2022 NCAA Football Thread

I think even the defender wasn't sure if he should pick it up or not, it looked like he was looking at the sideline to see if it was ok before grabbing it. The only downside of a player picking it up in that situation would be if an LSU player clobbered him right when he grabbed it forcing him to not pick it clean then they would've gotten the ball back otherwise there was no risk in grabbing it. 

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

LSU is dumb, dumb, dumb...

10 point swing on one play.  That Georgia kid was so wise to keep his knees off of the ground as he looked at the sidelines.  He probably should have just scooped it and ran, but at least he didn’t head off elsewhere for a celebration.

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think even the defender wasn't sure if he should pick it up or not, it looked like he was looking at the sideline to see if it was ok before grabbing it. The only downside of a player picking it up in that situation would be if an LSU player clobbered him right when he grabbed it forcing him to not pick it clean then they would've gotten the ball back otherwise there was no risk in grabbing it. 

One team had at least one player prepared for that situation.  The other did not.

Ok, so the current system isn’t perfect, and even the bump to 12 playoff teams won’t be perfect.  But isn’t it better than when only 2 teams advanced to a championship game and an undefeated Auburn was left out of it?  Heck, even before that when there was no system to automatically match up a 1 vs 2 in an end of season bowl game, that kind of seems like ancient history anymore.

34 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I also maintain that I don't understand how the 3rd and Goal play was not overturned.

image.thumb.png.14e2e772ae908dcc940dd76a361c23a0.png

1. Where are his knees?

2. This is exactly when he looses possession to the ball being kicked by his teammate.

Can you say both of these are 100% a TD?

I could be wrong, but I really don't see a scenario where Michigan and Ohio State rematch in the semifinal game. In eight years, there has never been a semifinal rematch. There has never been a two-loss playoff team. I don't think either of those will change if they can help it.

It's also worth noting that Warde Manual is on the CFP Committee, and while he is "recused" from ranking Michigan, he's not recused from ranking Ohio State or TCU... I think he will pound the table to avoid an immediate rematch. The Kansas State AD is also on the committee, and while "recused" from ranking Kansas State, he probably won't have an issue joining that side of the argument for TCU to stay at #3.

1 minute ago, sagnam said:

1. Where are his knees?

2. This is exactly when he looses possession to the ball being kicked by his teammate.

Can you say both of these are 100% a TD?

This is just one of the angles. Another showed he was lying on top of a pile as he extended the ball. It's plausible that if they match up those camera angles to tell when the ball comes out that it would stand as called... I thought he was definitely in though.

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

This is just one of the angles. Another showed he was lying on top of a pile as he extended the ball. It's plausible that if they match up those camera angles to tell when the ball comes out that it would stand as called... I thought he was definitely in though.

3.  Where is his left arm?

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I could be wrong, but I really don't see a scenario where Michigan and Ohio State rematch in the semifinal game. In eight years, there has never been a semifinal rematch. There has never been a two-loss playoff team. I don't think either of those will change if they can help it.

It's also worth noting that Warde Manual is on the CFP Committee, and while he is "recused" from ranking Michigan, he's not recused from ranking Ohio State or TCU... I think he will pound the table to avoid an immediate rematch. The Kansas State AD is also on the committee, and while "recused" from ranking Kansas State, he probably won't have an issue joining that side of the argument for TCU to stay at #3.

Can TCU really lose and not drop a spot?   Not sure that makes sense.   Ohio will have the same number of losses, the better top win (PSU), and a better or at least similar loss.   

Also not sure why Warde Manuel would have any issues with a semi final rematch.   He should see it as another easy win.  

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Can TCU really lose and not drop a spot?   Not sure that makes sense.   Ohio will have the same number of losses, the better top win (PSU), and a better or at least similar loss.   

Also not sure why Warde Manuel would have any issues with a semi final rematch.   He should see it as another easy win.  

I guess I would counter and ask if Ohio State can really sit at home uninvited and rise two spots. TCU will have more wins, a better SOS, a better SOR, and played 13 games.

If M was to rematch OSU, I feel like they'd prefer to have a buffer game to see if they change anything coming out of the Michigan loss. I also think Ohio State is a better team than TCU and Michigan should prefer to play TCU.

I don't know if TCU is better than OSU or Bama but I think some folks atleast on Twitter are underrating them and to me I think it's because their relative lack of history and not being a traditional powerhouse school. Like if this was Oklahoma or even Texas and they had the exact same resume and results as TCU has this year would people be doubting them at all? I personally don't think so.

I've seen some takes where people say whomever faces the in the playoff basically gets the bye while the other team has to face a grueling OSU game. Like where is the actual evidence of that?

6 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I guess I would counter and ask if Ohio State can really sit at home uninvited and rise two spots. TCU will have more wins, a better SOS, a better SOR, and played 13 games.

If M was to rematch OSU, I feel like they'd prefer to have a buffer game to see if they change anything coming out of the Michigan loss. I also think Ohio State is a better team than TCU and Michigan should prefer to play TCU.

Wins and Losses are still the top determiners.  Undefeated TCU was being evaluated on a different tier than OSU because of it.   Now they lost, TCU’s full body of work has to be compared to the Bucks, who now have an opportunity to pass them even though they sat at home this weekend.