Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

Some very fine people.

I'm wondering if the jail time and prison time these people are getting for 1/6 is doing little more than burnishing their cred with the red hats as they plan to take it all up another notch. There's not a half-bad chance they walk out heroes to welcoming arms.

4 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Should be pretty easy to do in Texas. 

I wonder when the term "fifth column" is going to become a common descriptor of these people, because that's how they look to me.

Russia or China couldn't have planned all this any better.

Starting to look like the killer was inside the house the whole time.

Yep. I am watching the crown on Netflix.  Last night it was the first episode of season 4 when Lord Mountbattten was a victim of the IRA.  I looked him up and saw he had similar accusations that Andrew faces with the addition of young boys too.  The kennedys were as close to royalty as we have had in our history.  

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Yep. I am watching the crown on Netflix.  Last night it was the first episode of season 4 when Lord Mountbattten was a victim of the IRA.  I looked him up and saw he had similar accusations that Andrew faces with the addition of young boys too.  The kennedys were as close to royalty as we have had in our history.  

Super good show man

3 hours ago, oblong said:

He's a completely forgotten figure now, but here in Hamilton those who were old enough to remember him always viewed Mountbatten with contempt, an incompetent upper class twit.  That's because of the Dieppe raid which was a complete fiasco and of the 900 Canadians who were killed about 170 were from the local Hamilton regiment.  

2 hours ago, pfife said:

Super good show man

I really like it. Started a few months ago.  I thought my wife and I could watch together but it’s a bit heavy for her. She thought it would be a little more tabloidish.   The production quality is top notch. 

I was thrown off after season 2 when they replaced the actors.  It made their final scene together much more memorable.  

I am a fan of Philip. 

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

He's a completely forgotten figure now, but here in Hamilton those who were old enough to remember him always viewed Mountbatten with contempt, an incompetent upper class twit.  That's because of the Dieppe raid which was a complete fiasco and of the 900 Canadians who were killed about 170 were from the local Hamilton regiment.  

when the queen dies, will canada put charles on their money?

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

he didn't exactly do the world a particularly good turn in India either IIRC.

Edited by gehringer_2

9 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

The Dieppe raid was prior to Stalingrad, the Torch landings, the large-scale arrival us US strategic bombers to the UK, and the battle of Guadalcanal.  I'm consider myself a very well-read person about WWII and didn't internalize any of that until I started watching the Youtube series World War II week by week.   1942 was the final year of muddling through for the Commonwealth.  

Part of the muddling through were Churchill's cigar stabs at the maps where he would ask for this or that "master stroke" which were possibly strategically smart but Commonwealth forces lacked the capabilities to actually make them work.  Dieppe did provide a lot of positive lessons.  One being that you needed port facilities and two that landing at a major port was likely too difficult.   Hence development of the mulberry harbors.  Another lesson was that the allies needed air superiority for the landings.   

Mountbatten was an upper class twit as portrayed in the infamous Monty Python sketches but not much could have helped Dieppe...in August 1942...when Germany still had an unbeaten army.  

Edited by romad1