2022 NCAA Football Thread

44 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Wins and Losses are still the top determiners.  Undefeated TCU was being evaluated on a different tier than OSU because of it.   Now they lost, TCU’s full body of work has to be compared to the Bucks, who now have an opportunity to pass them even though they sat at home this weekend.  

I think they could pass them, I just don't think they should.

If I was going to argue an extreme, I would say that USC should stay because they played last night and Ohio State didn't. Or that Clemson or Kansas State should go, because they're playing and Ohio State isn't. I'm not going that far because I think that's dumb. USC had their chance - so did Clemson and Kansas State.

I do think it's a fair take though that TCU's overall body of work is worthy of the #3 seed. I also think it's fair to say that if you're going to make the playoff as the one team that didn't win your division and didn't have to play a 13th game, you should play the #1 seed in the semifinal and prove your worth.

20 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think they could pass them, I just don't think they should.

If I was going to argue an extreme, I would say that USC should stay because they played last night and Ohio State didn't. Or that Clemson or Kansas State should go, because they're playing and Ohio State isn't. I'm not going that far because I think that's dumb. USC had their chance - so did Clemson and Kansas State.

I do think it's a fair take though that TCU's overall body of work is worthy of the #3 seed. I also think it's fair to say that if you're going to make the playoff as the one team that didn't win your division and didn't have to play a 13th game, you should play the #1 seed in the semifinal and prove your worth.

im all about arguing usc over osu.  usc had to play a top ten team twice (once on the road) and play an extra game.  they beat notre dame more thoroughly than osu did.  osu got spanked at home.

osu doesnt deserve it.  

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

im all about arguing usc over osu.  usc had to play a top ten team twice (once on the road) and play an extra game.  they beat notre dame more thoroughly than osu did.  osu got spanked at home.

osu doesnt deserve it.  

USC was still in it with a loss, and Caleb Williams’ injury would have helped with that. But not when defense gives up 47 points to a 3-loss team they had already lost to.  Harder to argue a healthy Caleb would have been worth a missing 24 points. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, lordstanley said:

USC was still in it with a loss, and Caleb Williams’ injury would have helped with that. But not when defense gives up 47 points to a 3-loss team they had already lost to.  Harder to argue a healthy Caleb would have been worth a missing 24 points. 

The interesting case would be what if they kept the lead in Salt Lake City and then lost this PAC12 championship game in a similar manner?  Then we're talking about USC in 2nd/3rd heading into this weekend, but solidly remain top 4 in spite of the loss because of the additional game argument with the Williams' injury tacked on.  Who knows, maybe they still stay top 4 because of those reasons? 

Essentially we're talking the difference of 1 minute of play in 780 minutes in the season for USC.  Think about that, their bowl assignment is possibly swung by 0.128% of their season.

What MY would the 12-team playoff look like.................you'd have to win a conference championship to be one of the 4 in bye week because the conference championship should mean something.  The conference that did not get in the top 4 would automatically get #5 and a home game (they earned it)     After that they'd be seeded according to ranking with two factors........Conference teams don't play each other the first round and one Group of 5 Team gets in

Bye week

Georgia   SEC Champ
Michigan - B10 Champ
Clemson - ACC Champ
Kansas State - Big 12 Champ

5 - Utah vs. Tulane
6 - TCU vs. 11 USC
7 - Ohio State vs. 10 Tennessee
8 - Alabama  vs.  9 - Penn State

The fans of Washington, Florida State and Oregon State would be very upset.  

11 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Paul Finebaum's prediction

1 - Georgia

2 - Alabama

3 - LSU

4 - Tennessee

Any ranking with Alabama in the top 4 cannot be taken seriously.

On 11/29/2022 at 8:19 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

My own RIGHT NOW Top 10 would be

1 - Michigan

2 - Georgia

3 - TCU

4 - Alabama

5 - USC

6 - Ohio St. 

7 - Kansas State

8 - South Carolina  (We're talking RIGHT NOW

9 - Tennessee

10 - LSU

What would a 12-team playoff look like with 5 Automatic Bids and 1 reserved for the Group of 5

ACC - Clemson

Big Ten - Michigan

Big 12 - TCU

Pac 12 - USC

SEC - Georgia

Group of 5 - Tulane

At large would be  Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, Ohio State, Kansas State and Penn State?  

Group of 5 should have their own playoff.  8 team-playoff, but I guess they make more money gong to bowl games vs. Power 5 teams.  

3 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I think they bump OSU to #3 for the highest rated playoff game ever.

I don't think so.  It'll be Georgia at 1 and Michigan at 2.  I think we can all agree on that happening.

I believe TCU will be at 3 as they lost their only game, the 13th game, a championship game, in OT.  TCU also beat Kansas State earlier in the season.  So, they did beat everybody in their conference and on their schedule.  Ohio State's loss is to a better opponent than TCU's loss was to, but that loss was at home and the game was in hand before any OT was needed.  Perhaps one of OSU's wins is better, but the loss stands out.

I'm not convinced who will be at 4.

7 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Alabama 2 loses on the road by a total of 4 points.   Ohio State,  ass handed to them at home by Michigan.    Bama would dismantle OSU.  

Sure, just like they were going to dismantle Texas, Texas A&M, Tennessee, LSU, Ole Miss, and Austin Peay.

People keep talking about how "good" Bama's losses were but why don't we talk about any of their big wins? That's right cause there aren't any. Their best win was against a Texas team who dominated them the whole game despite their starting QB going out in the 1st quarter. Atleast Ohio State has a convincing win at Penn St.

20 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I would put Alabama as a favorite against any of these teams not named Georgia 

Betting favorite or on field favorite?  I absolutely agree with you on the former, but I don't think that should be a part of the criteria.  I know St. Nick called that out yesterday as a feather in Alabama's cap, but that shouldn't necessarily be a bullet point in their favor.

How many games were Michigan and TCU the betting favorites or underdogs?  Are those discussion points?  Nobody is bringing up betting lines to assign seeds to Michigan or Georgia, are they?

31 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I would put Alabama as a favorite against any of these teams not named Georgia 

If Bama lost 5 games people would probably still have them as a favorite just cause their history and talent but if that's all that matters then just have them skip the regular season and put them in the playoff every year. 

We are going to find out if the committee views these championship games as bonus games.  I don’t think they do but we will see later.   If you lace them up and play, they count the same.  

I think they should actually count more since this is the most recent sample and shows how a team is playing right now.   The goal of the CFP should be to find the careful balance between the top 4 teams right now while not ignoring the full season of work.   

OSU has quality wins.  TCU has quality wins.   Bama does not.

OSU and TCU only have one loss and both to top 10 teams.   Bama has 2.   

1) Georgia

2) Michigan 

3) Ohio St.

4) TCU

I hope the CFP would gravitate towards setting up a rematch in the semi.  People  will want to see it.  The hype will be insane especially if Ohio can return their inured guys.  Michigan fans should welcome it.

Edited by Hongbit

10 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

We are going to find out if the committee views these championship games as bonus games.  I don’t think they do but we will see later.   If you lace them up and play, they count the same.  

I think they should actually more since this is the most recent sample and shows how a team is playing right now.   The goal of the CFP should be to find the careful balance between the top 4 teams right now while not ignoring the full season of work.   

OSU has quality wins.  TCU has quality wins.   Bama does not.

OSU and TCU only have one loss and both to top 10 teams.   Bama has 2.   

1) Georgia

2) Michigan 

3) Ohio St.

4) TCU

I hope the CFP would gravitate towards setting up a rematch in the semi.  People  will want to see it.  The hype will be insane especially if Ohio can return their inured guys.  

I'm torn about TCU and OSU, on one hand I feel like TCU has the better resume having 5 top 20 wins and making their championship game unlike OSU but on the other hand IF a healthy OSU team is a tougher matchup come playoff time then Georgia being the 1 seed deserves the right to play the easier opponent. 

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm torn about TCU and OSU, on one hand I feel like TCU has the better resume having 5 top 20 wins and making their championship game unlike OSU but on the other hand IF a healthy OSU team is a tougher matchup come playoff time then Georgia being the 1 seed deserves the right to play the easier opponent. 

If the resume didn't have the name of the resume holder attached to it, I think it'd be easier to believe the resume.  I think the perception and bias creeps in a bit too much.

The 12 team playoff is a step in the right direction.  Bring back a BcS type of formula to enhance it.