are simply doing the things we all already know how to do, which is mostly getting vaccinated, but also intelligent use of masks. We can control it, we simply lack the discipline. That is not an epidemiological problem, it's a cultural one.

Case rates throughout MI exactly track vaccination rates. The idea that it's still the virus that is the problem is BS.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

51 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's not the what - it's the how. We've known for a year now that we can kill this thing by masking and vaccinating people and here we are in the worlds supposedly premier 1st world country with 40% of the population unvaccinated. It's not true that the it's the virus that is so clever that we can't stop it, it's that people refuse to be as 'clever' as  they should already know how to be. I'm on a campus full of "irresponsible" 18-22 yr olds and we have a 5/100k infection rate while surrounded by a state with a 40/100k rate, because we are simply doing the things we all already know how to do, which is mostly getting vaccinated, but also intelligent use of masks. We can control it, we simply lack the discipline. That is not an epidemiological problem, it's a cultural one.

Case rates throughout MI exactly track vaccination rates. The idea that it's still the virus that is the problem is BS.

80% of denmark is fully vaccinated and cases are increasing.  "cases" will continue to happen because its an infectious disease.

of those cases in denmark, 99.8% of them are mild.  

the point being, just counting "cases" isnt a great measure anymore, imo.  continue to work to vaccinate and remediate and continue to lower the risk of the virus to people who do get it.  the fact that "cases" are increasing isnt a reason for real alarm, imo.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

The fact that cases are increasing is a cause for alarm because (and I don’t care if the % is small) inevitably, some of the infected WILL get sick enough to have life long issues or even die.  

Call me crazy, but that still matters to me.

Stop making sense.

56 minutes ago, buddha said:

80% of denmark is fully vaccinated and cases are increasing.  "cases" will continue to happen because its an infectious disease.

the point being, just counting "cases" isnt a great measure anymore, imo.  continue to work to vaccinate and remediate and continue to lower the risk of the virus to people who do get it.  the fact that "cases" are increasing isnt a reason for real alarm, imo.

Agreed, get vaxxed don't get vaxxed its up to you. Nothing has stopped the spread. Denmark is the Canary in a cole mine. I have traveled throughout the MW and east coast in the last couple of months. Vey rarley did I even see a mask outside of DC which required them everywhere. It is the new norm unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Agreed, get vaxxed don't get vaxxed its up to you. Nothing has stopped the spread. Denmark is the Canary in a cole mine. I have traveled throughout the MW and east coast in the last couple of months. Vey rarley did I even see a mask outside of DC which required them everywhere. It is the new norm unfortunately.

i live in chicago and everyone is masked up indoors.

outdoors not so much, but there really isnt any need to be masked up outdoors.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

one thing they did guess wrong about initially is that the level of vaccination required to stop transmission is higher than 70%, it's over 80%. But you are correct that in highly vaccinated populations, the same case rate will represent a much lower incidence of serious desease, so the concern over case rates is not comparable when comparing Denmark to Michigan's Cass Co. (vax rate <45%). But in the US vaccination rates in too many places are still too low to be sanguine about case(=positive test) rates.

Edited by gehringer_2