Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

Is this what it’s like any time a Republican member of Congress holds a town hall? As much as I despise Crenshaw, the hostility and batshit craziness of this crowd made this tough to answer. While I don’t agree with the amount of batshit crazy in Congress, watching this makes it not surprising as to why so many reps are going along with it. And why so many aren’t running for re-election. 

1 hour ago, pfife said:

holy shit that's embarrassing bitch shit.   

The left has itself to blame for promulgating the idea that speech in and of itself can be oppressive. Maybe they are even correct on some levels - it's not a trivial topic, but either way the right would not have thought it themselves.

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The left has itself to blame for promulgating the idea that speech in and of itself can be oppressive. Maybe they are even correct on some levels - it's not a trivial topic, but either way the right would not have thought it themselves.

dude I kinda feel like this should either be in blue font or sent as a submission to the NYTimes pitchbot.

I'll be honest I've never thought about it much but my gut reaction is to say the right was doing that anyways but I honestly don't know

52 minutes ago, pfife said:

dude I kinda feel like this should either be in blue font or sent as a submission to the NYTimes pitchbot.

I'll be honest I've never thought about it much but my gut reaction is to say the right was doing that anyways but I honestly don't know

the authoritarian side has always been happy to suppress speech as a political act, but the idea of suppressing speech as a therapeutic act seems to me (at least) to be a  marker of 21st century progressivism. The repudiation of the more classic Americanism of "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" comes to us from sectors that are on what I would call the authoritarian left. 

Now in this case we can probably safely say the suppression at heart is still for political reasons and the therapeutic claim is simply cynical cover.

But maybe in the broader sense that is the case on both sides. I suppose that it's probably true that even on the part of the progressive segments that have given us this therapeutic speech limitation paradigm that at a deeper level  it's just a re-emergence of same kind of leftest thought control authoritarianism expressed in Leninism or Maoism. 

And it goes back to the other related question I don't really have an answer for, which is the separate but almost converse problem of demonstrably false speech having powerful economic platforms exactly because it is comforting/therapeutic to those listening.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 2