Tigers Hire Scott Harris as President of Baseball Operations

oblong

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

My guess is that Scott Harris felt he was ready for the big chair but knew he'd be blocked in San Francisco for as long as Farhan Zaidi wants to. I'm hoping he took copious how-to-build-a-front-office notes in his three years there as second banana.

I’m guessing he just wanted to live somewhere nicer than San Francisco.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So, what I want to know, is Harris seen as sufficiently committed to analyitics to the extent that if he fails,  fans will not be able to scapegoat the Tigers' organization for their failure to embrace the new covenant?

We've been hearing since the day Jim Leyland departed that the nu-thinking was going to replace the antiquated ways of the past,  new equipment, new staff, and new disciplines,....and each time (the plan)  fell short ...there was always the ready excuse that the new thinking was not properly implemented.

Can we at least say with this  current chapter, that  particular cop-out is no longer on the table?

22 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Maybe them actually hiring a GM away from San Francisco doesn't technically  disprove it, but RJ Anderson's take that Detroit was a "bad job" looks worse after hiring a guy who turned down the Mets last year 

Cohen spooked some folks. Remember at the time he was known for airing dirty laundry on Twitter.

1 minute ago, casimir said:

Sooooo...... Cabrera.......

I almost thought of creating a thread called "Hold 'Em or Fold 'Em?

Hold 'Em:

Tork, Greene,Kreidler, Carpenter,Parker Meadows, Austin Meadows, Eric Haase, Javy, E- Rod

Fold 'Em:

Miggy, Daz Cameron, Kody Clemons (too old for a prospect), Zack Short, Drew Hutchinson, Barnhardt,Candelario, Garcia

On the Bubble:

Anyone Named Castro, Schoop

Miggy needs to be gone. Now.

3 hours ago, CMU97 said:

... This has potential to be better than hiring DD.

I knew DD quite well (I mean... not personally) as I was in Ft. Lauderdale area during his time with the Marlins... and watched as he built a championship team from scratch, and then was forced to dismantle the team (by Huizenga) and traded his guys away for the next round of guys that helped build the next Marlins championship team.

I also knew about his time with the White Sox and Expos (especially the Expos)...

I let out a huge scream of approval upon the Tigers hiring him. I knew that... he would build championship level teams for the Tigers (shame we didn't get a title out of his time here...), would be a trading fiend (did not disappoint there, at all...), and would build a draft & develop organization that would be augmented with FA's to get those champ level teams. Wait... what? That last one... to my never-ending disappointment... he did not do.

I know almost nothing about this new guy. 

But...

I think you might be right.

Proof will be that the org does get into the 21st century with analytics/ does draft and develop properly/ and also builds championship level teams. 

So... we'll see.

It looks like he's the guy to do the 1st two items (modern analytics and a true D&D Org, and he may build a great team based on his personality); but winning will be the final proof and will establish his legacy with the Tigers...

2 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I like the hire. Not an internal promotion and not associated with AJ Hinch or Houston. No obligations to the past or any current employee. Anxious to hear him speak. Going to be a fun off season. 

"Hello, I'm Scott.  I'm happy to be here.  Look, let's be honest, this team sucks and there's a lot to do.  But I'm getting a lot of good suggestions off of motownforums."

• Haha 1