Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

Just now, GoBlue23 said:

it wasn't being presented as satire. 

the whole account is nothing but satire.   THe account has been getting posted here for a long time and everyone knows its satire.

Just now, GoBlue23 said:

that ruins the joke.  That account is very well known.  I subscribe to the Monty Python and Norm McDonald theory of humor.  Don't explain it.

• Like 1

I laugh every time I see the ones where it's parodying glen greenwalt and it always says ", who I do not support, " in the first sentence.   It's like Leslie Nielsen running into the trash cans.  Every time is funny to me.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

That's a bit of tribal knowledge for the site. Realize that some folks here have been posting together for 20yrs, so often a lot gets left unsaid. I've been here a while and there are still plenty of even more senior posters whose references I don't pick up!

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

That's a bit of tribal knowledge for the site. Realize that some folks here have been posting together for 20yrs, so often a lot gets left unsaid. I've been here a while and there are still plenty of even more senior poster whose references I don't pick up!

At least 20 years!

I'm 59.  I plan on working until 68 or 70 (I like what I do).      In the past the Republicans have talked about slashing or even ending Social Security, but you know and I know that's a 3rd Rail and they really wouldn't do it.     That was in the past.   This version of the Republican Party would absolutely do it if they had the chance.  Why?   Well, Own The Libs, of course.   They are not capable of thinking long term.     So I am worried that at some point between now and my death that they are going to get that chance, and keep in mind, this party is not reverting back to it's former pre-Trump standards anytime soon.   It's going to take a generation for that to happen.     

So what happens?   Do I get the money I put in back or do they just say "tough luck, you didn't get rich, that's your fault"

Would the "anti-Socialsm" people who collect welfare, disability, Medicare/Medicaid, would they THEN turn on the Republicans or will the hate of the collective "those people" be too strong to even save themselves? 

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I'm 59.  I plan on working until 68 or 70 (I like what I do).      In the past the Republicans have talked about slashing or even ending Social Security, but you know and I know that's a 3rd Rail and they really wouldn't do it.     That was in the past.   This version of the Republican Party would absolutely do it if they had the chance.  Why?   Well, Own The Libs, of course.   They are not capable of thinking long term.     So I am worried that at some point between now and my death that they are going to get that chance, and keep in mind, this party is not reverting back to it's former pre-Trump standards anytime soon.   It's going to take a generation for that to happen.     

So what happens?   Do I get the money I put in back or do they just say "tough luck, you didn't get rich, that's your fault"

Would the "anti-Socialsm" people who collect welfare, disability, Medicare/Medicaid, would they THEN turn on the Republicans or will the hate of the collective "those people" be too strong to even save themselves? 

What is happening is pretty clear: the people who control the mob right now are doing this so they don't have to raise their taxes to pay for your well-being aka social security.   The mob is excited to do whatever the AntiChrist wants them to do because they are certain that the other side are against their dear leader.

Edited by romad1

2 minutes ago, romad1 said:

What is happening is pretty clear, the people who control the mob right now are doing this so they don't have to raise their taxes to pay for your well-being aka social security.   The mob is excited to do whatever the AntiChrist wants them to do because they are certain that the other side are against their dear leader.

How soon before those purple roofed “Ethicsl Suicide Parlors”* start popping up next to Applebee’s (…. substituted because HoJo’s no longer exist)

*(I am guessing a few here will understand the reference.) 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Never let a crisis go to waste.... even those that clearly have nothing political to do with them.

Not only do they not let it go to waste, specifically the point the guest speaks to is the part that is vulnerable for them.  "hey listen, that's why the senate republicans need to stay strong as it needs 60 votes".  WTF, Senate republicans were not the problem, ridiculous that they get away with it.

32 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

At least 20 years!

Jeez, i'm old.  Apparently pretty bad at this debating thing too.  I've moved to the left in the last 20 years yet probably the 2nd most 'far right' guy on this board now.  I can't even move towards you folks politically without screwing that up!  lol

1 minute ago, ewsieg said:

Jeez, i'm old.  Apparently pretty bad at this debating thing too.  I've moved to the left in the last 20 years yet probably the 2nd most 'far right' guy on this board now.  I can't even move towards you folks politically without screwing that up!  lol

I wish there were more of us still around. When the last board crashed we lost a lot old timers.

19 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So what happens?   Do I get the money I put in back or do they just say "tough luck, you didn't get rich, that's your fault

You’re asking the same question that millions of Americans are asking, and rightfully so. 
Projections aren’t encouraging for the life and/or stability of the program. There are plenty of articles out there about the future of SS that do provide some credible guidance on the program. Google them.
The consensus is that if cuts are implemented, they will not be applied to people beyond a certain age. My impression through articles I’ve read is that you would likely not be affected. Nothing is in stone though. 
My son is 37 years of age. I do concern myself in his case.

Easier said than done I know, but avoid getting stressed out over all the bull**** purposely put out their by competing media sources trying to influence your perspective on this. 

54 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So what happens?   Do I get the money I put in back

HaHa - good luck on that. The truth is that current SS benefits are paid out of current year taxes and if the GOP cuts enough taxes it will result in benefits cuts to current and future beneficiaries. The 'trust fund' does not exist as real dollars anywhere you can get them back from. It's 'real' from the standpoint of the federal budget, but that only means it's an accounting entry that fundamentally tracks money the government owes itself. There is no account anywhere with that money sitting in it to give back to you.

Edited by gehringer_2

13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

There seems to be a very wide variation is the human phenotype wrt  opioid response. There are enough people who have documented their own ability to simply walk away from it that we can't deny that it is apparently true for some people. But there are probably larger numbers at the other end for whom addition is ultimately a death sentence because their physiological reaction is deep and irreversible.

And even if you can handle it, if you are obtaining it illegally, you face the danger of unwittingly acquiring a lethal dose of Fentanyl.  

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, 1776 said:

You’re asking the same question that millions of Americans are asking, and rightfully so. 
Projections aren’t encouraging for the life and/or stability of the program. There are plenty of articles out there about the future of SS that do provide some credible guidance on the program. Google them.
The consensus is that if cuts are implemented, they will not be applied to people beyond a certain age. My impression through articles I’ve read is that you would likely not be affected. Nothing is in stone though. 
My son is 37 years of age. I do concern myself in his case.

Easier said than done I know, but avoid getting stressed out over all the bull**** purposely put out their by competing media sources trying to influence your perspective on this. 

I am not expecting SS cuts for me, but I am also not counting on getting full SS. 

I still say it's a fabricated crisis easily and logically fixed by dropping the cap.   

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I am not expecting SS cuts for me, but I am also not counting on them. 

I still say it's a fabricated crisis easily and logically fixed by dropping the cap.   

Everything I've read is that this change alone would cover up to roughly 75% of the deficit alone.  Still, you're going to have to look at something else to shore it up with it.  If I was younger, I would have preferred an option to opt out of SS altogether where let's say SS tax remains but the government only gets the company paid portion and I get to keep the portion I would have paid but have to invest it.   Still think that would be a good option for younger generations.  Of course they'd probably pair up with some big investment firms and find a way to screw us with that anyway.  If only half my SS went to a private account since I was working though, i'd have a hell of a lot more than I'll ever get out of SS, assuming I still get any at all.

Additionally opting out, while provides more long term ability to solidify SS, requires even more cash up front to cover it.  

1 hour ago, smr-nj said:

How soon before those purple roofed “Ethicsl Suicide Parlors”* start popping up next to Applebee’s (…. substituted because HoJo’s no longer exist)

*(I am guessing a few here will understand the reference.) 🙂

Didn't he play for the Mets? 😁

• Like 1