5/31 7:10 Twins @ Tigers Game #2

Tigeraholic1

4 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

If it's precautionary I'm OK with that...

"Something didn't look right after that last pitch" sounds pretty scary to me.     I mean, come on man.   This just isn't fair anymore.  

You HAVE to ask what's going on with their training.   You just have to at this point.  Nobody's luck is this bad.  

13 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Calling B.S. on this,  why isn't every other team having such serious issues?   

Can you elaborate? I’m not sure were talking about the same thing. 

Edited by chasfh

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Can you elaborate? I’m not sure were talking about the same thing. 

He was deflecting by talking about players missing time in the pandemic year and missing time during the lockout and how it affected them.  I think that's B.S. because more teams would be having serious issues and they are not.  This seems to be a Tigers problem.      

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

He was deflecting by talking about players missing time in the pandemic year and missing time during the lockout and how it affected them.  I think that's B.S. because more teams would be having serious issues and they are not.  This seems to be a Tigers problem.      

Cub fans say hi.

9 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:
Spencer Turnbull
Kyle Funkhouser
Jose Cisnero
Casey Mize
Tyler Alexander
Matt Manning
Michael Pineda
Eduardo Rodriguez
Will Vest
Joey Wentz

That's almost a full MLB pitching staff of guys injured all at the same time.  

Vest is active again

And Spencer Turnbull was last year.

And Wentz just got a tight neck muscle. I usually get a migraine (or a "tension" headache is probably more correct...) with something similar. It goes away with two aspirin and a good night's sleep...

Edited by 1984Echoes

25 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

And Spencer Turnbull was last year.

And Wentz just got a tight neck muscle. I usually get a migraine (or a "tension" headache is probably more correct...) with something similar. It goes away with two aspirin and a good night's sleep...

There are exercises that work pretty well if you are prone to kinking your neck - maybe they will work for Wentz. Have to say I was not looking forward to his start, his last one wasn't much of course but his May starts in Toledo didn't look particularly exciting either, but he showed some plus pitches tonight.

8 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:
Spencer Turnbull
Kyle Funkhouser
Jose Cisnero
Casey Mize
Tyler Alexander
Matt Manning
Michael Pineda
Eduardo Rodriguez
Will Vest
Joey Wentz

That's almost a full MLB pitching staff of guys injured all at the same time.  

Mostly young pitchers.  Young pitchers probably need Spring training more than older pitchers who already know how to get themselves ready for a full season.  Not only did they play fewer games, but they couldn't have any contact with the team (including the training staff) from the beginning of the lockout through the middle of March.  So, it's hard to blame the training staff when they were not even in contact with them all winter.  

28 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Mostly young pitchers.  Young pitchers probably need Spring training more than older pitchers who already know how to get themselves ready for a full season.  Not only did they play fewer games, but they couldn't have any contact with the team (including the training staff) from the beginning of the lockout through the middle of March.  So, it's hard to blame the training staff when they were not even in contact with them all winter.  

I guess I thought most players go through more year round training whereas when some of us had dinosaurs as pets, spring training was for players to get into shape.  But I hadn't thought about the lack of contact between players and personal trainers with their MLB teams and training staffs.

That said, we're now about two months into the regular season.  Shouldn't the kinetics be caught up by now for guys that have been going since spring training?

Maybe I'm just looking at this from too much of a macro point of view.  You dig into a detail like Pineda's injury being kind of flukish (although he has had his health struggles), and there's not really anything that is an effect from the offseason or spring training.

I don't know, its all just very frustrating.  But lots of kudos to Fetter & company for making chicken salad out of all of this.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I guess I thought most players go through more year round training whereas when some of us had dinosaurs as pets, spring training was for players to get into shape.  But I hadn't thought about the lack of contact between players and personal trainers with their MLB teams and training staffs.

That said, we're now about two months into the regular season.  Shouldn't the kinetics be caught up by now for guys that have been going since spring training?

Maybe I'm just looking at this from too much of a macro point of view.  You dig into a detail like Pineda's injury being kind of flukish (although he has had his health struggles), and there's not really anything that is an effect from the offseason or spring training.

I don't know, its all just very frustrating.  But lots of kudos to Fetter & company for making chicken salad out of all of this.

Not knowing enough of the details to do more than engage in baseless speculation, I would say Mize and Alexander are not as likely training related - messed up elbows/UCLs are just endemic. Pineda obviously 100 accident. OTOH, Manning, Rodriguez, Wentz, being more muscle based problems might possibly relate to unbalanced training leading up to the season. 

2 hours ago, casimir said:

It's amazing the the Tigers pitching has actually kept them in most games and it's our hitting that has cost us. 12 starting pitchers used? That's our entire rotation and Toledos rotation. With a couple more thrown in for good luck...