08/11/2022 1:10 EDT Cleveland Guardians at Detroit Tigers

casimir

42 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I have not been listening, but watching the games...is he injured?  If so sure.

The team blows, all the players are playing well below what they should be playing at...all the kids who deserved a shot got one, Miggy is still Miggy.

Miggy is not still Miggy.  You just said you haven’t been paying attention, so I guess you wouldn’t realize how awful he is now.

24 minutes ago, casimir said:

Miggy is not still Miggy.  You just said you haven’t been paying attention, so I guess you wouldn’t realize how awful he is now.

I watch just about every game.  I said I have not been LISTENING as much...ie all the talk etc.  As far as I know his name is still Miguel Cabrera.  Also everyone else blows..he blows...just not as much.

3 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Still worthwhile to bring him up and take a look.

It's a lost season... one without the old GM who picked all these players.

Now is about the most ideal time possible to start bringing guys up and giving them a look before a new GM takes over.

Whether the scouts have a good take on the guy at the point Carpenter reached is pretty much irrelevant. If a guy has an OPS >1000, there isn't much he going to gain from looking at more AAA pitching - so he's either going to break through or not. Either way once he's no longer challenged at AAA there really is nothing more to do other give him his shot and see what happens. Your development system doesn't exist for the benefit of AAA, it exists to determine if the guy can make it or not.

In Kody's case, his minor league clock is running out - same deal, you have to prove what you do or don't have. In Baddoo's case, I'd have been fine with him staying in Toledo until he had proven more. My complaint with the handling of Baddoo is that wherever you have him, he needs to be playing every day

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Whether the scouts have a good take on the guy at point Carpenter reached is pretty much irrelevant. If a guy has an OPS >1000, there isn't much he going to gain from looking at more AAA pitching - so he's either going to break through or not. Either way once he's no longer challenged at AAA there really is nothing more to do that give him his shot and see what happens. Your development system doesn't exist for the benefit of AAA, it exists to determine if the guy can make it or not.

And again, this team is now 27 games under .500. I dont know many fans that expected Kerry Carpenter to be great upon reaching the majors, but with the GM who built this team now gone, there may not be a time where there is as little cost to purchase a contract and a give a guy a look as there is now. Whether it's Carpenter or Kreidler or Brendon Davis or whoever.

We all know what we have in Daz Cameron. There's literally no harm in looking at someone else, as the Tigers Player Development folks have clearly signaled at this point.