Tigers Hire Scott Harris as President of Baseball Operations

oblong

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Regarding Yzerman being named in the presser, going by Beck it sounds like him and Harris were acquaintances after meeting at Wrigley a few years back so perhaps Steve's role was to put in a good word about Chris/Ilitches and the city of Detroit and their fanbase in general.

There’s always a Chelios connection somewhere. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

well, it is too much to ask that Miggy is shown the door, but at least Harris addressed it the best he could

taking calculated risks? Yes, please.

I wouldn't say flat out this could never happen, but I really do think giving the gate to Miggy would create more noise around the organization than Baby Doc would want to put up with. I think he'll get limited ABs and spend a lot of time next year on the IL, perhaps even the 60-day at the end.

41 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Winning will take care of that.

I dont think that they can achieve winning without first increasing payroll.

The minimum definition of "winning" in this context is successive winning seasons.  If Harris isnt able to produce this without another interminable delay of more than 3-5 years, that would be a fail.

In my opinion, there is no way that they will have successive winning seasons in the next 3-5 years without **first** achieving a league average team payroll. 

Miggys wasted $$ in 2023 notwithstanding, they are going to be $45M below average.  They will need that $$ to help fill major gaping holes that the minor leagues does not have the capacity to fill.

They desperately need to find a handful of new players beyond their existing roster/system who can produce league average production: . 

And any new draft picks are going to need at minimum 3 years and likely 4 or 5 years to provide better than average performance (2.5+ WAR).

They need to draft, develop, sign intl players, make good trades....and absolutely, sign several good free agents.

7 hours ago, sabretooth said:

The minimum definition of "winning" in this context is successive winning seasons.  If Harris isnt able to produce this without another interminable delay of more than 3-5 years, that would be a fail.

In my opinion, there is no way that they will have successive winning seasons in the next 3-5 years without **first** achieving a league average team payroll. 

Miggys wasted $$ in 2023 notwithstanding, they are going to be $45M below average.  They will need that $$ to help fill major gaping holes that the minor leagues does not have the capacity to fill.

They desperately need to find a handful of new players beyond their existing roster/system who can produce league average production: . 

And any new draft picks are going to need at minimum 3 years and likely 4 or 5 years to provide better than average performance (2.5+ WAR).

They need to draft, develop, sign intl players, make good trades....and absolutely, sign several good free agents.

I'd add in that the pixy dust being used on some of the pitching needs to continue as well as continued growth from Torkelson and Greene.

One thing that I liked about the presser was the emphasis on getting into the work to continuously improve rather than structure goals around a 3 to 5 year plan to improve.  They have players to reasonably build around (there's some risk with younger players, but I think Torkelson & Greene are cornerstones to bank on offensively & defensively), they have the capacity to add players (as you mention with the $45M below average), and they have some bench filler pieces to work with. 

It just seems like with Avila, it was sit back and tank, rely on the odds of higher draft slots working out in the long term.  Well, that might work in the long run, but its not a guarantee.  And along the way, there's still the major league product to worry about.  That's the reason the organization exists and it can't be ignore for season after season after season.

52 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

I'm sorry that Harris had to go through the interview during the game with Shep and Jack Morris. Those two are insufferable. Like two kids trying to impress the new teacher.

I didn't think Shepard was that bad with the interview.  Morris, on the other hand, ... ugh.  I don't recall the exact ridiculous question Morris asked, but it was obvious Shepard tried to clean it up and save face for the broadcast crew while lining up another question for Harris.  Honestly, given dancing around the uncertainty of how a baseball inning goes, and it obviously clear to either side whether it was due to go one half inning or one full inning, I would think that's not the easiest interview to pull off.  Add in the fact that this is the first time these guys have talked to each other, so its not like the interview with Tyler Alexander where there is some already existent familiarity among the group.

And kudos to Harris for playing along with Morris.  Again, I don't remember the exact question, and it might not have even been a question but rather Drunk Uncle Jack rambling on and he finished up with "I can't wait to pick your brain" to Harris.  Harris offered the same line back to Morris when he could have just brushed it off.  It seems like Harris does place some weight into different perspectives and data points, and (OK, kids, here is where you make sure you aren't driving or operating heavy machinery) maybe Morris might something to offer every once in a while.  Or maybe, and probably moreso, Harris was just smart enough to play nice.

10 hours ago, sabretooth said:

The Tigers are going to finish the year losing 100 games, that doesn't sound like a jumping off point to bring in a bunch of free agents.

I believe they will not spend much money this year, at least on multi year deals, and evaluate the numerous starting pitchers they have in various stages of recovery. 

They are where they are and the prudent play is to treat 2023 like another year of rebuilding, which again what a team coming off 100 losses should do. If they get some luck on the health of their young starters and a couple of the decent prospects they have pan out they will have something to build around.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stanley70 said:

The Tigers are going to finish the year losing 100 games, that doesn't sound like a jumping off point to bring in a bunch of free agents.

I believe they will not spend much money this year, at least on multi year deals, and evaluate the numerous starting pitchers they have in various stages of recovery. 

They are where they are and the prudent play is to treat 2023 like another year of rebuilding, which again what a team coming off 100 losses should do. If they get some luck on the health of their young starters and a couple of the decent prospects they have pan out they will have something to build around.

I approve this message.

Disagree. Keep building right now. This winter, by trade or free agency, they need to add: one OF starter, one IF starter, and one starting pitcher.

Free agency is in no small dictated by supply. Last winter and this winter, there are SSs available. Conversely, If you want an OF this winter, it is a mega contract to Judge, solid player in Nimmo, and then a big group of blah. There are no decent options for 3b or C (except for Contreras). No idea who is available 2023 or 2024, but they need to know because you can only buy what is a available.

38 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Disagree. Keep building right now. This winter, by trade or free agency, they need to add: one OF starter, one IF starter, and one starting pitcher.

Free agency is in no small dictated by supply. Last winter and this winter, there are SSs available. Conversely, If you want an OF this winter, it is a mega contract to Judge, solid player in Nimmo, and then a big group of blah. There are no decent options for 3b or C (except for Contreras). No idea who is available 2023 or 2024, but they need to know because you can only buy what is a available.

They have to figure out what they have in Mize, Turnball, Manning, Skubal, and Breiske. Not sure why they bring in a SP by free agency or trade when they have those guys plus Erod and a few decent prospects getting closer to being ready.

When it comes to every day players they may or may not have needs a damn near every position. Whatever offensive virus infected the team last year must be eradicated and they need to determine what they have in guys like Badoo, Tork, etc. There are a few prospects  that are not the can't miss type that they should see what they have in as well.

It sucks but money can't fix this team overnight. And given the uncertainty of so many players it is debatable of where to even spend it.

Edited by Stanley70

I don't think anyone will object to a 1-year evaluation period before pulling the switch on bigger plans.  But an evaluation year doesn't require that they stand pat either.