Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

8 hours ago, chasfh said:

Normally I might be surprised they are even considering Catholics along with Christians, but they do know need Catholic votes, too.

Yeah, evangelical Christians don't believe Catholics qualify as Christians, even though the Catholic Church was the original Christian church.

I'm a Catholic and find it really offensive, although it's unsurprising 

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'm a Catholic and find it really offensive, although it's unsurprising 

I'm a lapsed Catholic and even I find it offensive. But hey, they long to slurp our tears, so ...

As someone who grew up with a Greek Orthodox father and Catholic mother, I always got the impression that Orthodox was the #1 Christian religion.  The Catholics were not quite as solid, but a close second.  The Protestants were a distant third,  They tried hard, but their religion was too shallow.  😄

9 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

As someone who grew up with a Greek Orthodox father and Catholic mother, I always got the impression that Orthodox was the #1 Christian religion.  The Catholics were not quite as solid, but a close second.  The Protestants were a distant third,  They tried hard, but their religion was too shallow.  😄

The Orthodox Church claims its legacy back to the '7 churches' in the Greek Mediterranean  referred to in Revelation: Pergamon, Ephesus, Smyrna (now Izmir in Turkey), etc. which is going back about as far as you can go back. The split with the Bishop of Rome was mostly about political power. In the east, a Christian 'Roman' Emperor still existed, in the West the empire had collapsed into competing Christian and pagan nation states and the Roman Church wanted to have a unified, unquestionable ecclesiastical power to counterweight the loss of a unitary Christian political power, but Eastern bishops saw nothing special about their Roman brethren. By 1000 yrs into the history of the church there were doctrinal differences emerging between east and west, but those probably could have been papered over if not for the European church's political imperatives. Theological corruption in the service of political power in the Roman church in turn largely precipitated the Protestant reformation. The American evangelical movement has now set itself up for that same type of outcome.

What goes around, comes around.

6 minutes ago, oblong said:

I remember reading in the 90’s that the Catholic Church and one of the Orthodox churches removed their excommunications of each other. 

No, there isn't much energy in the schism anymore, but no other church will ever agree to the primacy of the Pope and it's hard to see Rome ever giving it up, so more peaceful co-existence is as far as any idea of re-unification will ever get.

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

I have a bunch of close friends who are have gone completely nutso over this. They've been  plotting how/where to get to the totality zone for months. I'm afraid they have sucked in the SO now, so I fear I'm going to the eclipse and contributing to the chaos - somewhere....

Edited by gehringer_2

I'm going to a university in Indianapolis where the festivities start around noon. They're supposed to have live music and food trucks and professors explaining things and stuff like that.The actual eclipse starts around 1:50pm, it's full at 3:06pm for a few minutes.

Our plan, currently, is to leave here about 6:00am and get into the area by 10:00am. I hope we can get from the edge of the city to the university within two hours. But the way this is getting hyped up, we may end up sitting on the side of a street someplace and just looking at it ourselves. maybe some local radio station will have an astronomer on air to explain it as it goes.

We booked a hotel near the airport on March 19, and ended up there because a bunch of hotels near the university were already sold out. Good thing we had the presence of mind to book a reservation for dinner nearby!

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm going to a university in Indianapolis where the festivities start around noon. They're supposed to have live music and food trucks and professors explaining things and stuff like that.The actual eclipse starts around 1:50pm, it's full at 3:06pm for a few minutes.

Our plan, currently, is to leave here about 6:00am and get into the area by 10:00am. I hope we can get from the edge of the city to the university within two hours. But the way this is getting hyped up, we may end up sitting on the side of a street someplace and just looking at it ourselves. maybe some local radio station will have an astronomer on air to explain it as it goes.

We booked a hotel near the airport on March 19, and ended up there because a bunch of hotels near the university were already sold out. Good thing we had the presence of mind to book a reservation for dinner nearby!

I hope you have clear skies!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, oblong said:

My house is in the path of totality.  I scheduled the day off work a long while ago to enjoy it, all 90 seconds or whatever.

It passes through the area around the time many schools are letting out.  I thought it was a bit odd that they hadn't cancelled already (they since have) due to the liability concerns over transportation with a possibility chaotic idiocy on the roads.  Or you get the random kid that does look at the eclipse and then the parents want to sue the school system.

I don't know if panic is the word, but the local news stations have been talking up the eclipse for a while now.  It does sound like a lot of area hotels are booked for the event.  The more I think about, the more I'm happy with the fact that I'm just staying home for the day.  Hermitism for the win that day.  But I didn't stock up on Bell's Oberon Eclipse.  I'm going to have to remember to not commit that faux pas for the next eclipse.

Can you imagine prehistoric times when this happens?  I'm thinking a group of cavemen types, with little "education", not places like Egypt or  Aztecs.  Just sitting around getting food ready, fishing, whatever... then the sun gets covered up and things go dark.  Would they think the world was ending.  Did they find the nearest woman and start having sex?   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Can you imagine prehistoric times when this happens?  I'm thinking a group of cavemen types, with little "education", not places like Egypt or  Aztecs.  Just sitting around getting food ready, fishing, whatever... then the sun gets covered up and things go dark.  Would they think the world was ending.  Did they find the nearest woman and start having sex?   

Reminds me of the Tintin comic book from when I was a kid. He gets captured by the Inca's and is about to get burned at the stake. Luckily an eclipse happens, they all panic and he's miraculously saved. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, oblong said:

They would probably start sacrificing people until the sun came back out.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

My guess is that it would track with the beginning of 2001 A Space Odyssey when the monolith first appears.... first exhibiting fear, then being drawn in by it?

Edited by mtutiger

They've canceled schools here as well. But since it seems most of the districts are on Easter (Spring) break this week, it doesn't seem like a huge deal to tack on another day. They could just easily call it a pollen day.

I had an inkling this morning to try to head over to Wallops Island since NASA has planned a couple of test rockets to study the event. The three hour drive on heels of a long weekend in Durham made me quickly nix that. I'm sure it's also nearly impossible to find lodging nearby. We're a bit to far to clearly see a daytime launch here, I've seen a couple night time ones.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

Not a bad idea, but the kids will be home.