Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

8 hours ago, buddha said:

when the republicans control the senate in a few months, how many liberals will be loving the filibuster and praising manchin and sinema for protecting minority rights against the republican authoritarians?

It won't be an issue because the GOP is going to reinstall it, haven't you heard their claims?

1 hour ago, buddha said:

i was told gorsuch, kavanaugh and acb were just shills who were beholden to trump and would rule for him every chance they got.  guess not, eh?

I posted something on th old site that an analysis suggested BK was the swing vote now. I’m not as close to this as you are. My impression is Gorsuch is a detached libertarian type that takes a clinical view. 

I dont think the three justices are always going to rule in trumps interest but I think they will always vote I. The conservative direction.   I for one and highly skeptical that it's from and objective analysis of the law and facts and every time it happens to be the republican outcome. 

And yes obviously it's the same on the other side too.   

51 minutes ago, oblong said:

Gorsuch is a detached libertarian type that takes a clinical view. 

From what I've read in the past, Gorsuch sometimes parts from the conservatives because he will work from property rights perspective. The idea of unjustified government 'takings' figures may in his thinking --like in McGirt v Oklahoma, which puts on a more anti-gov footing than the rest of the conservative block  - or least Thomas, for whom no government action ever seems to needs limitation.

As pure philosophy -  it's very, very....very old school

Very entertaining press conference yesterday.  Some of the best  moments were:

Biden says 2022 election will be illegitimate.  You can tell the dems expect to see big losses.

He said he brought up to China that the US wants answers on origins of covid.  Reporter then asked why his communication team didn't know anything about it and Biden said they weren't with him.  This is 100% lie and Biden should be called out for it.  He's still being protected by the liberal media.

Maybe the best one was when he said he did more than any other president in the first year.  That is laughable unless he's talking about what he is doing to destroy the country.  He is worst POTUS is my lifetime and possibly worst ever. I loved it when he was asked why half the country thinks he doesn't have the mental capacity to do his job and we get some incoherent babble.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, pfife said:

Surprised Rosen didn't hit him with a Lets Go Brandon too

I remember him as being a bit more of a human previously.  Now a lot of these former Conservative, now Trump authoritarian hack journalists seem like they are in two schools: 1. robotically going through the motions like Rosen to get a mackerel thrown at them if they perform the trick correctly and 2. gleeful shitstains like the kid of the Good Morning Foxville guy. 

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

It is "so called." Those words don't appear in the Constution. Free Exercise Clause and Establishment Clause.

Calling it "so called" isn't libertarian.  Unless you're a libertarian who likes theocracy-ish stuff which seems oxymoronic.

ETA:  I wasn't making a constitutional law argument.  I was responding to Oblong's characterization of Gorsuch as libertarian.

Edited by pfife

22 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I remember him as being a bit more of a human previously.  Now a lot of these former Conservative, now Trump authoritarian hack journalists seem like they are in two schools: 1. robotically going through the motions like Rosen to get a mackerel thrown at them if they perform the trick correctly and 2. gleeful shitstains like the kid of the Good Morning Foxville guy. 

I feel like he found the grievance gravy train when he was able to claim victimization from Bammer.

17 minutes ago, pfife said:

I feel like he found the grievance gravy train when he was able to claim victimization from Bammer.

Perhaps, but maybe the grievance gravy is not to be found on tier C cable channel when Rupert and Roger deem you to be too nutso to work for them. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Perhaps, but maybe the grievance gravy is not to be found on tier C cable channel when Rupert and Roger deem you to be too nutso to work for them. 

I don't know that world but if you can make enough of a name for yourself in it to the point where you can get a podcast going maybe the pay is good enough. 

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

I don't know that world but if you can make enough of a name for yourself in it to the point where you can get a podcast going maybe the pay is good enough. 

There are a lot of propagandists who are making a lot of coin from friendly billionaires.  I guess maybe this all pays.  There are a bunch of guys in this category of broken, fired from Fox for some transgressive behavior, hired by lower rung competitor.  They all look a lot shabbier when I see them.  

Random thought.... I wish we still had Larry Flynt around and he had a lot of money.  I bet he could dig up a lot of dirt on these folks and bring them down.  He could have stopped Falwell Jr before he endorsed Trump which went a very long way to giving him credibility in that world.  Without that he never wins the primary.

31 minutes ago, oblong said:

Random thought.... I wish we still had Larry Flynt around and he had a lot of money.  I bet he could dig up a lot of dirt on these folks and bring them down.  He could have stopped Falwell Jr before he endorsed Trump which went a very long way to giving him credibility in that world.  Without that he never wins the primary.

All fine except for the grim exploitation that goes along with all that.  Then again, it is the oldest profession and has and will always be among us.