2022 NCAA Football Thread

This is what the PAC 12 has done ever since the CFP became a thing.

Teams by conference to make the CFP (counting the presumed four this year):

SEC: 11 (Alabama x7, Georgia x3, LSU)

B1G: 8 (Ohio State x5, Michigan State, Michigan x2)

ACC: 7 (Clemson x6, Florida State)

Big 12: 5 (Oklahoma x4, TCU)

Other: 3 (Notre Dame x2, Cincinnati)

PAC 12: 2 (Oregon, Washington)

13 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

There has never been a rematch in a CFP Semifinal game. If there has to be a rematch, I'd much prefer it for the championship.

Even a close TCU loss (to a top ten team on a neutral field in a 13th game) might keep them above OSU (and their loss by 22 to the #2 team at home).

The only real semi-final rematch risk I see is LSU beats Georgia, Michigan beats Purdue, TCU beats KSU. That makes it pretty hard to avoid 1. Michigan 2/3. Georgia/TCU 4. Ohio State. 

7 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Pac 12 no longer has divisions,  I wouldn't be shocked if they just dropped their championship game next year.  By 2024 the 12 team playoff will be here so it won't matter. 

And lose the revenue from the championship game?

7 hours ago, lordstanley said:

After being down 17-3, Utah has outscored USC 44-7. 

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Jeesh - Utah outscored USC 44-7 from a point early in the 2nd Qtr.

This should be a reminder about the variability from game to game in college sports and a reason why to actually play the games out on the field rather than make assumptions based on reputation and/or past results.

On 12/1/2022 at 5:25 PM, Hongbit said:

Weird situation tomorrow for USC.  Win and they are in the playoff with a chance to make the natty.   Lose and they drop all the way down to the Alamo bowl most likely against Texas.    Talk about a shitty consolation prize.  

Looks like USC could have a lifeline to the Cotton, per Jerry Palm.

image.png.b2a04b442e4a954c88b3927649bfbf8d.png

1 hour ago, casimir said:

This should be a reminder about the variability from game to game in college sports and a reason why to actually play the games out on the field rather than make assumptions based on reputation and/or past results.

Very true.   Caleb’s hamstring Injury played a big role in this one.  All of his mobility went away as did the read option game that the offense is built around.   The defense had been exposed as trash all year and it became a rout once it was obvious Caleb was a shell of himself from the 2nd quarter on.     

Disappointing to be so close and have it end that way but they were 4-8 last year.  It took Lincoln Riley one year to turn it around and they are primed to have a playoff team next year.  Caleb and many offensive weapons return and  I suspect they will clean up in the portal again this off-season especially on the much needed defensive side.  

9 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Cotton Bowl against Tulane is horrible.   You lose and OMG you lost to a random G5 team.  Win and who cares, it’s Tulane, why didn’t you win by more.   

Well, the same could be said about out of conference scheduling, but that isn't something some folks want to discuss.

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Told you they were soft.    They crumbled last night...............Folded easier than an empty wallet.     Riley doesn't win the big games.  Look how many immediate playoff exits he has.  He can get you there, usually, but that's it. 

They were soft of defense.  That was never a surprise to anyone.   The offense is a machine and that was on display before Caleb got hurt.   I think he ran the ball twice very gingerly after the injury.   They folded when it became apparent that Clark Kent couldn’t change into Superman.   

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

They were soft of defense.  That was never a surprise to anyone.   The offense is a machine and that was on display before Caleb got hurt.   I think he ran the ball twice very gingerly after the injury.   They folded when it became apparent that Clark Kent couldn’t change into Superman.   

Stop using reason to kill the shock jock radio hot take.

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

this is very depressing.  

ohio state was dead and now they have a new lease on life.  i would not want to face them again.  root for georgia and tcu.

I think the end of times would be an UoM vs OSU rematch in the championship game.  I also think TV stations in the SEC area would elect to broadcast Hee Haw marathons rather than pick up the live feed of the game.

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

this is very depressing.  

ohio state was dead and now they have a new lease on life.  i would not want to face them again.  root for georgia and tcu.

What’s the injury status of JSN and Henderson?  They’ve never really had the entire offense fully healthy all year.  If they can get those guys back at close to 100% then it’s a different team.  

JSN is arguably the best player in the country and he hasn’t been right since getting hurt week 1.

Edited by Hongbit

9 minutes ago, casimir said:

I think the end of times would be an UoM vs OSU rematch in the championship game.  I also think TV stations in the SEC area would elect to broadcast Hee Haw marathons rather than pick up the live feed of the game.

Fantastic take.   I'm stealing this.  

TCU is in, no matter what happens today (okay, if K-State beats them 48-10 maybe not).    There has yet to be a 2-loss team in the playoff and the committee will keep it that way, plus there is a lot of TV viewers in Texas. 

So I think the playoffs are clinched now, no matter what happens today.   Georgia, Michigan, TCU and Ohio State and it will either be....

1 - Georgia

2 - Michigan

3 - TCU

4 - Ohio State

or 

1 - Michigan (if Georgia struggles and Mich wins big)

2 - Georgia

3 - Ohio State

4 - TCU

I wish the Group of 5 had their own playoff system.  8 teams.   It is really unfair that they don't get to play for any real national title.    They could name them bowl games

31 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

What’s the injury status of JSN and Henderson?  They’ve never really had the entire offense fully healthy all year.  If they can get those guys back at close to 100% then it’s a different team.  

JSN is arguably the best player in the country and he hasn’t been right since getting hurt week 1.

At this point, does Smith-Njigba risk his draft stock with further injury?  Honestly, I don't know what his draft stock would be right now, so maybe he needs another season of play.

Henderson/Williams had the potential to be a dynamic duo, but they couldn't stay on the field long enough.  Looking at the stats, I am shocked that Henderson was dressed for 10 games and Williams was dressed for 8 games.  It seems like they alternated availability to the point where it was every other game.  It was probably only that one or the other was pulled from the game by halftime due to injury.

• Thanks 1