Biden's presidency

ewsieg

I agree with what he's saying.... totally. I said earlier here that I wouldn't be surprised if every living former POTUS and VPOTUS had some classified docs mixed in with regular papers with no sinister motives.  IT's what they do when they find out that matters.

I just don't believe in his sincerity.  After his shenanigans with Lewinsky impeachment vs. Trump impeachment along with the way he treated the SC appointments with regard to Garland and Barret.... he might be the most blatant hypocrite in Washington.

There should be statues of Pence, right next to Biden.  They made a tiny little mistake, but did some of the bravest things that no one else here could honestly say they would have the courage to do and notified the right people.  

Biden/Pence 2024  - The courage to do the right thing, even if yourself or those you hired were incompetent. 

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

To be fair, he also said he didn't believe Biden did anything nefarious as well earlier today. 

In general, he's been one of the more level headed folks on the GOP side on this

I also do not think Pence was doing anything nefarious.  I absolutely can not say the same thing about Trump.  

So I saw someone that everyone here would disregard, most of the time that would include me, mention something about Biden's documents and so I went searching.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jan/22/justice-department-finds-more-classified-documents-at-joe-bidens-home

Some of the classified documents and “surrounding materials” dated from Biden’s tenure in the Senate, where he represented Delaware from 1973 to 2009, according to his lawyer, Bob Bauer.

I get the POTUS and the VPOTUS having some documents mixed in with personal documents, but seems to me that would be a lot harder to do as a senator or rep.  

13 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

So I saw someone that everyone here would disregard, most of the time that would include me, mention something about Biden's documents and so I went searching.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jan/22/justice-department-finds-more-classified-documents-at-joe-bidens-home

I get the POTUS and the VPOTUS having some documents mixed in with personal documents, but seems to me that would be a lot harder to do as a senator or rep.  

Chairman of the foreign relations committee?

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Chairman of the foreign relations committee?

I'm not saying he wasn't in a role where he wouldn't have access, but the initial response from the congress politician Sunday morning talking heads after the Trump raid stressed how they had to go to SCIF's in order to view these materials and the MAGA counter was since Trump was in the white house, obviously stuff could get mixed.  That was scoffed at, until the Biden doc issue came up.

But that should only cover him for his VP role.  Granted, many different levels of classification, no idea what the one traced back to his Senate days was, still, this is a very bad look.  

I think Graham is closet to the truth, too much of what is classified is for domestic political and bureaucratic protection purposes as opposed to protection of justified matters of clandestine sources or military technology. I have to believe that when people see that stuff they are handling isn't really all that important, it has to drive down the care they are willing to take.

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think Graham is closet to the truth, too much of what is classified is for domestic political and bureaucratic protection purposes as opposed to protection of justified matters of clandestine sources or military technology. I have to believe that when people see that stuff they are handling isn't really all that important, it has to drive down the care they are willing to take.

which is justified by the fact that the National Archives KNEW what was missing in Trump's case and were asking for it whereas in Biden and Pence's situation nobody knew they were "missing".

I viewed some of the just released JFK assassination records declassified a few weeks ago and it's things like "FBI agent called X and confirmed employment in 1959...."

49 minutes ago, oblong said:

If someone said that you can only view classified info in a SCIF then they are wrong.

SCIF's are for certain types of classified info.

One of the funnier quips around my career field is to respond to someone baiting us with evil or danger with "Not today, ISIS" which is my way of saying.  I'm not weighing in on this. 

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

He's barely in the closet anymore. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

You need to add in 'Cover Your Ass' which may be the biggest cause for too much classification.  I'm confident there is a decent portion classified at a higher level because a 'well, just in case, i'll cover my ass and mark it as this' too. 

I had a verbal reprimand once for sending public IP's to a co-worker via email.  Their manager was copied and was outraged that I'd send 'sensitive' information via email, even though all public IP information is required to have owner/contact information assigned in a public registry.  Additionally In working with federal customers, they seem to be bigger on CYA for day to day work than any commercial customers I've dealt with.  Obviously that last part is anecdotal though. 

Edited by ewsieg

On 1/24/2023 at 4:07 PM, ewsieg said:

There should be statues of Pence, right next to Biden.  They made a tiny little mistake, but did some of the bravest things that no one else here could honestly say they would have the courage to do and notified the right people.  

Biden/Pence 2024  - The courage to do the right thing, even if yourself or those you hired were incompetent. 

What are you even saying anymore?