Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

29 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I have no idea how you could read that from what I said.

My argument was that the media and the left wanted/hoped for a conspiracy/collusion/RICO/something that's illegal in regards to Trump and Russia.  So when the report came back with stating that was not found, it fell flat.  A symptom of overpromising. 

The initial focus of the investigation was not obstruction.  Obviously as the investigation went on, it became a major focus (because Trump obstructed) which as pfife points out, it was a large focus of the report.    I simply said it was not a focus.  Maybe it would be better to say it was not the original focus, which I think I was pointing out above, not that you just get to get away with something if you obstruct.   

A cop may clock you at 10mph over the speed limit.  He now has a reason to pull you over.  If you refuse to show legally required documentation when he comes to the door, now he has a different issue that requires more work to deal with.  It could escalate to the point that very little in the cops report mentions speeding.  Still, the initial focus was speeding, despite other issues possibly dominating the report.  

I always thought it was strange that the dems wanted to impeach Trump for something he was accused of but there was no solid proof.  On the other hand Biden is on record for doing the same thing and bragging about it but no impeachment.

Edited by Archie

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Read the never-issued Trump order that would have seized voting machines

This would have been an absolute shit-show....

Another reason, among many others, why we are being rated as a backsliding democracy. Even if the specific report I cited doesn't reference the Antrim County situation, it's certainly feels like another box checked on the backslide down the democratic scale.

8 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Read the never-issued Trump order that would have seized voting machines

This would have been an absolute shit-show....

(1) Effective immediately, the Secretary of Defense shall seize, collect, retain and analyze all
machines, equipment, electronically stored information, and material records required for
retention under United States Code Title 42, Sections 1974-1974(e), including but not limited to
those identified in footnote 1. The Secretary of Defense has discretion to determine the interdiction of
national critical infrastructure supporting federal elections. Designated locations
will be identified in the operation order.

From the memo.

Just insane.

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Another reason, among many others, why we are being rated as a backsliding democracy. Even if the specific report I cited doesn't reference the Antrim County situation, it's certainly feels like another box checked on the backslide down the democratic scale.

I mean, the memo about Antrim County was basically used as a pretext in this draft EO, which basically would have given discretion to his own Secretary of Defense to seize whatever machines they wanted.

The order would have faced a ton of legal challenges and who knows if it would have been allowed to be carried out (objectively, it very well may not have considering how the SCOTUS has handled questions relating to the election aftermath), but it is so painfully obvious what was going on. And yet we'll still hear from the usual suspects doing their Leslie Nielsen impression saying "NBD, y'all are hysterical, move on"

Edited by mtutiger

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I mean, the memo about Antrim County was basically used as a pretext in this draft EO, which basically would have given discretion to his own Secretary of Defense to seize whatever machines they wanted.

The order would have faced a ton of legal challenges and who knows if it would have been allowed to be carried out (objectively, it very well may not have considering how the SCOTUS has handled questions relating to the election aftermath), but it is so painfully obvious what was going on. And yet we'll still hear from the usual suspects doing their Leslie Nielsen impression saying "NBD, y'all are hysterical, move on"

I agree that legal challenges would have (probably) prevented the seizure of voting machines from happening in the manner proposed. But the mere fact that it was being proposed and the reasoning behind it are really, truly terrifying. Every day he remained in power after the 2020 election concluded it felt like another day we inched or jumped closer to being like Belarus or Hungary.

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I agree that legal challenges would have (probably) prevented the seizure of voting machines from happening in the manner proposed. But the mere fact that it was being proposed and the reasoning behind it are really, truly terrifying. Every day he remained in power after the 2020 election concluded it felt like another day we inched or jumped closer to being like Belarus or Hungary.

I tend to be on the more "glass half full" side of these debates, but don't get me wrong, I am definitely concerned about our trajectory after what happened in this last election.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

I tend to be on the more "glass half full" side of these debates, but don't get me wrong, I am definitely concerned about our trajectory after what happened in this last election.

I think the checks and balances of our constitution saved us in 2020.  I am very concerned with how many people seem totally OK with what happened though.  Many even think it was a good thing.

19 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think the checks and balances of our constitution saved us in 2020.  I am very concerned with how many people seem totally OK with what happened though.  Many even think it was a good thing.

We were saved by less than 25 people.

I recall these discussions at the time and being very worried that some no name election official appointed to some county or state board that nobody paid attention to could disrupt something we think is just a formality.

Yes Pence did the right thing at the time.... but what would have played out if he didn't?  What if he stood up there and rejected the ballots? Even if he didn't have the technical authority.  What would have been the process to carry on with the vote?   We can sit here and say "They can't do that" but like so many things with Trump he will still do that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archie said:

I always thought it was strange that the dems wanted to impeach Trump for something he was accused of but there was no solid proof.  On the other hand Biden is on record for doing the same thing and bragging about it but no impeachment.

no solid proof except for Trump administration literally releasing a memo admitting what they did but go off chief

10 minutes ago, pfife said:

Weird how these trumper arguments all require the reader not remembering what actually happened.  

Archie Bunker has only one viewpoint: "My side does nothing wrong (even if they blatantly and criminally actually do so) and your side is scum, no matter what." And he'll use a "Paint it Black" paintbrush (Rolling Stones reference so he won't get it) to paint over roses, justice, the truth, everything... with his black paintbrush of hatred.

He needs a mirror.

Does the memo that Politco obtained today occur before or after Bill Barr announced his resignation from the Justice Department? I am guessing Barr had no part in this and resigned over it in protest, which should trouble everyone that even Barr thought it was a step too far. I think Barr should be subpoenaed to testify before the Jan 6th Committee over this. 

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

2 hours ago, pfife said:

no solid proof except for Trump administration literally releasing a memo admitting what they did but go off chief

exactly.

Add in there is no legitimate comparison to Biden/Ukraine.  I know we sparred over Biden/Ukraine but even we both agreed nothing illegal happened there.  Biden was carrying out the orders of his POTUS (who was also working with a coalition of multiple nations).  

Edited by ewsieg

30 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Does the memo that Politco obtained today occur before or after Bill Barr announced his resignation from the Justice Department? I am guessing Barr had no part in this and resigned over it in protest, which should trouble everyone that even Barr thought it was a step too far. I think Barr should be subpoenaed to testify before the Jan 6th Committee over this. 

His departure was announced on December 14, effective December 23. 

The announcement lines up with the dating of the EO (although correlation =/= causation)

Edited by mtutiger

12 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

His departure was announced on December 14, effective December 23. 

The announcement lines up with the dating of the EO (although correlation =/= causation)

I would presume Barr knew about this memo being drafted then. I would at least want the committee to look into what Barr knew and when prior to and up to the day he resigned.