2022 NCAA Football Thread

2 minutes ago, romad1 said:

that is an interesting mix.  I guess I'd think Cinnci gives him the fastest route to success.  

Cincinnati would probably be the best stocked program to find sustainable success.  But I would think South Florida would give him ample access to more athletes and enough of a blank slate for him to put his imprint upon.  In five years, if he has success, he can rightfully say, "see, I built this", whereas Cincinnati is kind of coming off of its historical zenith.

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I don’t think they would do that.  The purpose of the committee is to rank the teams based on their merit.  They won’t go against that just for potential tv ratings.  

The merits may not change, but the emphasis of what merits matter seem to change at times.

The lack of a rigid objective check off list allows them to do whatever they want to for whatever reason they want to.

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

The merits may not change, but the emphasis of what merits matter seem to change at times.

The lack of a rigid objective check off list allows them to do whatever they want to for whatever reason they want to.

Sure, in theory they could do whatever they want in a subjective system.  What they really want is to rank the best 4 teams in the playoff based on merit.   Any other suggestion on the committee motivation is cf fan tin foil hat stuff.  

Remember, these aren’t TV execs or corporate heads on the committee.  These are AD’s of the schools that all hope to be vying for these spots.  They don’t want to create a rigged system that could potentially come back to bite their own school later.  

18 minutes ago, casimir said:

Cincinnati would probably be the best stocked program to find sustainable success.  But I would think South Florida would give him ample access to more athletes and enough of a blank slate for him to put his imprint upon.  In five years, if he has success, he can rightfully say, "see, I built this", whereas Cincinnati is kind of coming off of its historical zenith.

Agree.  USF is the place that I can see him killing in recruiting.  Miami and FSU are still in the process of rebuilding, he’d own Florida recruiting.   Wherever he goes, he’s bringing his son along as QB and he’s a legit player.  

Edited by Hongbit

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

This isn’t what happened last year.  Bama crushed the strong #1 Georgia and put up 41 on their vaunted defense. The committee then saw Bama as the legit #1 team.  That was their reason.   They don’t care about rematches.  They got the Bama/Georgia rematch the very next week anyway.  CF fans will always have their conspiracy theories but that was a football decision.  

I can definitely recall a general consensus here that Michigan was deserving of the #1 seed, but that the CFPC wouldn't want an immediate rematch. It may have been through maize colored goggles though. Obviously in hindsight Michigan was not the #1 team in the nation.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

WTF! Mazi Smith cares more about carrying a gun than his football career.

This delay is interesting, but we only need to look back a few years to our former rapist Kicker to see a precedent here.    Sick of this shit.     Sitting on a lottery ticket and still have to live this kind of life where there are two possible outcomes - death or jail.    He is from Kentwood (near Grand Rapids).   What kind of place is Kentwood, one where you need a gun to survive?  So stupid.   

I’d like to see the police report, or at least gain more details of what happened, before there is a rush to judgment.

Comparing this to the tunnel incident is apples and oranges, at least right now. There were immediately cameras galore for that posted wall to wall nationally. All we have right now for this is a charge. Charges are contestable in court.

I want to know what happened.

21 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Mazi Smith facing felony gun possession chargers.  Seems like this got covered up for nearly two months because it happened October 7th.       This happened in Ann Arbor.     I don't know why you'd need a concealed gun in Ann Arbor as a college student.   

I think if there was actually a coverup, it would have been extended another six weeks.

As impatient as I was at times with the tunnel incident (not to go back on my earlier criticism of the comparison), most police departments take quite a bit of time to investigate (especially when there is not an initial arrest), and most prosecutors offices take quite a bit of time to file charges. I have seen cases sit in a prosecutors office for 8 or more months before someone sees it sitting on a desk, reads the case, and files charges. It’s not right but it’s the state of the criminal justice system. Two months is really not that bad for a typical investigation.

16 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think if there was actually a coverup, it would have been extended another six weeks.

As impatient as I was at times with the tunnel incident (not to go back on my earlier criticism of the comparison), most police departments take quite a bit of time to investigate (especially when there is not an initial arrest), and most prosecutors offices take quite a bit of time to file charges. I have seen cases sit in a prosecutors office for 8 or more months before someone sees it sitting on a desk, reads the case, and files charges. It’s not right but it’s the state of the criminal justice system. Two months is really not that bad for a typical investigation.

Or they could just not charge anyone at all like Dr. Anderson or Brendan Gibbons.  

14 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

forgetting for a minute that this is a football player and a high profile team, if this is a procedural carry or licensing violation you'd might be hard pressed to find a Michigan jury if you went to trial where some of the members hadn't done the same thing at least once.....

The Academic community and the city of A^2 and probably the whole NCAA is mostly firmly planted in the anti-gun left, but out there in the rest of the world and even much of the wider Washtenaw county, the 2A rules. And of course we know Harbaugh's politics.

• Like 1

I sense a motownforums.com cover up for this story being posted in the NCAA and not in the Michigan football thread.  Tremendously convenient to try and hide it here and away from all of the tunnel debate.   A very Washtenaw County prosecutors office move.   I see what’s going on here.  🤐😶😜

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I’d like to see the police report, or at least gain more details of what happened, before there is a rush to judgment.

Comparing this to the tunnel incident is apples and oranges, at least right now. There were immediately cameras galore for that posted wall to wall nationally. All we have right now for this is a charge. Charges are contestable in court.

I want to know what happened.

A^2 news reports it stemmed from a traffic stop. Is there going to be a DWB overlay to this?

Just now, Deleterious said:

Do we know it was a gun?

The concealed carry law also covers knives.

I mean it was probably a gun. But I guess we should wait and see.

Jeez, I left a sharpened hatchet under the seat (thus concealed) of my car for years because that was the only way I remembered to take it camping.....