6/19 1:40 Rangers @ Tigers

Motor City Sonics

22 minutes ago, buddha said:

youre the one who said that if the organization cared about the fans they would dfa him, right?  lol.

Yes, and I stand by that.     The way someone said "back bay-bee" it reminded me of that Frank Costanza moment. 

They should DFA (or trade him).   He's not part of the future and this season is lost.   

Can Cameron turn things around and consistently hit?

Has Reyes actually become a good hitter? 

Is Derek Hill more than just a defensive sub?

Can Meadows find his power again?

Need to answer these questions with a lot of playing time.   

I'm glad Robbie has a couple dingers finally, just for his mental health, but he still is more of a roadblock right now. 

I want to see Reyes every day.   I think he's actually good.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

26 minutes ago, buddha said:

youre the one who said that if the organization cared about the fans they would dfa him, right?  lol.

Robbie was on the trajectory to DFA City.

I'm happy that he appears to have course corrected, but he was pretty lifeless until this weekend.

Edited by mtutiger

Hill, Cameron and Reyes will all slot below Baddoo as Akil pulls himself together. Then the correct OF would be Grossman, Greene, Baddoo, and Meadows. The rest of them all get the chance to OPS 900 at Toledo to force another look. The obvious plan when they signed Meadows had to be that they would move Grossman sometime before the deadline, but he has played himself right out of the possibility of getting any return, not that much could have been expected, but whatever was, it will be less. Assuming they do move or release Grossman sometime after Meadows returns one of Hill, Cameron or Reyes gets the 4th OF spot. Basically right where they were at the beginning of April but Meadows replaces Grossman.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Hill, Cameron and Reyes will all slot below Baddoo as Akil pulls himself together. Then the correct OF would be Grossman, Greene, Baddoo, and Meadows. The rest of them all get the chance to OPS 900 at Toledo to force another look. The obvious plan when they signed Meadows had to be that they would move Grossman sometime before the deadline, but he has played himself right out of the possibility of getting any return, not that much could have been expected, but whatever was, it will be less. Assuming they do move or release Grossman sometime after Meadows returns one of Hill, Cameron or Reyes gets the 4th OF spot. Basically right where they were at the beginning of April but Meadows replaces Grossman.

Where does all of this leave Willi?

He's almost exclusively been an outfielder this year. 

14 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Where does all of this leave Willi?

He's almost exclusively been an outfielder this year. 

Good question. I think his IF days are over, but the only way I see him holding a spot is if Baddoo falters  - which he may but he's gaining momentum fast, or Meadows comes down with some additional plague. Truth is Willi has only looked adequate as a hitter by comparison with the futility of the rest of the lineup. His June OPS is still under 700. 2 HR in 160 AB and 3% walk rate.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Good question. I think his IF days are over, but the only way I see him holding a spot is if Baddoo falters  - which he may but he's gaining momentum fast, or Meadows comes down with some additional plague. Truth is Willi has only looked adequate as a hitter by comparison with the futility of the rest of the lineup. His June OPS is still under 700. 2 HR in 160 AB and 3% walk rate.

Yes, Willi isn't a good enough hitter to play the outfield, especially the way that he plays it.  He is a .620 OPS guy, marginally higher at the moment, and that mysterious interlude of 2019 - 2020 where he could actually hit is disappearing quickly in the rear view mirror.  You can't have a .620 guy in the outfield unless he is Gary Pettis.

16 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes, Willi isn't a good enough hitter to play the outfield, especially the way that he plays it.  He is a .620 OPS guy, marginally higher at the moment, and that mysterious interlude of 2019 - 2020 where he could actually hit is disappearing quickly in the rear view mirror.  You can't have a .620 guy in the outfield unless he is Gary Pettis.

So that works for Hill, Cameron, or Reyes... and we hope 1 of them can do a lot better than that...

But there are reasons it would work for those guys and not Willi.

I'm on board with the dump Grossman contingent. He's outlived his usefulness to me.

20 hours ago, kdog said:

Reyes is not good...he doesn't walk and doesn't have power. Eventually he'll stop making contact. 

He might be a good depth piece. But if he plays everyday, he will regress to career norms or worse.

This is the year he finally hits for power!

37 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm on board with the dump Grossman contingent. He's outlived his usefulness to me.

They probably need to see if he can keep this hot streak going so as to increase his value on trade. Example below of how he may have value if he's playing a little better:

Edited by mtutiger

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

They probably need to see if he can keep this hot streak going so as to increase his value on trade. Example below of how he may have value if he's playing a little better:

Coincidentally enough I just saw a tweet from Beck that the Dodgers are indeed close to acquiring an OF from the Tigers but not Grossman, instead former Dodger and brother of Klay in Trayce Thompson who the Tigers have been playing in Toledo. I haven't been paying attention but apparently he has been pretty solid hitting .299 with 9 bombs in only 25 games. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Coincidentally enough I just saw a tweet from Beck that the Dodgers are indeed close to acquiring an OF from the Tigers but not Grossman, instead former Dodger and brother of Klay in Trayce Thompson who the Tigers have been playing in Toledo. I haven't been paying attention but apparently he has been pretty solid hitting .299 with 9 bombs in only 25 games. 

Hmmm....

Is this one of those cases where if the Dodgers want him we don't want to be trading him?  :classic_wink:

Edited by gehringer_2

I was looking at Trayce Thompson's career a couple of days ago and for most of the time since 2012 he was pretty useless, but then at age 28 started to hit a little bit with some power. That was 2019, didn't play 2020, and continued his sudden transformation in 2021 and 2022.  I don't understand why the Tigers acquired him, he was never going to get a callup and the team had plenty of AAA outfielders already.