Biden's presidency

ewsieg

On 1/17/2023 at 10:03 AM, mtutiger said:

Curious to see some polling on the GOP Race now that the immediate aftermath of the Midterms are behind us. DeSantis had a boomlet initially, but I suspect it was temporary 

I think if there is a bunch of candidates like 2016,  Trump will win the nomination.  If they consolidate around one opponent, they may be able to beat him.

On 1/17/2023 at 10:03 AM, mtutiger said:

Curious to see some polling on the GOP Race now that the immediate aftermath of the Midterms are behind us. DeSantis had a boomlet initially, but I suspect it was temporary 

Trump is dominating all the polls:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2024/president/us/2024_republican_presidential_nomination-7548.html#polls

The only way I can see Trump can become president is to do something blatantly anti-democratic or fascist, such as literally rig the election, or mobilize the military or various militias against the people, or forced open voting where everyone has to publicly declare who they are voting for in front of officials and police—something along those lines. Third-world republic-type tactics.

But now that everyone knows what Trump and the Republicans are all about, they’ve pretty much established the extent of their voter base. Much of what they believe, and how they act, in is inimical to what most Americans believe and want (although a substantial minority of people think they are just fucking dandy). But I simply can’t see where in an open first-world democracy, people who’ve been voting Democratic, or even flipping between the two based on the economic concerns of a specific moment in time, would conclude, “You know, I didn’t know much about these Republicans before, but I really like the way they go after the Biden Crime Family and how they want to slam the door shut in all foreigners’ faces. I really like the cut of their jib.” I can see more and more people peeling off from the red hat margins as the Republicans, both elected and candidates, become increasingly repugnant, but I can’t see how normal gentle people who have nothing against entire other groups of people simply peel off Biden et al and move over to this version of the Republicans.

I suppose the Republicans could try to orchestrate something terrible economically or safety-wise that would result in tens of millions of people’s retirements or fortunes wiped out, or millions dead, that they can blame the Democrats for, but as long as there is a free and fair election in which they are relying on the people to “do the right thing”, even that would be a risky proposition. It’s always risky to rely on the free will of the voters. That’s why autocrats and fascists don’t.

Edited by chasfh

7 minutes ago, oblong said:

The republicans are fucked.  They killed themselves from COVID, their base has shrunk.  McCarthy is a hostage and any shenanigans they try to pull will totally backfire.  Trump is powerless.

Exactly … as long as free and fair democracy prevails …

15 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Yeah, this is the issue... the mainstream or even organs of GOP thought can talk about moving on all they want, but it all comes down to the primary voters and what they want.

Even in a H2H match-up, I don't know if Ronny wins enough primaries against Trump, I really don't. 

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

The only way I can see Trump can become president is to do something blatantly anti-democratic or fascist, such as literally rig the election, or mobilize the military or various militias against the people, or forced open voting where everyone has to publicly declare who they are voting for in front of officials and police—something along those lines. Third-world republic-type tactics.

They didn't do that when he was President.  How are they going to do it when the other party is still mostly in power? 

If there was an easy way to steal the election why didn't Trump do it in 2020?  If there was, we know he would have done it.   

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

They didn't do that when he was President.  How are they going to do it when the other party is still mostly in power? 

If there was an easy way to steal the election why didn't Trump do it in 2020?  If there was, we know he would have done it.   

If it was simply incompetence the 1st time around, maybe he's learned a few things.

And you do have to wonder how close it came. If Trump were not such a physically lazy SOB and had been willing to just get out of the limo and walk to the Capitol that day, where might we be? 

Edited by gehringer_2

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Exactly. I didn't mean to imply that any of what I said they would need to do is easy or they definitely will do it—although they would if they could. I just meant to say only that these would be the only ways I can think of that they would win.

As long as there's a free and fair democracy, they can't win nationally. They are too well-known an entity at this point.

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If it was simply incompetence the 1st time around, maybe he's learned a few things.

And you do have to wonder how close it came. If Trump were not such a physically lazy SOB and had been willing to just get out of the limo and walk to the Capitol that day, where might we be? 

He's still lazy and incompetent as are most of his strongest allies. 

On 1/15/2023 at 4:28 PM, pfife said:

I love how Republicans think everything they shit over would have turned the election had it happened before the election.    It's hilarious and also bullshit 

Didn't say a word about their 30% sales tax before the election.  They should shut their bleeping mouths. 

On 1/14/2023 at 4:52 PM, Edman85 said:

This is not a defense of Biden or Trump, re: documents, but I have a feeling there was a lot of document disorganization for people with security clearance in 2020. Records laws don't really account for an abrupt shift to remote work. I've had printed out aircraft drawings in my spare bedroom for almost three years now. They aren't classified at all, but the type of thing that really shouldn't be in my house.

This post looking better and better every day 

32 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

This post looking better and better every day 

Thanks, but it just makes so much sense. The abrupt shift to work from home for a lot of non politicians, combined with the existential dread of that time period led to a lot of precautions normally taken not being so.

• Like 1