2022 NCAA Football Thread

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

I wouldn't hire someone with this profile.  I don't think the resume makes it to my desk because he won't be in my organization more than a year and who wants to train him just to see him leave.   Now in some industries its normal for that sort of behavior, not in mine though.

That profile wouldn't be for everyone, but someone might be interested.  I guess from my perspective, that kind of profile does limit someone's transfer options with each successive transfer.

On 12/4/2022 at 11:04 PM, buddha said:

"coach prime" goes to colorado, meets with the team, and immediately tells them all he supports them and looks forward to making them better and helping them graduate and improve as men.

ha, just kidding.  he told them all to hit the transfer portal.

good job walking into that shit show, colorado.  

I don't understand this. Neon Deion could have waited one more season and gotten himself to a premier program, not one that hasn't been relevant since a hail mary pass in 1994. Where is the recruiting base for Colorado? Texas/Southeast? California? He's probably not out competing the likes of Texas, A&M, TCU, USC, Oregon in those area. Had he waited he could have gotten himself into a better situation I think.

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I don't understand this. Neon Deion could have waited one more season and gotten himself to a premier program, not one that hasn't been relevant since a hail mary pass in 1994. Where is the recruiting base for Colorado? Texas/Southeast? California? He's probably not out competing the likes of Texas, A&M, TCU, USC, Oregon in those area. Had he waited he could have gotten himself into a better situation I think.

You don’t have Superman complex like Deion.  He believes that he can do anything.  He doesn’t need or want a big program with a name right now.  It’s better for his brand to take arguably the worst P5 program and turn it around.   Then he can ask for a Mel Tucker deal from a power program.  He really thought that he could turn Jackson State into a program capable of beating the highest level teams in D1.  He was surprised by lack of resources and paying for things with his own money or else he’d probably still be at JSU

Would a bigger program ever give him a shot?

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/heres-audio-of-deion-sanders-admitting-that-he-choked-prime-preps-coo-7121985

Allen didn't report the assault and Sanders never addressed it. But in a later conversation with co-founder D.L. Wallace, Sanders recounted a fight with the school's COO and admitted to putting his hands on the employee's throat.

Your right hand man, your COO, gonna get out of pocket with me. You're going to stand there, and I politely asked you, you ain't gonna check this nigga? And that's how we went at it. Before I know it, my hands were around that nigga's throat.

I don't even get down like that DL, but when I'm pushed ... you're gonna see the nigga that was on the field, and you got a chance to meet that nigga that was on the field, that's who he is right there, that's what made me who I am, this nigga, right now that I can click on.

That isn't even the worst of it at Prime Academy.  Accusations of fraud and embezzlement.  Hundreds of kids that couldn't go to college because Deion never got the school accredited.  He just went poof and disappeared leaving those kids in a huge bind.  The guy is a con man.

Mississippi State University Head Football Coach Mike Leach had a personal health issue at his home earlier today (Sunday, Dec. 11, 2022). That issue led to a decision to transfer Coach Leach to the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson by ambulance. That is the extent of information that MSU has available regarding Coach Leach's condition, and the university will make no other comment at this time other than to say that the thoughts and prayers of the university are with Mike and Sharon and their family.

MSU President Mark E. Keenum and Interim MSU Athletics Director Bracky Brett have conferred, and the decision has been made to place MSU Defensive Coordinator Zach Arnett in charge of the MSU football team until Coach Leach returns. Practice for the ReliaQuest Bowl game and recruiting operations will continue.

MSU will issue additional information via social media when it becomes available.

Someone posted this from the 247 paysite.

I wish I had better news, but I’m told UMMC has transitioned into comfort care measures for Coach Mike Leach. It’s essentially hospice care at this point.

I’m told he’s been largely if not totally nonresponsive since the cardiac event yesterday morning.

It appears to simply be a matter of time now. It all seems so unfair. Life is fleeting. Tell those you love who much you love them. Forgive, forgive, forgive.

We will not be working to break the final story. We will respect the family’s timing on all of that. Yes, we have a story ready to roll, but we will now await the official and unfortunate word from the University.

I can’t believe we’re even having these discussions. It’s so surreal. He isn’t just our football coach. He’s Mike Leach, a national treasure. I’m honored to say he was our coach for three seasons. It’s also nice to remember that he’s going out a winner.

Please remember his family, our coaches and players in your thoughts and prayers.

I love you all and Hail State!"

• Sad 1

I think this is a lousy hire for Purdue. As Hong said, who the hell did Illinois play and look good against besides Michigan? This seems like the type of hire that gets you to a string of 5-7 seasons and then he gets fired midway through year 4 or 5.

Would Bill O'Brien have been a good hire for Purdue? He's got Big Ten coaching and recruiting experience and success. He understands the midwest and is back in college football now with Alabama.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

I can remember listening to quirky Mike Leach interviews when he was at Texas Tech. I thought he was the coolest dude ever then, and it might be because he was. I remember his exodus from Texas Tech and thinking it was a load of BS, and sure enough it was (even though his lawsuits never went anywhere that whole thing was a total sham orchestrated by Texas Tech admin and ESPN - even the kid said as much). Texas Tech went 84-43 in a stacked Big 12 with Mike Leach. They've gone 78-82 since. They deserve to lose from here to eternity for how they treated him.

It worked out for the PAC-12 though, because he brought wonders of personality to Washington State in a time when the PAC-12 desperately needed it. I think he helped that entire conference maintain relevancy in a time when they were doing everything they could to lose it. He passed with winning records at all three of the schools he coached at, in three difference conferences. That's no easy task.

If you could embody the best kind of dad - full of all the dad jokes, smarts, love, and charisma, and make them a damn good football coach, you'd have Mike Leach.

In a world full of Urban Meyers, be a Mike Leach. Rest easy, Pirate.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

44 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I hate this hire.   

It makes two teams in the B1G West worse, which is starting to kind of get impressive in a sad sort of way.

Just wait until next year when Minnesota goes 0-3 against their noncon schedule of Eastern Michigan, UNC, and Louisiana-Lafayette, goes 5-4 in conference play, wins a tiebreaker, and makes the B1G Championship at 5-7.