Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I am not expecting SS cuts for me, but I am also not counting on getting full SS. 

I still say it's a fabricated crisis easily and logically fixed by dropping the cap.   

That, and not plundering the fund to pay for other things.   Republicans HATE Social Security, but they sure don't mind "borrowing" from it.  Democrats "borrow" from it too, but at least they don't also want to kill it. 

So the CEO from Boeing, who just stepped down after his company has turned into a complete dumpster fire that probably shouldn't even be in business anymore, walks away with $24 million and can make another $45 million if the next guy doesn't increase the stock price by 37% or more. 

See, America................THIS is the kind of people you need to be pissed off at.    Not some guy who wants to wear a dress or some girl who wants to be a guy or some migrant making next to nothing doing labor we don't want to do.    THIS is the **** that needs to stop, but the only ones that can stop it are in on it.    Great system, ain't it.       

His company literally killed people because they wanted to save less than half a million on simple pilot training.   He gets paid more for it.   

Yipee ! 

Maybe Dave Brandon can take over there.   Sounds like the perfect fit for him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ewsieg said:

If only half my SS went to a private account since I was working though, i'd have a hell of a lot more than I'll ever get out of SS, assuming I still get any at all.

Additionally opting out, while provides more long term ability to solidify SS, requires even more cash up front to cover it.  

One thing you never heard talked about is that if the entire US pension system went private, we might well end up like China (where everyone saves because there is no SS), with a stagnant, over-invested, under consuming economy. It's actually not clear that there is enough investment potential available to absorb all the savings that privatizing SS would generate. The example of China argues it an issue that can't just be dismissed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do people still believe voters are going to willingly and in great numbers power Trump and The Party to an electoral sweep? Seven-plus months out and already we are seeing strong evidence that a nation previously thought too apathetic and self-absorbed to care what happens to it is starting to wise up.

I think there are only two ways Trump can take power at this point:

1. He changes his messaging dramatically for the last seven months to appear as a normal politician, leading everyone to fall prey to collective amnesia about him in the interim.
  2. Violent overthrow of the electoral system and along with it the country, by the MAGA minority.

Which do you think is more likely?

2 hours ago, Netnerd said:

Little known fact: the DJT Version Lee Greenwood edition smells like sulfur.

He says in the video he has "many" Bibles in his home and it is his favorite book. GET THE **** OUT! He couldn't even quote his favorite chapter and verse correctly. 2 Corinthians, LOL!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

He says in the video he has "many" Bibles in his home and it is his favorite book. GET THE **** OUT! He couldn't even quote his favorite chapter and verse correctly. 2 Corinthians, LOL!

It's one of my favorite books, too.

2 Corinthians 11:13-15 - “For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Certainly a good result.  Then again, I don't know how big Al districts are,  but you don't want to get tooo too far over your skis about an election that only totaled 6000 voters.

But Democrats are winning all of these elections and every time there is some excuse like it was only 6,000 people. If Democrats got crushed in these elections the toon would be different. People certainly get too far over their skis when a poll of 600 people drops. 

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

But Democrats are winning all of these elections and every time there is some excuse like it was only 6,000 people. If Democrats got crushed in these elections the toon would be different. People certainly get too far over their skis when a poll of 600 people drops. 

Wont argue any of this. I was just struck that the context of the tweet implied that the IVF decision was driving high voter engagement, but how true can that be when you had a pretty apathetic turnout in total? So drove enough to affect an election where there was general apathy. Is that enough to make the difference in a general election? Hope so.

No question though that pretty much nothing in any of the special elections since 2020 has carried good news for the GOP.  OTOH, 2022 wasn't the win for the Dems some had thought possible either. That base of people who just show up in generals and reflexively vote GOP remains a tough nut to crack.

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Wont argue any of this. I was just struck that the context of the tweet implied that the IVF decision was driving high voter engagement, but how true can that be when you had a pretty apathetic turnout in total? So drove enough to affect an election where there was general apathy. Is that enough to make the difference in a general election? Hope so.

No question though that pretty much nothing in any of the special elections since 2020 has carried good news for the GOP.  OTOH, 2022 wasn't the win for the Dems some had thought possible either. That base of people who just show up in generals and reflexively vote GOP remains a tough nut to crack.

What? 2022 was a big win for the Dems. They even picked up a seat in the senate. It was supposed to be a huge red wave. Republicans were talking about picking up 60 seats. Michigan and Minnesota ended up with Dem trifectas. The Dems didn't hold the house because of big blue states like New York and California who sat out because abortion was already safe there. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

What? 2022 was a big win for the Dems. They even picked up a seat in the senate. It was supposed to be a huge red wave. Republicans were talking about picking up 60 seats. Michigan and Minnesota ended up with Dem trifectas. The Dems didn't hold the house because of big blue states like New York and California who sat out because abortion was already safe there. 

yes but the more optimistic Dems, based at least in part on GOP special election weakness, had entertained hope of holding the House, and as you note, I suppose they might have if they had been a little more conscientious. I know the GOP talked about Red Wave based on  conventional mid-term result histories, but I'm not sure anyone outside the GOP echo chamber thought that was a serious possibility coming off Trump - did they?

Edited by gehringer_2

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

yes but the more optimistic Dems, based at least in part on GOP special election weakness, had entertained hope of holding the House, and as you note, I suppose they might have if they had been a little more conscientious. I know the GOP talked about Red Wave based on  conventional mid-term result histories, but I'm not sure anyone outside the GOP echo chamber thought that was a serious possibility coming off Trump - did they?

Dems were so convinced of a red wave that Andy Levin and Haley Stevens abandoned my district to go against each other in Oakland County. John James won the district by 0.5% against a Dem who the Democratic party did not fund at all. The Dems could've won more if they weren't so convinced there was a red wave coming and they focused of mitigating the damage. Wisconsin and North Carolina come to mind. 

Re: the whole Trump selling bibles thing..

The funniest comment I’ve heard is from Joy Behar, who said “the last time Trump was on his knees it was to pick up a French fry”.

😂  that’s gold. 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, romad1 said:

So someone is telling Trump not to do rallies because he looks senile when he does, and Trump is agreeing to that? Trump is letting someone else call the shots for him?

I don't know, that doesn't sound right to me.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

So someone is telling Trump not to do rallies because he looks senile when he does, and Trump is agreeing to that? Trump is letting someone else call the shots for him?

I don't know, that doesn't sound right to me.

Feature or bug?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Feature or bug?

pretty bad :classic_laugh: though the edit on cost is probably incorrect. The issue of total money (i.e. cost to the government) and cost borne by individuals are two separate questions so if that is where Trump was going, which I would find credible, the syntax is not redundant, only badly executed.