Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

32 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I have to imagine there is a study out there on it, but I really do wonder if we have a greater percentage of conspiracy theorists, or unlike 20 years ago where all they had was Coast to Coast AM to air their beliefs, they have social media which makes it seem a larger group than it really is.

While the nutso reaction to this bridge accident is crazy, I unfortunately even saw a source I'd consider legitimate have some labor psychologist they quoted that said fatigue could have been a factor due to the time.  Not as crazy as 'they did it on purpose', but arguably just as reckless if she really was some 'expert' in the field as there is no way she knew any details that could have made her question that.

Just my opinion but conspiracy theories and social media really seem to be very simpatico, I gotta think it's more rampant now b/c od social media.

I would bet you could even see a rise from art bell days to even when crappy chain emails came about

my good buddy in college used to listen to art bell every night, this buddy was one of the smartest most creative thinking people I've still ever met, and he would always see genius in that **** and it was always really hard for me to see it.   I think he originally got into it b/c of the people art bell would have on about hallucinogens such as terrence mckenna

Edited by pfife

16 minutes ago, pfife said:

Just my opinion but conspiracy theories and social media really seem to be very simpatico, I gotta think it's more rampant now b/c od social media.

I would bet you could even see a rise from art bell days to even when crappy chain emails came about

my good buddy in college used to listen to art bell every night, this buddy was one of the smartest most creative thinking people I've still ever met, and he would always see genius in that **** and it was always really hard for me to see it.   I think he originally got into it b/c of the people art bell would have on about hallucinogens such as terrence mckenna

I dabbled in it in the early 90's.  Listened to Mark Scott on the radio every morning.  The UN Black Helicopter stuff.  Randy Weaver. Koresh.  "New World Order".   I think there were people always susceptiple to that way of thinking but with the rise of talk radio in the late 80's, along with usenet groups and message board (Pre Internet Days), it gave them ways to connect.  They started to view George Bush as a 'globalist' and that's where you saw the early seeds of discord on the far right.  The mixture of racism and populism which Perot tapped into.  The internet itself didn't do much to to elevate it from where it was for 10+ years but social media did.  And what did we have when social media took off? A black President.  Perect combination and Trump saw that opening and capitalized on it.

33 minutes ago, oblong said:

I dabbled in it in the early 90's.  Listened to Mark Scott on the radio every morning.  The UN Black Helicopter stuff.  Randy Weaver. Koresh.  "New World Order".   I think there were people always susceptiple to that way of thinking but with the rise of talk radio in the late 80's, along with usenet groups and message board (Pre Internet Days), it gave them ways to connect.  They started to view George Bush as a 'globalist' and that's where you saw the early seeds of discord on the far right.  The mixture of racism and populism which Perot tapped into.  The internet itself didn't do much to to elevate it from where it was for 10+ years but social media did.  And what did we have when social media took off? A black President.  Perect combination and Trump saw that opening and capitalized on it.

Listening to one of the pods today heard discussion about the most dangerous conspiracy theorist.   They described it as a guy with high-end DoD training who missed fighting a war for various reasons...maybe he was kicked out for being a jackass or couldn't get promoted because of DUIs.   They say that anyone who actually fought in the various "forever war" knows that you do not want a civil war in the US.   This other example, the one who has been training for one but missed it and has weird grievances could actually do some damage beyond what ISIS or the "patriot Gravy SEALS" types.

15 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Listening to one of the pods today heard discussion about the most dangerous conspiracy theorist.   They described it as a guy with high-end DoD training who missed fighting a war for various reasons...maybe he was kicked out for being a jackass or couldn't get promoted because of DUIs.   They say that anyone who actually fought in the various "forever war" knows that you do not want a civil war in the US.   This other example, the one who has been training for one but missed it and has weird grievances could actually do some damage beyond what ISIS or the "patriot Gravy SEALS" types.

I bet a good portion of the Jan 6 folks were those you described.

Preppers.  They spend a lot of time at ArmY Surprlus stores.   They have swords they got at Trade Centers. They take boner pills they buy at gas stations.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I heard something similar, I think it was Rick Wilson's podcast where I heard it.

• Like 1

I'm hearing something about the Republicans not wanting to fund the repairs for the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Maryland? They voted against infrastructure repairs in their own districts but take credit for them. Who votes for these people?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/shameless-gop-congressman-takes-credit-for-1-billion-fund-he-voted-against/ar-BB1h7RTg

Edited by Sports_Freak

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I'm hearing something about the Republicans not wanting to fund the repairs for the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Maryland? They voted against infrastructure repairs in their own districts but take credit for them. Who votes for these people?

Shipping company doesn't have insurance?

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

Shipping company doesn't have insurance?

I know who does have insurance: The DoD.  This is now the highest priority of the Army Corp of Engineers.   The port has a very high national security priority.  I hope we see the first movement of ships out within a week.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I know who does have insurance: The DoD.  This is now the highest priority of the Army Corp of Engineers.   The port has a very high national security priority.  I hope we see the first movement of ships out within a week.

you'll have to excuse me for laughing a bit. On the Great Lakes, "highest priority" by the ACOE would mean about 8 yrs instead of 10.

More seriously, I wonder what method they decide on to start moving the wreckage. 

Republic party when Twitter wasn't owned by Musk:   BIAS!  ELECTION INTERFERENCE!

Republic party when Twitter is owned by Musk, who is explicitly anti-biden, endorses candidates, and RT'ing known white supremacists, etc:   CRICKETS

Goes to show the old adage, it's not tyranny when the republic party does it

Edited by pfife
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 7:31 AM, Motown Bombers said:

Kandiss Taylor ran for governor of Georgia. She's not satire. 

Well, if it’s not satire, then she’s inadvertently making a pretty good run at it. 

23 hours ago, oblong said:

How did you break away from it all? Did you read something that shook you and got you thinking? Did you just wake up out of a walking stupor? Did loved ones run an intervention for you? Enquiring minds wants to know!

Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2024 at 8:25 AM, pfife said:

I think it’s more insidious than that. I think much if not most of the conspiracy thinking is tied directly to evangelical Christianity. Of all the parts in the book, they embrace all the parts that has the magic in it most tightly, and now they think incredible, unbelievable things happen everywhere around them all the time. Of course, they don’t see the actual magic happening in front of their eyes, but they still believe the magic is behind everything they despise, so they hold up their hands and whisper to the skies hoping for countervailing magic to defeat it all. In the meantime, they are casting votes for and sending their living wages to anyone who makes a show of patronizing their magical thinking, hoping their efforts will hurt the people they most despise. It’s really very sad, but even worse, it’s quite dangerous, and the ironic part is, the people who get hurt most of all by it all is themselves.

Edited by chasfh