2022 NCAA Football Thread

53 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

One of the broadcasts yesterday brought up an interesting idea.  Why not let everyone play 5 years.   I like this especially with all of the transfers and early NFL entries.  

I think the way the portal started out was probably a fair system - you get one "free" transfer but a second after that and it costs you a year sitting out. But of course since those rules were rational they have been tossed to the side...

I'd go a step further - you have to decide at the end of your 1st year - it's either the right program for you or it isn't - after that no free moves. But at this point I don't see the system going back to being more restrictive - so it's going to be more chaos until whatever eventually replaces the NCAA takes shape.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think the way the portal started out was probably a fair system - you get one "free" transfer but a second after that and it costs you a year sitting out. But of course since those rules were rational they have been tossed to the side...

I'd go a step further - you have to decide at the end of your 1st year - it's either the right program for you or it isn't - after that no free moves. But at this point I don't see the system going back to being more restrictive - so it's going to be more chaos until whatever eventually replaces the NCAA takes shape.

they'll be signing contracts that tie them to one school for at least two, probably three years.  it will part of the collective bargaining agreement...

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The idea I heard floated around was that NIL money could be tied into bowl games, as a sort of bonus. $10k or whatever probably wouldn’t stop an NFL bound player from opting out, but it might make a transfer portal player wait until after their bowl game.

The simple solution is for the bowl game to set aside a couple hundred grand to pay a few top players that may otherwise sit out.   The problem is this money would come from the same pool that the con men running these games are grifting to themselves.   

21 hours ago, Hongbit said:

One of the broadcasts yesterday brought up an interesting idea.  Why not let everyone play 5 years.   I like this especially with all of the transfers and early NFL entries.  

I guess I don't see how this makes things better?  Maybe I am missing something.

19 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The idea I heard floated around was that NIL money could be tied into bowl games, as a sort of bonus. $10k or whatever probably wouldn’t stop an NFL bound player from opting out, but it might make a transfer portal player wait until after their bowl game.

Would employing a moratorium on the portal during the season solve that issue?  Same for coaching staff changes during bowl season?  I guess it doesn't stop under the table and behind the scenes dealings, but does perfect become the enemy of better?

Then I guess there is the little problem with no real true governing body for college football, so who is going to enforce anything anyway?

7 minutes ago, casimir said:

Would employing a moratorium on the portal during the season solve that issue?  Same for coaching staff changes during bowl season?  I guess it doesn't stop under the table and behind the scenes dealings, but does perfect become the enemy of better?

Then I guess there is the little problem with no real true governing body for college football, so who is going to enforce anything anyway?

It’s hard to really force a player to play. That rule might stop them from posting “I’m going to X” and getting a head start on work with X (which would probably be helpful in another way), but I don’t think they would be any more likely to play for Y in the bowl game. It would just be a badly kept secret that they were opting out with an intent to transfer.

2 hours ago, casimir said:

I guess I don't see how this makes things better?  Maybe I am missing something.

It won’t stop the portal.  That box is open and I don’t see it closing.  I think an extra year could slow down some of the urgency that underclassman feel to make their mark right away.   It will also help the majority of players that will never have a shot at an NFL training camp.

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

The result vs Georgia stinks, but I'm fine with the game.  Hell, down WR1, RB1 & RB2 going into the game, losing WR2 and TE1 during the game and OSU still held their own against the presumptive best team in CFB?  Can't blame the missed field goal either, that wasn't a chip shot by any means.  There were so many compelling plays that if they just tipped the other way.  Bowers stretching for the first and Smart getting the time out just in time before the successful fake field goal stand out to me.

If anything, the Peach Bowl just makes me wonder more what the heck happened vs Michigan.

LOL - I'm sure a point a minute blowout was just what ESPN was hoping to broadcast. 

It's marker for how far UM is from playing in Georgia's league. The may have Ryan Day's number, but their chances of winning out this year were never what the fans wanted to believe they were on Nov 27th. But that's what fandom is about - so it's cool.

29 minutes ago, buddha said:

if georgia fumbled twice inside the one and threw two pick sixes, they'd probably be losing too.

michigan is fine and - if harbaugh returns, - will be better next year.

sorry g2, i know how much that bothers you, lol.

I think another year of JJ in this system w/Blake and Donovan...Yeah...we should be back in the CFP at a minimum