Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

36 minutes ago, chasfh said:

How did you break away from it all? Did you read something that shook you and got you thinking? Did you just wake up out of a walking stupor? Did loved ones run an intervention for you? Enquiring minds wants to know!

I stayed conservative as you all know but on the far libertarian side I immediately recognized the crackpot side.  You’d read a newsletter and it all sounds fine but then look in the ads and the end and you see some white national stuff.  It was there around the edges. Jon Coon was the libertarian candidate for senate, I think 1994.  I looked into him and it seemed ok. But again you see people around an event with questionable attire or flags. 

think of it like going to a church and you sense some cult like behavior. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

More seriously, I wonder what method they decide on to start moving the wreckage. 

12 hours ago, romad1 said:

I hope we see the first movement of ships out within a week.

Times article today says they are bringing in a large crane and will send divers down to cut the structure into liftable pieces. Going to be very dangerous diving. I'm a little surprised they don't just place a bunch of explosive charges on it to break it up. I would hate to be a diver cutting metal that could be under enough stress to squash me like a bug if it parts the wrong way.

On 3/28/2024 at 10:24 AM, romad1 said:

Listening to one of the pods today heard discussion about the most dangerous conspiracy theorist.   They described it as a guy with high-end DoD training who missed fighting a war for various reasons...maybe he was kicked out for being a jackass or couldn't get promoted because of DUIs.   They say that anyone who actually fought in the various "forever war" knows that you do not want a civil war in the US.   This other example, the one who has been training for one but missed it and has weird grievances could actually do some damage beyond what ISIS or the "patriot Gravy SEALS" types.

THe dude I heard was Ken Harbaugh and he's putting out a film on veterans involved in J6 on apple TV

• Like 1

Our priest told a joke last week at a memorial. “St Peter is showing a new arrival around Heaven.  He approached a room and tells the guy “this is where the Baptists are. Be quiet when you walk by.  They think they are the only ones here”. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Normally I might be surprised they are even considering Catholics along with Christians, but they do know need Catholic votes, too.

Yeah, evangelical Christians don't believe Catholics qualify as Christians, even though the Catholic Church was the original Christian church.

Just curious if anyone has seen or heard any rumblings concerning 4/19.

My wife mentioned seeing or hearing some concern about that date in her conversations. She's definitely not into "wacky" theories but is involved with things like the America 250 celebration and some semi political groups pushing civility in politics, particularly the National Governors Association push to "argue better".

Anyway, the theory goes like this April 19 is a red letter day for some radical groups.  The Battles of Lexington and Concord began on this date in 1775. 4/19/1993 was the date of the Oklahoma City bombing. Waco happened in 1993. Columbine in 1999.

There are a couple of other dates that could be construed as important by conspiracy minded people. It might be a good day to stay in bed. 

19 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Yeah, the 4/19, 4/20 and althought I can't place what specifically 4/21 dates are all stacked up on the nazi right. 

1836…Battle of San Jancinto, Sam Houston defeated Santa Anna to win Texas Independence.

7 hours ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, evangelical Christians don't believe Catholics qualify as Christians, even though the Catholic Church was the original Christian church.

The Eastern Orthodox will give you arg on that!, though the basic point stands :classic_wink:

Edited by gehringer_2