Tigers Hire Scott Harris as President of Baseball Operations

oblong

I really like what Harris said about the importance of the strike zone and all of the possible effects.  Leverage & strategy by pitch counts, workloads on pitchers by game/series, the degree of contact off of the bat.  I think its something that is understood to those that follow the game.  But its nice to hear it from a top level executive as simply and concisely as he put it.

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

I really like what Harris said about the importance of the strike zone and all of the possible effects.  Leverage & strategy by pitch counts, workloads on pitchers by game/series, the degree of contact off of the bat.  I think its something that is understood to those that follow the game.  But its nice to hear it from a top level executive as simply and concisely as he put it.

TBH, a couple of years ago Al spent a good deal of time talking about the need to instill more zone awareness/discipline in the Tigers system. Wanting to do it is the easy part - drafting and developing to do it is a lot harder. Also to be honest the Tigers have had some recent success stories with MiLB players improving their K rates: Meadows, Lipcius, Carpenter, and some disappointments on the same score - Workman comes to mind.....

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

TBH, a couple of years ago Al spent a good deal of time talking about the need to instill more zone awareness/discipline in the Tigers system. Wanting to do it is the easy part - drafting and developing to do it is a lot harder. Also to be honest the Tigers have had some recent success stories with MiLB players improving their K rates: Meadows, Lipcius, Carpenter, and some disappointments on the same score - Workman comes to mind.....

Maybe Harris brings Avila back as GM?  They have that common vision of the strike zone.

4 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I think the Tigers going forward will be a lot more active on the back end of the 40 man roster and on the edges of the roster.

Actually...

I'm thinking the opposite...

When Harris says "calculated risks", I'm not thinking back-end or edges of the roster...

I'm thinking more along the lines of grabbing a young superstar that a payroll-conscious team believes they can no longer afford, or that they'll lose in FA for basically nothing. I mean... not to rehash or throw out hopes for another Miggy trade but...

I'm just going to guess that Harris is shooting for higher end "calculated risks" than back-enders... Guys who are maybe 1 year from FA, with no guarantees that we can re-sign them (until we get them inside the Org...); and the team believes that they just cannot squeeze him into their future salary structure or that the guy wants FA no matter what. I don't think we want the no matter what guys.. we want the squeezed by small-market team wages limitations...

Just thinking out loud...

Anyone that looks like that...?

27 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Actually...

When Harris says "calculated risks", I'm not thinking back-end or edges of the roster...

I'm thinking more along the lines of grabbing a young superstar that a payroll-conscious team believes they can no longer afford, or that they'll lose in FA for basically nothing. I mean... not to rehash or throw out hopes for another Miggy trade but...

I'm just going to guess that Harris is shooting for higher end "calculated risks" than back-enders... Guys who are maybe 1 year from FA, with no guarantees that we can re-sign them (until we get them inside the Org...); and the team believes that they just cannot squeeze him into their future salary structure or that the guy wants FA no matter what. I don't think we want the no matter what guys.. we want the squeezed by small-market team wages limitations...

They aren't mutually exclusive.

The Giants have been active on waivers and buying low on some guys the past couple years, and have probably been as platoon and match-up heavy as any team in that time.

8 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

What a stream of horseshit.

Asinine. Pure insanity.

A little bit better.

Excuse me? No, it's NOT a fucking pipe dream.

I'm not going to agree, or disagree with this. This may, or may not, be correct.

But this isn't answered until all the broke pieces that are still around in 2024, and the new pieces coming up, show us what they can or cannot do in 2023.

which again, and to your point, shouldn't exclude this team from signing or trading for a key player (Correa or otherwise). If the opportunity is there, do it. But I have zero interest in finding another Grossman or Schoop to add to the team. It's Correa (or similar level of talent or better) or Bust for me. It's time to let the kids show what they can do, which might take another year or two, before making moves that add icing to the cake. But the cake needs to be baked with these kids, not with more crappy FA's that don't do squat long-term for this team.

Stop with the insulting responses. 
Really. Stop it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

12 hours ago, casimir said:

So, Wilmer Flores the 3Bdude was chatted about here as a possible 3B option for next season.  He resigned with the Giants.  I wonder what involvement Harris had with that?  Couldn't he give him a wink and a nod before finalizing that deal?

It's an interesting question. It seems like a wise move for Farhan and the Giants to extend him given the circumstances 

Edited by mtutiger
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Edman85 said:

The Giants have been active on waivers and buying low on some guys the past couple years, and have probably been as platoon and match-up heavy as any team in that time.

This is one thing that particularly bothered me with how this year played out... one of the worst offenses in the modern era and yet (at least until Al was canned) tepid interest in making 40 man moves to bolster the roster. Even if they were marginal or involved some risk.

The Giants did a lot of this. But also teams like the Orioles who have risen in the ranks have found value on the waiver wire and have found contributors in the process.

In the press conference, Harris said something about Detroit becoming a destination for players to become their best. That really stood out to me because this season some players have been performing at their worst.

CJ Cron came to Detroit, had a down year and ended up injured. Then he goes to Colorado and has a career year. Hopefully Harris can find those players who are driven to have a career year in Detroit and don't cost too much.

32 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

In the press conference, Harris said something about Detroit becoming a destination for players to become their best. That really stood out to me because this season some players have been performing at their worst.

CJ Cron came to Detroit, had a down year and ended up injured. Then he goes to Colorado and has a career year. Hopefully Harris can find those players who are driven to have a career year in Detroit and don't cost too much.

In fairness to Cron, that "season" in Detroit was COVID 2020 and he only played 13 games.  You look at his stats, and that is the outlier "season" for him, but its just a short sample size.

Someone like Cron would be great this offseason if they could find one that plays OF and/or 3B.

52 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Let's not make things up. Cron played a total of 13 games. Hit 4 homers and had a .894 OPS which was 80 points higher than any point in his career up to that point. His SO/BB ratio was also by far the best in his career. In no way shape or form was it a down year, albeit in crazy limited time.

Here's every major league free agent signed by the Giants during Harris's tenure.

12/3/2019 Tyler Anderson
12/10/2019 Kevin Gausman
1/16/2020 Drew Smyly
2/7/2020 Hunter Pence
2/9/2020 Billy Hamilton
2/12/2020 Wilmer Flores
11/11/2020 Kevin Gausman
11/10/2020 Jason Vosler
12/8/2020 Matt wisler
12/16/2020 Anthony DeSclafani
12/21/2020 John Brebbia
1/4/2021 Curt Casali
1/14/2021 Alex Wood
2/4/2021 Tommy La Stella
2/17/2021 Jake McGee
2/21/2021 Aaron Sanchez
11/17/2021 Brandon Belt
11/22/2021 Anthony DeSclafani
11/30/2021 Alex Cobb
12/1/2021 Alex Wood
3/14/2022 Carlos Rodon
3/14/2022 Jakob Junis
3/17/2022 Joc Pederson
3/20/2022 Matthew Boyd
7/21/2022 Trevor Rosenthal

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

It's an interesting question. It seems like a wise move for Farhan and the Giants to extend him given the circumstances 

IMO signing Wilmer Flores would be a Al Avila move, not a Harris move. Flores is a 31 year old 1B/3B with a 731 OPS. He below average glove at third and is slow. If you have a winning team and need to plug a hole on the cheap, OK. But the guy is unlikely to breakout and become a first division regular, which is what the Tigers desperately need. 

23 hours ago, casimir said:

I can see a durable middle rotation SP, a RHH OF, and an IF as likely targets this offseason.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they just go SP and RHH OF.  There's not much available on the IF front in FA.

One thing to keep in might with Free agent SP..not a whole lot this year but 2024 is just loaded with pitchers. So it might be best since its unlikely we're gonna win a ton next year just to do a back end guy let see who gets healthy/good and then load up in 2024. 

50 minutes ago, KL2 said:

One thing to keep in might with Free agent SP..not a whole lot this year but 2024 is just loaded with pitchers. So it might be best since its unlikely we're gonna win a ton next year just to do a back end guy let see who gets healthy/good and then load up in 2024. 

Personally I would place the OF & IF at higher priority than SP.  I hadn't considered who is available in 2024.

20 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Actually...

Yes. How about Shoehi Othani  ??

23 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I thought I had answered this already but I don't see my post...

I guess it either "disappeared" or I was just imagining things...

But, anyways...

Yeah... I get that... trolling the waiver wire and churning through guys trying to see what sticks is perfectly fine by me...

And I saw the references to the Giants doing exactly that...

I'm still thinking, or hoping... he finds an unconventional method to also bring in some very high level talent as I had pointed out.

But yeah, not mutually exclusive.

4 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Yes. How about Shoehi Othani  ??

Is he obtainable?

I wouldn't know that or not...

But also... I'm thinking that's highly not likely as the Angels will do everything possible to keep him long term. Just guessing. I don't think they are hurting for money... and I could see them offering to buy out arbitration years in a huge contract.

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Is he obtainable?

I wouldn't know that or not...

But also... I'm thinking that's highly not likely as the Angels will do everything possible to keep him long term. Just guessing. I don't think they are hurting for money... and I could see them offering to buy out arbitration years in a huge contract.

I doubt he is available. Just someone that met your inquiry and represents risk taking to acquire. Don’t think we have the right assets they need. Sure would be fun though.