Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

16 hours ago, Hongbit said:

If Opioids had no side effects, most of the world would be using them regularly based on how they make you feel.  

Bingo.  They make you feel great.   When I had back issues (I still do, I just learned to live with it),  taking the opiods not only made me feel good, but I could get **** done.    If there were no side effects, I'd say put it in the water, it'd make us a happier society.  

The bigger question is why do so many people need them in the first place?    Why are so many of us hurting? 

32 minutes ago, pfife said:

reasons mayor pete should resign:

1) Built the Francis Scott Key bridge in the wrong place

2) Ran his fancy Sri Lankan cargo ship into his misplaced bridge

I know this is what you are getting at, but one thing you really notice as a civil engineer is that when stuff like this happens, it really shows how little the general public knows about infrastructure or the DOT.

That's particularly the case since Buttigieg, who has a not-insignificant chunk of Democrats who hate him, became DOT Secretary... he's probably the most effective member of Biden's cabinet, and for the people actually affected by things that have occurred that have entered the DOT's realm, he's won a lot of praise for managing these situations. 

Edited by mtutiger

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I know this is what you are getting at, but one thing you really notice as a civil engineer is that when stuff like this happens, it really shows how little the general public knows about infrastructure or the DOT.

That's particularly the case since Buttigieg, who has a not-insignificant chunk of Democrats who hate him, became DOT Secretary... he's probably the most effective member of Biden's cabinet, and for the people actually affected by things that have occurred that have entered the DOT's realm, he's won a lot of praise for managing these situations. 

I can't speak from a civil engineer perspective but would love to hear more about it.

I think the GOP see's mayor Pete as a serious threat down the road and act accordingly to besmirch him as much as possible.

5 minutes ago, pfife said:

I can't speak from a civil engineer perspective but would love to hear more about it.

It's way too early to know the actual details at this point, but bigger picture, there are very few, if any, bridges that would be able to withstand a large container ship of that size taking out one of it's supports.

It's not an infrastructure funding issue, it's not a political issue, it has nothing to do with Pete Buttigieg, Joe Biden or any other politician.... it's an engineering mechanics issue. Anybody trying to politicize this stuff, particularly while search and rescue efforts are ongoing, can get lost as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, oblong said:

I would say this is un ****ing believable but it really is believable.

Especially since the pilot and crew were locals familiar with the harbor and the river. There were no crew members aboard the ship at the time.
But, let's ban foreign flagged cargo ships. 

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

It's way too early to know the actual details at this point, but bigger picture, there are very few, if any, bridges that would be able to withstand a large container ship of that size taking out one of it's supports.

It's not an infrastructure funding issue, it's not a political issue, it has nothing to do with Pete Buttigieg, Joe Biden or any other politician.... it's an engineering mechanics issue. Anybody trying to politicize this stuff, particularly while search and rescue efforts are ongoing, can get lost as far as I'm concerned.

Yup. These ship are now up to 250,000 tons and there is a practical limit to how low you can make the harbor speed limit because the ships have to maintain steerage, which is needed as container ships have huge windage.

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

This is.... weird and offensive and those two men should be fired and put on a sex offender registry.  If I were her father I might end up in jail.  What the did was rape.

How on earth is this still a thing?! That is most definitely sexual assault.